A “real” light box for photography

Is there a bric lightbox that displays thumbnail images that displays the selected image like this one? In other words all thumbnail images are persistently displayed. When the user selects one of the thumbnails that image is displayed uncropped and not a background image either. It also should allow for captioning …centered in this example.

Well, it is 2021, and no one answered this question. I have this question now as a new Blocs user. Is there a Photog Light Box Bric?

Rich

Here are 3 ways you can go about it.

1. The Lightbox Interaction

Lightbox is actually very simple in Blocs and it’s quite a good implementation I think…

It’s an “interaction” in the sidebar. If you select an image and check the sidebar for interactions you’ll see Lightbox.

The settings allow you to use two different images for cases where you want to have custom thumbnails and larger version of the image shows in the Lightbox. The other option is to open the same image. This quickly gets you up and running.

2. Visibility Interaction

Blocs 4 has support for visibility interactions that let you hide and reveal things. This can be used to create a layout like you have above. It’s a bit more work, but I’m pretty sure @Eldar covers this in his learning materials.

3. Custom Bric: Tab Anything

Many Blocs users are doing this exact thing, and they have all sorts of cool options available to them.

It’s a really sexy way to get the exact layout you have above and much more. There’s so many style and control features like autoplay, transitions, a responsive drop-down and much more. It lets you select images as the “Tabs” which would be great I think for your usage. Tab Anything

Hope this helps!

4 Likes

Actually, your post is quite helpful. I have run through Eldars course, but don’t recall anything specifically about photography and “lightbox.” I just jumped into Blocs and indeed, you can set a “lightbox” option using that “interaction” menu, and since I am the new proud owner of “Tab Anything” I would assume that lightbox option would be available in there as well?
Something to play around with, though I have to say, I wish someone would just put up a bric with the whole thing, all options, etc…but I am a beginner…

Just to be clear, Tab Anything and Blocs Lightbox feature have nothing to do with each other. And the result aren’t going to be identical. Lightbox interaction opens up images in a traditional Lightbox modal which overlays the page.

Tab Anything doesn’t use modals, but what it does is very comparable in terms of a gallery solution. and it has a ton of other features and uses.

Something to play around with, though I have to say, I wish someone would just put up a bric with the whole thing, all options, etc…but I am a beginner…

Direct message me your email please. Since you have Tab Anything, I’ll set you up with a nice starting point and you can just replace the images with your own.