Blocs 3.3 on Catalina

Thank you for detailed info! I really appreciate it!

Always my pleasure

@Bootsie

Have you seen the issue that @Pealco was having on Catalina?

Thanks for your feedback…

1 Like

oops - I forgot to check this.
I’ll check this later today or tomorrow.
Stay tuned …

1 Like

What is your general impression of Catalina? Must have update that changes everything or just another update that doesn’t change much in practical terms? I’m in a tricky situation, because I don’t want to lose certain apps like Photoshop CS6, so it looks like this computer will be staying on Mojave for a while yet, assuming Apple even lets this Mac Pro update to Catalina.

Hello @Flashman,

I really like Catalina, there is some changes that are very nice, and the speed for my laptop it increases. The only thing that I’m struggled is that the fan on my MBP is most of the times working, and I think it have be something about iCloud, and parallels.
The other issue is that I have to allow app by app to change things in folders. When I upgrade from Mojave’s to Catalina, all apps loose the rights to write to some folders, so I have to go to security and allow it manually.
But the rest is very nice.

I checked and all works fine.
I went from 100% step by step down to 50% with no issues.
But I’m not working on a laptop. I have a Mac Mini with a LG wide screen.
Maybe it’s different on a laptop.

1 Like

@Bootsie Blocs on Catalina is asking for activation… I enter the key but it will not activate??

Did you have this issue and if so what did you do to resolve this?

@Norm

This is what I get

Any ideas how to fix this?

I see this in system log…

Jul 2 11:25:31 IMac AGMService[438]: ProcessPath : /Applications/Blocs.app/Contents/MacOS/Blocs
Jul 2 11:25:31 IMac Blocs[2367]: assertion failed: 19A487m: libxpc.dylib + 87264 []: 0x89
Jul 2 11:25:31 IMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.getdropbox.dropbox.garcon.34CBD100-A7CE-4B58-B27A-EB059492F6B3[2369]): Caller wanted oneshot behavior for pre-existing instance: caller = Blocs

Looks like it is trying to write somewhere it can’t

Have you tried a restart after installation on the new OS?

@Norm yes as well as a reinstall of Blocs 3…

Where is the license stored on my computer… I am thinking it needs write permission to it and does not have it…

@Norm I can’t deactivate license either for what it is worth. If this is in an area that needs to keep confidential I understand.

@bootsie did you do a clean install on your external drive and then install blocs or did you upgrade from a Mojave system?

I made a clone of my internal SSD on an external SSD.
Then I started from the external SSD and upgraded from Mojave to Catalina.
With this procedure you have your normal work environment on a new OS.

@Bootsie I did the same thing but even with Catalina beta 3 it asks for Blocs license key on my iMac and gets no further… very strange you don’t have this issue.

Just tried again with Catalina Beta3 and have no problems to open Blocs.

@Norm

Did a little more testing on Catalina and saw this in console when I start Blocs. Does this mean anything to you?

com.apple.message.domain: com.apple.assumes.failure
com.apple.message.signature: 5321C905-18A7-3566-9831-441CCFC2E794:87248
com.apple.message.signature2: 0x89
com.apple.message.signature3: libxpc.dylib
com.apple.message.summarize: YES
SenderMachUUID: 21178101-4B81-386D-AF99-3D5D35D5A516

Ok, my problem with the Blocs License is fixed, turned out not to be a big problem after all. Since Catalina is new I started looking there and came up with no solution, but with a little back and forth with Norm, I decided to take the following action and it fixed the issues:

• Deactivate license from Mojave copy of Blocs on my iMac.
  • Booted Catalina form my external drive and started Blocs.
  • Enter the License info for Blocs running on Catalina and this time it was accepted.

Maybe there was something at paddle preventing Catalina from activation from my computer, or something went amiss with just my License… At any rate I hope others don’t have this issue down the road, because if you upgrade from Mojave and don’t deactivate you would be stuck… unless you a copy of Mojave (like CC copy) on external drive to boot and deactivate Blocs.

1 Like

@Norm you might look into this down the road when you start working on Blocs for Catalina. The color picker does not work because of the following new privacy settings.

Pixlemator’s did not work either until allowed access but I could not find a way to add blocs, might need some new coding for this???

Thanks

1 Like

Yes you’re right.
Tested and confirmed.

Cool I’ll be starting work on Catalina support mid August, the betas have usually settled by then.

I think I’m in that same position now. I made the mistake of doing an erase and install on my Mac with Catalina because I’m silly like that. Now I can’t activate my license. It gives a silly error like:
BLOCS
Specifies that we were unable to complete the activation of the product.

Ugh, anyway to release a license now that the original machine has been wiped?

@from_wtm The only way I found to fixed this was to deactivate license prior to upgrade or have a copy of Mojave to run on the same machine. So, I was using an external drive to test Catalina and all I had to do was boot Mojave to deactivate. At any rate do you have a Time Machine backup or Carbon Copy backup you can restore with? At this point since Catalina is still beta your only option is to restore…

Also, the color picker does not work on Catalina…