A forum here in different languages

My last contribution to this interesting thread :wink:

My mindset is surely more inclusive than exclusive. I understand the fears of some here and at the same time I would welcome the opportunities a simple “other language” category could provide.

That said whatever is or not decided, if it is in my area of expertise I will gladly assist in other languages too and even translate back to English. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

MDS

:astonished:

Looks like I’ve opened a can of worms here.

6 Likes

Anche io non capisco un cazo

1 Like

Let the worms crawl,

I think it’s just about not jumping between two or three forums when you enter a native keyword.

In my opinion the worm can can now be closed again.

The Blocsapp doesn’t have to be multilingual either.

We have a super great community here!
All wiiling to help eachother in whatever language… but english fits best (BREXIT shouldn´t stopp us!)
Let’s go on doing the same for the future.

3 Likes

Yes, you have! I just as soon you open the store…:sunglasses:

casey

2 Likes

+1 * 6

I doubt such fragmentation would benefit the app or the community. Although specific resources across the web are found in various languages, English remains the common denominator.

You may wish to check with your Discourse Hosting provider, as there is a Discourse translation plugin. Which to me would be a better facilitation for helping multilingual users read and communicate without introducing fragmentation across the forum.

Also if not already enabled, I believe in the admin you can allow users to chose their own language interface preference, etc.

2 cents.

4 Likes

English is fine with me :wink: My Blocs App is installed in English on a German OS. Can Blocs be installed in other languages?

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

By all straight work…
Let us not forgetting our comman sense of humor!
German is the least wanted language - ORANJE bove! (NL) @r_botman :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I love this forum - Europe is english speeking as a matter of fact.
But hey, still funny

Latest thoughts on Forum language from a German
Respecting all people whatever race or colour.
2 Likes

Thanks for all the great and funny answers … a great forum here!

My idea was simple, namely, the detour via a translator program is annoying … and even then, one is sometimes not sure if one has expressed oneself correctly.

Therefore, when it is introduced, the forums should of course be separate from each other. You are then either in English or in the XY language forum.
Thank you, Thomas
PS.: And thank you Norm for the open willingness

Mac apps, were much easier to use for me as a Windows user ( X years ago ). I am no Dreamweaver, no Adobe user, … I wanted a simple WYSIWYG program, which I can understand even after 6 months of break … therefore my decision for Blocs. Despite all the professional possibilities in Blocs. And this I posaunt/advertised … private.

That’s why I thought a quick and easy communication … you’re tired from work, but want to take your site further, without translation programs into English for questions … would be worth a forum in your own language. The “wow” about the professionals in it, no matter in which language, is a nice addition, and one accepts it gratefully - because that’s why one asks, because one has no time for all the knowledge - and in another language, all the more difficult.

My decision for Blocs was to have professionals do the work and the knowledge for you. You’re grateful for that and you pay. That’s the way.
I simplify … but it’s true.

There are enough complicated and high-quality programs …
but individualism for laymen in it few.
Therefore, forums in their own language … because it encourages.

My 5 cents, my friends ask me how to do it… and I have no idea.
Because the more beautiful Blocs becomes, the more complex it becomes.

An integrated solution seems the best in my opinion.

Inherent language fragmentation seems like it would be more annoying for the majority of users and to the detriment of the forums. Where as integrated solutions would be a two way bridge for all users.

1 Like

Good morning to everybody!!

After a few hours without reading the forum, Woooo !!! I found this can of worms (thanks @Norm for opening it) and that gives us all an idea of ​​how good that forum is.

As asked @area49 my experience after more than 1 year using the forum is that, I have not had any problem in understanding and following the threads of the forum, as well as I think most of you have understood me quite well. My language is Spanish and I use the two tools that I mentioned in this thread (Translation - #3 by Wam) to translate into English.

In my humble opinion I think the forum should continue as it is because opening the different possibilities of several languages ​​will create more problems than the current operation.

One idea, that I use, is to put my comments, many times, in both languages ​​(English and Spanish), because that way you can copy my original text in Spanish and think about a translator.

This leads me to think that the #handstand that commented could be added @Norm, but only to locate those double comments.

Although I am not in favor of limiting anyone for their interests, freedom and ideas come first.

But I would never have more than one language as a forum official (English). In this way the forum will remain practical and its use (queries, search keywords, topics, etc …) will be the same for everyone.

Another recommendation that I suggest to @Norm is that if it can be done, when a user posts a problem with Blocs, it also publishes a video recording of the problem it presents, because the visual aid for this topic is very useful. For me it has been fundamental when there is an explanatory video in a published topic.

This my humble intervention of 0.0001 cents

Thank you all for your time and your help. I do not put names of users to not leave any to me without mentioning.

Best regards.

En español:

Buenos días a todos!!

