Blocs 2.5.0 Beta Build 8

Blocs 2.5 Beta Build 8.

Build 8 mainly focuses on fixes with a few new additions here and there.

New In This Build - Highlights

• Added ability to set image alt values on carousel slides.

• Fixed issue with images being stretched in Asset Manager.

• Fixed various layout issues with adding columns to rows.

So here it is folks Blocs 2.5. This release includes lots of new features and fixes. The biggest one of course is the new Asset Manager. I’ve pulled together some notes that you need to read before you start using this versions as files saved in 2.5 will not load all new asset data in older versions of Blocs.

Important Read Me

Blocs 2.5 replaces the old Asset Manager (the only remaining part of the app from Blocs version 1) with a new and improved one. There are lots of benefits to the new Manager but there are also some important things you need to be aware of before you use this beta.

File Data Structure
The data structure of files saved in Blocs 2.5 is different to previous versions. Any changes made in Blocs 2.5 regarding project assets will not be reflected if you open the project up in a version before 2.5. So adding new assets, removing them and grouping them will have no effect when you open the file in a version of Blocs before 2.5. This is because Blocs 2.5 writes a new data structure to the Blocs file that previous versions of Blocs can’t read.

You will need to make backups of your work before you use Blocs 2.5 and only these backups as once a file is changed and saved within 2.5, the changes made to the asset data structure will not be loaded in older versions of the app.

What Happens to the old asset data structure?
That will remain within the file so if you do go back to an older version of Blocs your original data structure will still exist, but it wont include any changes you may have made to it within 2.5.

Groups
One of the main new features in the new Asset Manager is the grouping function. You can create your own groups and all assets can be added to multiple groups, including the stock images. Please note, at this time groups cannot be nested within other groups, grouping is one level only.

Basic Notes

Select All - Hold command when clicking the select button to select all assets within a group.

Pattern Group - Any image asset added to the pattern group will automatically have its style value set to repeat when applied to a bloc background.

Tile Background Colour - If you add an image that has a transparent background and requires a light background colour. This can be set by right clicking the asset tile and selecting a light or dark background colour.

Smart Search
Start search query with @ followed by group name to show group contents. After the group name add : then search term to search that group for search term, for example @photos:mountains will show all mountain images in the photos group. You can also use @hosted to show all hosted assets.

Ok so you know you need to use project backups with 2.5 and new Asset Manager data wont be read by the old the Asset Manager :sunglasses:

Oh and don’t forget to hard reload the beta page incase your cache blocks it.

Download Blocs 2.5

1 Like

Good to see those alt tags on the carousel.

2 Likes

I’ve just uploaded some changes after adding some alt tags to carousel images and I wanted to check if the alt tags where there, but I can’t find anything. First I tried disabling images, expecting to see text but the area was blank. Next I tried reviewing the source code and I can find references to the different images, but no associated alt tags.

Is there some other way I should be checking for this? It doesn’t feel like the alt tags are being saved and exported properly.

EDIT: OK I just checked the local exported file and it’s there as it should be, but not showing up in the browser, when checked in the developer tools for some reason. It may be LightSpeed being unhelpful.

I have been using the alt tag option for quiet a lot images. What I have recognized is that none of the browser are showing the descriptions while hovering.
This is a bit strange as these are ment also for handicaped and not only for SEO.
Just for information.
If no one else has this issue the fault might be on me side.

I’m not seeing it either and that includes previous images uploaded before this option was added to the carousel. I just checked on a site done with another design app and the description does appear on hover, but only where it links to another page. In Blocs it’s not even doing that.

Good to know it´s not only me seeing this-Thanks.

The meaning of alt tags is basicly a barrier free handling for people with handicaps.
Therfore this is one point how it influences SEO.

Example of a German news channel - showing alt tag description.

https://www.scitent.com/2016/02/24/barrier-free-website-design-creating-accessible-sites/

Sounds like a cache issue.

Yes I think so as well. I’ve noticed this a lot lately since enabling LightSpeed on the server. It basically has to be disabled during any fresh uploads and it’s more sticky than CloudFlare.

yeah server caching is a MPITA, I personally only use it when I know a site is going to remain the same for 2-3 months.

That makes sense, but I have several sites on the same server and many will remain untouched for many months. The setting in cPanel automatically applies to all domains. This particular site is being updated in part as Blocs develops and I’m using it as a sort of testing ground.

1 Like

I just uploaded a site created with pingrow and there is no issue.
Alt tags are displayed well - I used bootstrap 3 settings in PG not the new and possible to choose 4 version.

As @Flashman mentioned, there are often more sites on a server and of a change general settings would not be a convenient solution.
May be it is the wy the alt tags are “translated” in the code of Blocs / but I am not a coder so we will see how this is going to be handled in future and if this will be given attention.

Are you saying that alt tags work differently in Blocs sites compared to PG when run in the browser? Surly they are just the same alt=“my image alt info”

I don´t know the reason why it shows here and with Blocs it doesn´t.
It´s running on the same server - of course a different domains, but I didn´t ask the provider for some changes on the settings.

Do these images include links? They could be title tags that appear when you hover over them.

I will try to disable the lazy load and disable the html minimization when I upload a blocs site next time.

Doesn´t make a difference - only the links are shown, not the alt-description.

Yes, the links are shown in the left bottom area of the browser (exapt safari).

What you are seeing may well be title tags associated with the links, rather than alt tags. Blocs doesn’t allow us to do very much with links at the moment. I would also like to see nofollow links for example.

Implementation was trivial so its added and ready for the last beta of 2.5.

I considered adding all of the rel options but I just think it gets confusing to a beginner as most of the relationships are not that common, no follow seems to be the most likely to be needed in day to day stuff.

1 Like

Thanks @Norm that’s very useful and another step towards never considering alternative design apps.

Sometimes I’ve had to use some odd workarounds to achieve what I want when creating links. In this case I’ve set the title to appear on hover, along with a nofollow link and ensuring it opens in a new tab.

screenshot_166