Blocs 3.2 Beta Build 5

Here is Blocs 3.2 Beta Build 5, this release is focused on fixes with the addition of a tidier subclass menu in the Menu Manager and a way to set the active state of navigation links that match the current browser url.

For navigation active states, you may need to make sure you export with Cache Bust to make sure you get the latest version of the Blocs JS files.

If you encounter something you think is a bug, please refer to the Blocs docs first just to clarify its not the intended functionality.

Download Blocs 3.2 Beta build 5

Modals
You can now create modals (popups) here is how you make them.

• Add a modal bric to the page, make sure it has an ID.

• Select a button, link, icon or image and set its interaction to modal and then find the target modals ID in the second dropdown below the interaction one.

• Enter preview mode and you will see the modal is hidden and will be shown when you click the trigger you assigned the modal interaction too.

Hiding Sidebars
You can now hide the entire Blocs UI apart from the menu bar at the top. There are various ways to do this,

• The main menu view > Interface contains options for hide/show them (includes keyboard shortcuts).

• Right clicking the sidebar tab area at the top of each sidebar gives you options to hide them.

• Right clicking on the design canvas, under the interface option on the context menu.

I am probably just being stupid here, but what exactly do you mean “export with Cache Bust” and how is this done? Also how does an Export update the JS?

The export options include a checkbox for enabling cache busting in css+Js it basically forces the browser to use the latest version of blocs.js rather than the old cached version.

Again thank you @Norm for another update to the already best hands on web builder on the market for the MAC! It seems that you’re putting one of these updates out every week. It’s hard to believe you alone are the mastermind and maintainer of Blocs. I can’t wait to see what you come up with next.

OK got it. There appears to be some caching or other memory of classes. I created a nav item underline class in an attempt to function as an active page and deleted my previous ideas. However, the now deleted classes are still functioning as they did before they were deleted. Is there a procedure for deleting classes?

Also, while trying ideas out, I created a class called navunderline and set an active state for it. Then I noticed that there was a class called navunderline-active. Is this an automatic Blocs thing? If I want to create a navunderline class for the hover state, should I then edit navunderline for the hover state, and attach the blocs created navunderline-hover one to the link? or does just adding navunderline to a link add all 3 states of the class.

A short demo project file showing a simple 2 page nav system with a class effect would be super useful here. Otherwise I can see a load of questions coming out of this.

I had the same type of question. I created four page site and used menu manager. In nav ul that blocs created I set the active state. I then added the class in the project settings, exported and uploaded it and it does not work. I also tried setting the menu to none and creating my own class, tried the same thing and no luck?

casey

Forget about class states (hover,active)

Just create a new class my-active-state now set its text colour to red.

Now in project settings (active class state field) enter the class name my-active-state

You don’t need to mess with class states like hover, active or use targeting nav class names (nav li a).

That class is dynamically added to the relevant page links on loading the page.

A super basic way to try this is to use the default bootstrap active state. Just write active into the active state class field in project settings.

Forget about active class rule states, that’s when the link is being clicked. This is different. Checkout my other reply in this thread.

Thanks Norm, it works like a charm. This should really help users that have been looking for this. (in a very simple way) I really believe that additions like the ones you have been adding can make a huge difference to people who do not code or don’t want to code.

It seems like more users are interested in quick code fixes instead of learning what the classes can do. They are so poweful, @Eldars March update covers some really helpful videos about classes and how to find out which classes are being used. I wish more users would take advantage of his teachings and subcribe to his videos.

Thanks again
Casey

I think once the docs go live for the new features that’ll help too :+1:

@Norm Here is a test project with just two test pages that illustrate the problem I see with PHP Sessions.

Norm_test.bloc.zip (19.7 KB)

Let me know if this is what you need to see.

Thanks

Update: as before I copied the two test php pages and stripped out the all the Blocs code, tested the two new pages by navigating directly to them and the sessions PHP code worked as expected.

I’ll take a look and see if I can spot the issue.

From me too, @norm thank you very much for implementing the active state for the navigation bar. :+1:

You ultimately figured it out, but I haven’t the faintest idea where to find this mysterious “Cache Bust” setting. Have a look…

It’s not here:

Not here either:

Not in any tab in Project Settings:

Not in Page Settings:

And help is no help at all!

Can someone PLEASE provide detailed STEPS?

Thanks,

James W.

It’s when you export your site.

Here’s the link to the help about this.
https://help.blocsapp.com/knowledge-base/exporting/
Casey

I always do Quick Export, and since the “Export Project” menu command makes no mention of “Export Settings” I naturally forgot to recall that particular “Export Settings” dialog box. Thank you for posting a screenshot. Not I just need to keep myself from forgetting!

At this point, I should make a feature improvement suggestion. I would love to see the Blocs “Help” menu tied in with the Blocs KnowledgeBase. I know it would take a lot of work, but please remember that a lot of apps do that. It saves a huge amount of time when you can get a quick answer from within the app, even if the app ultimately sends you to Safari to get the answer. Yes, I know we could just trot on over to the Blocs website and manually dig down into the KnowledgeBase that way, but it’s easier (really, it is) to click the Help menu in-app and type a word. How much easier? A lot! Trust me. It’s really that much faster.

Now, I’d like to talk about making a small but important improvement to the following page:

https://help.blocsapp.com/knowledge-base/exporting/#quick-export

Maybe my eyes are overlooking it, but I cannot see a passage of text that explain clearly that “changes to Export Settings will apply to Quick Export as well.” If that’s true (and I have always assumed it to be true), then such should be clearly and plainly stated.

Folks, can you please tell me if the following is a bug, because it certainly appears to be a bug to my eyes…

I get this dialog when I open a particular document in 3.2b5 (and yes, I’ve see this happen in earlier versions too):

But have a look at my Assets below. The graphic in question was there yesterday but I deleted it yesterday since I am now using an SVG instead. Suffice it to say, I was unpleasantly surprised when I opened the document today only to get an error dialog about that asset being missing, in light of the fact I deleted it out of my Blocs asset manager yesterday.

So the bug appears to be that even though I delete an Asset, Blocs still thinks it’s there or should be there, but somehow cannot find it.

–James

@Norm there is a problem, after install Beta 5 I loose all my Brics, even the core ones…
Can you help me please? And I even reinstall the Blocs3 base…

Also, one user comments about a possible bug in the following thread that I created yesterday:

Is it really a bug?

I still don’t know what he’s talking about regarding “slides” though. All I know is I get that silly “Freehand class” dialog way too much.

–James W.

Great way and easy to set active link color. Love this addition and the sub classes interface is more neat now.

Can the active class be set to other brics like accordian or tabs?