Después de unas horas sin leer el foro, Woooo !!! me he encontrado con esta lata de gusanos (gracias @Norm por abrirla) y que nos da a todos una idea de lo bueno que es eso foro.

Como pedía @area49 mi experiencia después de mas de 1 año utilizando el foro es que, yo no he tenido ningún problema en entender y seguir los hilos del foro, así como creo que la mayoría de vosotros me habéis entendido bastante bien. Mi idioma es el español y utilizo las dos herramientas que os comente en este hilo ( ) para traducir al ingles.

En mi humilde opinión creo que el foro debería seguir como está porque abrir las diferentes posibilidades de varios idiomas nos va a crear mas problemas que el funcionamiento actual.

Una idea, que yo utilizo, es poner mis comentarios, muchas veces, en los dos idiomas (ingles y español), porque así se puede copiar mi texto original en español y pensarlo en un traductor.

Esto que me lleva a pensar que podría añadirse los #handstand que comentaba @Norm, pero solo para localizar esos dobles comentarios.

Aunque yo no soy partidario de limitar a nadie por sus intereses, la libertad y las ideas son lo primero.

Pero nunca tendría mas de un idioma como oficial del foro (ingles). De esta forma el foro seguirá siendo practico y su utilización (consultas, palabras clave de busqueda, temas, etc…) será la misma por parte de todos.

Otra recomendación que sugiero a @Norm es que si se puede hacer, cuando un usuario publica un problema con Blocs, publicase también una grabación en vídeo del problema que presenta, porque la ayuda visual para este tema es muy útil. Para mi ha sido fundamental cuando en un tema publicado hay un video explicativo.

Esta mi humilde intervención de 0,0001 centavos

Gracias a todos por vuestro tiempo y vuestra ayuda.
No pongo nombres de usuarios para no dejarme a ninguno sin mencionar.

Saludos cordiales.

2 Likes

Muchísimas gracias Wam por tomarse el tiempo para explicar tu manera de hacer las cosas y tu experiencia con ello en el foro.

Thank you Wam for taking the time to explain your way of doing things and your experience with it in the forum.

1 Like

I’m sorry to resurrect this topic, but I want just share NOT CRITICIZE a topic that is developing here.
And I will repeat, the topic is well addressed for the right forum members.
But anyone, can understand the topic and the needs of the user.
But after that, at least me, I couldn’t understand nothing. And if it is a subject that I’m interested, or I can give my help, I will not help, or understand.
And this subject if appears in the forum again, some of the users can reply mentally thinking:
“that was already explained, I will not reply, let him find out”
But they didn’t remember that the answer was given in other language.

Just my 0,0022 cents.
There is the topic:

1 Like

I though you were Japanese haha

1 Like

I think it’s VERY worth thinking about hangout categories in some other languages again because:

given the fact that Blocs 4 just came out which will make NEW users have a look at Blocs it would be a good move (also PR wise) to make this forum more inviting to them.
Just to have the OPTION to ask complicated questions in their native language would be a plus for Blocs in general IMHO. :slight_smile:

Years back in the old RW forum where such different categories and I read in some languages and never had the feeling that this had a negative effect for the general knowledge exchange - to the CONTRARY because then people could even participate who had problems with English. Their knowledge and ideas were then brought to the general English forum by bilingual speakers.

win-win situation! :slight_smile:

Also some things are only relevant in specific countries and would just bore the others who don’t even know what things are about. :wink:

@Norm please do think about that again. We just do not know WHO would LIKE to seek help here and for whom the language may be a hurdle. :wink:
Think of the NEW users or people just now getting interested in Blocs! :slight_smile:

just my 2 cents

About the application, I agree it could be something we can work. Regarding the forum itself, I don’t think it will be very good, as if you ask in Japanese or in German for example I couldn’t help or be helped.
Some users here they ask in both languages, so everyone could be helped even if is not your main language.
Thats how I fell about this, but is only my opinion…

1 Like

Hi,
I agree with @Pealco.
I only speak Spanish, but since 01-29-2018 when I bought BLOCS I have never had a problem reading the forum and requesting help or helping in whatever way I can. I have done it using the Mate translator. I also use it for French, German, etc …

En los vídeos publicados en Youtube, utilizo los subtitulos automáticos en español y puedo leerlos y seguir las instrucciones por ejemplo @PeteSharp, @Norm

Bien, tu español es bastante bueno. Creo que el foro se volvería muy complejo con varios idiomas. Tampoco me resultó difícil traducir lo que dijiste. Aunque confío en que esto se traduce bien.

Yes, I understood perfectly :+1:

I forgot to mention that I also use it to translate web pages, especially those that have been developed with BLOCS. I have not had any problem to understand perfectly in any language used as if they had been developed in my language (Spanish)

1 Like