The ability to open two projects

I was just working on a website using Blocs and wanted to check what I had done on another site with Blocs. Before opening the new project Blocs asked if I wanted to save the old one and this then forces it to close. Ideally we should be able to keep more than one project open at the same time.

3 Likes

Am I the only one who can see how it could be useful to have more than one project open at the same time?

Imagine Safari with only a single tab or Photoshop limited to one image at a time. This shouldn’t be hard to do.

4 Likes

Nope, you are not alone… I do this all the time when I duplicating something in a new project. I’ll close the project I’m working on and open a older project.

Casey

We should be able to open different projects simultaneously, either as tabs or windows and copy/paste items as needed. I just tried copy pasting a class from one project to another, but it wouldn’t work. Yes the class appeared in the classes window, but the desired action was blank.

2 Likes

Am I correct in thinking the ability to open two or more Blocs projects at the same time is still a “wish list” feature? It would be super neat if a tabbed open project feature was introduced. It would certainly speed up copying and pasting between projects for me.

1 Like

Yes it’s still a wish list feature and I like the sound of having separate projects open in tabs, but I gather that having two projects open can impact performance. Maybe it will happen or perhaps a better alternative will be found at some stage. Remember you can already create a template page from one project and use it in other projects.

It would be a good thing to allow comparison or borrowing elements from one project to another without exporting…another time saver.

By now the best solution is to save one project as a page template and then import to your new project, you will have more classes but its a way. Hope in the next version we can open more than one project at a time

Thanks for confirming this @flashman, @HMM and @chicuelo. I was really checking that I hadn’t overlooked any option. I appreciated that the template route is available to me. However having two projects open, especially when redeveloping old sites for clients and needing to double-check text changes between versions, would be very useful for me. Not to mention a quicker to way to cut and paste between projects.

1 Like

Exactly…:pray:t2::+1:

+1 To allow more than 1 project to be opened

@Norm

@Norm how is this not a thing yet? I’m having to take screen shots of things in another project to then replicate the code in another. Absolutely bizarre that we still cannot open two projects at once

If you just want to compare two versions side by side, you could open one file in the most current version of Blocs and the other file in an older version of Blocs. Let’s say v4.2 and v.4.1. This way you can have two instances of Blocs open at at the same time.
While you cannot copy/paste brics between the two instances, you can at least copy text and compare details.