Blocs 2.4 and High Sierra

One thing I did notice is that Apple ask you to opt into the new file system, I was surprised at this as they are usually pretty pushy about getting everyone on the latest and greatest. Im thinking maybe they are a little unsure themselves.

Sooner or later I am sure there will be some official guidance on using APFS with older drives. I am finding SSD hugely better, especially with this PCI board on my Mac Pro, but of course I donā€™t want to throw away any of my old SATA drives until they have died of natural causes at the age of 107 years oldā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m using a MacMini Late 2014 with a 1GB HD.
Apple did NOT ask (as many users report) for installing into APFS.
I installed HS on HFS+ and then changed the file system via disk utility on HS.
It was a mess.

@Norm:
Iā€™ve sent you to files.
One old one built with 2.3 (I guess), modified with 2.4 Beta?.
One built with 2.4.1 Beta1 on HS from the scratch which works fine.
Hope that helps.

1 Like

Thank buddy!

may be a project related issue, Iā€™ll see whatā€™s up!

But Norm,
keep in mind that this happens to 5 older projects.
They all work fine with Blocs 2.4.1 on Sierra.

1 Like

Some information here from Apple about the new APFS file system that may be of interest. It sounds like this is very much intended for SSD.

From what Iā€™ve been reading High Sierra may well be released on the 12th of September. Is Blocs ready?

Really? I think its more likely that it will be the 22nd when the new iPhone ships. Also we need a few Golden Master Builds before it will ship, Apple are still issuing beta builds.

But FYI Im not encountering any issues now with the latest version of Blocs 2.4.1 and macOS high Sierra Beta 9.

I was reading somewhere that there is going to be an event for the iPhone 8 taking place on the 12th and it was felt likely that High Sierra would be released the same day. Perhaps theyā€™ll just announce more details about High Sierra then.

I donā€™t think the 12th event will be about anything other than the iPhone 8 and pos a new iPad pro. I could be wrong!

I think all the new iOS versions will ship on the same day the iPhone 8 ships, its likely macOS will come at that time or a week later. I think thats happened in the past.

1 Like

Looks like I was correct, 25th release date for High Sierra.

Thatā€™s spooky. I was in the process of adding the same link when your message popped up.

1 Like

Great minds :nerd_face::nerd_face:

I searched Google a minute before, having seen nothing earlier on as I expected. I guess there are unlikely to be any major changes at this stage.

Curiosity got the better of me and I just installed the latest beta of High Sierra, which was formatted as APFS by default. I played with Blocs 2.4.1 for a few minutes and all seemed to be fine.

3 Likes

Same here.
Running High Sierra GM on an external HD with HFS+.
No Issues so far with Blocs 2.4.2 beta2

1 Like

Looks like Apple have pulled support for APFS for none solid state drives including fusion drives. Problems must have been bad!

APFS is running fine for me on three SATA drives. The only strangeness I have is with the SSD where the amount of available space seems to fluctuate considerably during the day, even when nothing obvious is happening. Itā€™s been suggested this is due to snapshots, but itā€™s a little unnerving to see fluctuations of 10+ gigs when simply surfing the net. Itā€™s just gone up by a gig while I was writing this.

1 Like