Blocs API is Go! πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸ»πŸ»πŸ»πŸ»πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰

A new chapter for Blocs has officially begun, it’s taken a lot of hard work just to get the absolute basics in place but the API is now available to play with in the form of Alpha 1.

Im going to be totally up front here, the API only contains bare essentials right now hence the Alpha. There are still a lot of things not figured out yet like how updates will be handled, working with custom Brics across multiple Macs, in app previewing doesn’t run scripts included in your Brics (this is coming with the new Blocs previewer which is in the works) etc.

But think of the API at this stage as rough clay, we can now shape together.

Having said that, I haven’t just added an API, I’ve also added a completely new tool to help build extras for Blocs, in the form of the Bric builder (Main menu > Developer > Bric Builder).

I’ve created a new channel here in the forum so devs can chat and help each other.

I’ve also included 3 custom Bric examples which you can access via the Bric Builder β€˜add new Bric’ menu (+). Don’t mistake these for the custom Bric .bex files that come bundled with the alpha.

Oh and I’ve released some very basic docs, a lot more on the way over the next few days.

Getting Started
To get started, create a new Bric from a template (not blank). Once you have a Bric created, from the Bric Builders installed Bric menu (left side) right click any bric entry and reveal it in finder. You can then see what makes up a custom bric, the css, the functions etc. This should help you understand how the gears turn until the docs are more padded out.

Have fun and remember this is an alpha so still a lot of work todo.

14 Likes

Congratulations. I know that was hard work. Will get my hands dirty soon :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

Second Christmas today :smiley:

2 Likes

Time for some play time :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Can you hear the angels singing in the background - I can ! :star_struck:

2 Likes

For all us who don’t know here is a clearer understanding of API
https://help.blocsapp.com/developer-api-introduction