Tab brics please!

Looking to get the Tab brics that already exist in Bootstrap but not yet implemented in Blocs

2 Likes

I assume youā€™re talking about a function in bootstrap not a bric? Iā€™m not familiar with that functionality, could you maybe point out this in the documentation or give an example? Thereā€™s now 3rd party folks starting to build brics for blocsapp.

something like this Bootstrap Tabs and Pills
or that Navs Ā· Bootstrap

Basically without coding (or it defeat the purpose of using blocs)

What I would like is to get a tab menu, then when you click on a tab it shows a specific blocs.

It might not be complicated to do, but Iā€™m not programmer and could not find proper example.

You can probably emulate tabs using blocsapp class manager.

I associate them with a web design era that has passed by.

I have not seen these used in a while either. This was popular a while back. Does not mean you canā€™t use them. Using the class manager you can emulate these using the border feature with the radius on the top corners.

Casey

Hi! Iā€™d like to jump in here and agree with Globetrotter!

I use Tabs on my personal site, as do many others. You can see them on my SERVICES and APPROACHES scroll links, and how many items/functions can be inside the Tabs & Panels: (http://www.danielfactor.com)

My site was built in Muse, and with Muse soon capsizing, Iā€™m looking into Blocs as a replacement!

These highly customizable ā€˜widgetsā€™ add tremendous functionality and are treasurers for putting a lot of content in small screen spaces.

Iā€™ve also used an ACCORDION PANEL widget on my FAQ page, which is also highly customizable.

These kind of ā€˜widgetsā€™ or in Blocsā€™s case ā€˜Bricsā€™ need no coding to place and style, and they function as a whole interactive object, making non-coding folks happy!! :slight_smile:

I should clarify the Tabs & Accordion widgets are responsive on my site, and so desktop to tablet size devices is where they all show up, for phones the Tabs turn into Accordion panels. Pretty cool. :+1:

Just my 2 cents.

:flushed: Ummm ā€¦ ^ what web are you people browsing ?

Seems strange everyone is moving forward with inclusion of them if its from and for, a by gone era.

We are not talking the overuse of drop shadows here, weā€™re talking an information container. Itā€™s merely a way of organizing information, not a design trend. When and where they are best used for content is no different from any other information delivery choices or usability concerns.

They are simply one method for organizing information and very much widely used. The styling of tabs is generally much cleaner than years gone by and in many cases people donā€™t even realize tabs are being used to deliver the content they are consuming.

PS: Consider that they are used in every browser you are reading this post in. :wink:

2 Likes

YES!!! Entire single page sites can be created using just a Tab widget (non-coder verbiage) and the user wouldnā€™t need to know, in Muse. The same design can also be multi-page, using all kinds of links, too!

For Blocs, either by Norm, or 3rd party folks, building Brics that do that is strongly encouraged.

Muse grew in part due to all the 3rd party shops that created increadible widgets and a full array of other no-code offerings, making an entire industry on the back of Muse!

My blog on my site, for example, was made by QooQee, called Blog/CMS widget, and is styled entirely in Muse, and hosted on my Host Serverā€¦so its a non-code ā€˜widgetā€™ (i.e. brick), with a one time purchase, and gives total control to me. True itā€™s not as powerful as the CSM options Blocs can tie into, but it requires no code, only styling, and posts are created inside a browser just as any other CSM system. Hope thatā€™s helpful.

All I can say is that I havenā€™t used tabs on a website in years, nor have I used tabs on a mobile app Iā€™ve created. Ever.

For the most part theyā€™ve fallen out of fashion, and yes I have noticed the tabs on the browser.

Now I think about it, I probably see them most on ebay.

I think of tabs as they were created back in the day - buttons with a graphical background. Thereā€™s nothing special about them.

[ edit: My first thought when someone mentions tabs is the good old row of tombstones in a row with rounded top corners. You can have cool tabs but for many I think theyā€™re a old paradigm for when we thought of tabs like a filing cabinet and they can be a convenience for not thinking if a better presentation is available. Iā€™m not at war with anyone that plans to use them, but for the most part they are in the ā€œhistoricalā€ section of my UI book ]

Interesting thing about the vastness of the internet, is it brings together a huge variety of those who use the tools to make stuff for itā€¦and because of this, there is a range of tools being built and marketed to certain sub-categories of folks who make stuff for it, too!

Blocs is marketing to non-coders, and within this category are people who make stuff for a living ā€“ that is making web designs for others, and of course themselves, so people kind find them ā€“ all the way to people who only have a single website and like to make stuff themselves.

