JavaScript Integration in Blocs 3?

Hey @Norm, just a thought.

So, I have been using the custom HTML and CSS text editors built into Blocs (which I love) to achieve some really cool effects. I also find myself adding code to the JavaScript files after I export my project. The problem is; I have to re-add my custom JavaScript code everytime I make an update to my website and export it.

I was just wondering if there will be a section to input custom JavaScript code inside of Blocs (similar to how we can add custom HTML and CSS code).

Maybe in Blocs 3…

I understand if this is not a very important feature to add to Blocs any time soon. It is just a thought.

Thanks in advance. :smiley:

1 Like

Why not just attach this JS via the page header settings? Either as a page attachment or a snippet in the head code section?

Blocs 3 has a code widget which is a step up from the html widget, basically it can handle any type of code as it prevents rendering code in the design environment which stops the code being effected by the canvas dom rendering and being executed. It’s a big improvement for JS and PHP.

2 Likes

Oh WOW!!

I didn’t know I could do this, I thought that in the page settings it is only for html and css.
I will try it later today.

Thanks, you must have thought of this before hahah :smiley:

1 Like

Hey @Norm, I just tried it and I am running into a problem.

Here are my page settings:

Here is my code which I am adding to the page header:

Here is what appears on my website:

Thanks in advance again hahah.

1 Like

Did you wrap your JS in a script tag?

1 Like

OK, I managed to fix it.

I had to wrap it in a script tag (I feel like an idiot hahaha :joy:)
And I had to put it under ‘Footer’ not ‘Header’

Thanks, helped me out. It a great thing knowing that we can implement Javascript easily inside of Blocs itself.

1 Like

Yeah you can also just attach JS files to the page settings too.

2 Likes

@gadusidup, you refer to html and css text editors built right in to Blocs. Would you be so kind as to explain how I access those? Thanks in advance

It is easy…

On Blocs go to: Navigation Bar (at the top of your screen) > Page > Settings. Then there is a button called ‘Add Code’

1 Like

@gadusidup, ok thanks very much. I’ve used this area, and it works fine, but only applies the css to each page individually. I thought perhaps you might be referring to something else where we could attach an external css style sheet that applied the styling to the entire project.

When I acquire more knowledge I’m sure this is going to come in handy.

@gadusidup
Get rid of the keyword meta tag. It hasn’t been used in nearly ten years and can potentially do more harm to your clients SEO than help. It is no longer used as a ranking signal…
The old joke is
“How do you tell a professional web marketing person from a web designer?..A web designer still thinks using the keyword meta tag is useful!”

It’s embarrassing even being there. Get rid of it. You will look like you know what your doing.

1 Like

oh wow, really?
This website is not a client’s, it is my website.

Thanks for telling me about the keyword meta tag. I will change it immediately. Why is it still in Blocs then?

Oh well, thanks :slight_smile:

Unfortunately many developers including Adobe still have a “keywords meta tag” entry point. It can be very telling how aware or educated they are on the subject of SEO. Google, Bing and a few others in that order are 98% of the search engines in use worldwide.
Light well written code that allows for fast page loads is important too. Focus on these things for your site …
Use a good keyword(s) in your url
Use keyword(s) in the meta title and page title
Use in the meta description
Use them in your content specific and uniquely to that page.
Use them in your navigation both at top main
And in the footer nav.
Hope this helps you out a bit with SEO anyway.
Maybe it will get deleted from the app…:grinning:

1 Like

Is your site published yet?

I suspect that developers retain keyword areas in their apps just to avoid wailing accusations from users who don’t understand. I agree they are pointless, but if you were an app developer you wouldn’t want to read rants about your software being bad for SEO, no matter how unfounded.

If I look at the websites by local competitors they invariably include keywords and I don’t know whether they are unaware how useless they are or whether they do it for an easy life, since 99% of clients probably still think keywords are essential. Indeed most won’t understand anything beyond that.

1 Like

Lol…it’s our job as professionals to educate. It’s not difficult to show any prospective client the proof. I’ve been doing this for many years, probably more years than many here are old.

I’m a marketing professional and have owned, run and built a half dozen or so multimillion dollar companies. For the last 15 years I have been teaching and consulting for medium to large companies. I give my time to a large non profit company that helps Native American people.

Just following even a few SEO simple principles isn’t hard nor difficult to help out your clients. I don’t know any serious business owners who wouldn’t want to know how to improve their site. I only offer my advice here to help those who want to learn a little something.

I can agree with all of that, but perhaps this is a case of levels and the type of customers you are dealing with. The operative phrase was serious business owner.

From my relatively modest experience of dealing with small businesses, none of them are even capable of setting up their own email client, let alone digest details on SEO and actively market their own sites.

There is a huge difference between an e-commerce site with advertising budgets where they pour over analytics, compared to a small family run carpentry business, where the owner just hopes some people will call him after seeing the website. I do my best in these cases, but it’s not easy when you know they are irritated by the slightest technical details and will never create a single backlink.

I’d be glad to take a look at any websites you have done and give a free analysis …I suspect you have been doing pretty well though based on your response.
Just PM me. A few more positions up in the ranking can’t hurt. Even for small businesses…who want to get a call off their website. After all isn’t that what having a website is about …to bring business to them?

Been doing this a very long time. I would be glad to help if I can. I like to help others…I’m fine so I don’t charge…only big companies where a lot of my time is taken. Life is short…I’m just trying to give back a bit in memory of those who helped me over my life time.

1 Like

Thank you, that’s very kind and I may take you up on that offer. As I was writing my last post it actually made me think more about targeting different types of clients, because these small local businesses really are amateur in every sense.

Sometimes they are amenable to being helped and accept your advice, but other times it seems like they are just determined to mess things up and then blame the web designer…