And so we can have conversations, like this one, from very different angles.

In this way, the world wide web has indeed made the world a little smaller, bringing people together with some common needs, while still having some very different ones, too, all at the same time! So cool reallyā€¦

1 Like

Just my 2 cents.

So thats the qualifying factor towards the irrelevance or popularity? Rather narrow qualifying criteria, nor does it quantify anything statistically.

Am I posting this in 2018, what web are you browsing, apps are you using, screens are you viewing?

The web, apps, interfaces, screens, I see and use everyday still very much use tabs. Wether the information is delivered via browser, mobile apps, OS, desktop software, tv interface, via a console, touchscreen kiosks, automobile screen, self serve POS checkout, gas pump screens, and the list goes on and on. Anywhere you find a screen you can find tabs in use.

Also take into account people still use manilla folders with tabs, because of the usability factor that works concerning the tab and organizing information delivery.

Of course like any delivery method it has its place and usage for organizing information for consumption. But itā€™s not a design trend.

:wink:

Ymmv as they say. I didnā€™t say tabs were totally distinct.

I donā€™t come across them as often as you, for sure.

Can we keep this cordial?

3 Likes

I thought it is / was, you feel differently ?

Itā€™s getting a bit intense. There is no right or wrong opinion just different viewpoints. No winners or losers.

Intense? Really?

I was merely pointing out (based upon those initial statements) that tabs have a prevalent and present occupation in organizing, displaying and delivering data to those consuming it across screens, and are not a method that has ben passed by or was a fad. Sure I used a lot of verbiage to express that, but there was no malice directed towards anyone, sorry if you felt otherwise.

1 Like

Letā€™s just say that when I think of modern and indeed future interfaces, tabs are not what comes to mind.

I donā€™t deny their existence and they are out in the wild, but for me they are still a row of tombstones from the early web. They are a real thing from my own web and app development and I generally look at that stuff I made for people years ago and wonder why I thought it was good.

I generally think when I come across tabs that itā€™s an old approach. Thatā€™s not entirely fair because they can be quite functional.

You can consider blocsapp navigation as a tab list with invisible backgrounds.

My attitude to UI design and indeed web pages has changed over the years. I no longer want to think about ā€œme tooā€ interfaces but try and improve the aesthetic and the the user experience so purely functional doesnā€™t make me happy.

Iā€™ll bet in a weekā€™s time after this conversation Iā€™ll end up making a tabbed interface, but if I do Iā€™ll do my best to make it not look or feel like tombstones in a row.

I respect your opinion of tabs but while anyone makes me think of a row of tombstones in a row, Iā€™ll not consider them a great UX feature. I can imagine that if you combine a great aesthetic with a tab paradigm Iā€™ll give it an enthusiastic thumbs-up.

Back in the day we built short web pages and had lots of ā€œpagesā€ in our websites. Today, thanks mostly to Steve jobs weā€™ve become accustomed to long pages rather than page hopping like we used to, so the need for tabs is greatly reduced.

Anyway, for me the discussion about tabs is getting a bit boring, but if you have any really neat examples of tabs Iā€™d love to see them.

Boring? Interesting.

Well for my own good then, I am just gonna have to say I disagree with you and leave it at that. I could put forth further rebuttals towards your latest post, but I feel I have already clearly covered the ongoing and effective use and meaning of tabs across screens. So I will let my previous posts simply speak for themselves.

:wink:

2 Likes

hi, there are as many different option depending on the type of information to display.

In my specific case of a resort website, I have one page where I need to show 10 different pages of different excursions with specific explanation and picture. If I split in 10 different pages and put it on the main menu it do not work well because there are common information to be read first and it overcrowd the menu with different levels

So My idea is within the excursion page to add a tabs per excursion that would allow to select and show only the detail of the excursion selected.

So as there is no tab option currently, I did it on a single page but it is not very convenient as you have to scroll a very long page and because some information are common it is repeated which make it a bit complicated to understand.

A tab would make it much more neat because you can just click to the excursion you are interested and see what it includes.

This is my case and every website is different with different needs.

2 Likes

Hi, just started getting back to Blocs and seeing all the new functionalities, I think your needs may well be met with the ā€œtoggle visibilityā€ feature. Eldar explainsā€¦ :smiley:

I guess it would meet most peopleā€™s needs except for the fact that the open tab doesnā€™t automatically close when a new one is opened. There has to be a manual interaction by the user to do this. It may be a small issue, but one that some people may like to resolve neatly.