Blocs 3.4 Beta Build 3

Hey everyone,

Here is Blocs 3.4 beta build 3, with some more fixes.

This release focuses on an area that is probably the most common issue Blocs users run into and that is the management of project assets. Aside from fixing a range of issues in this area I’ve also added some new features that (when fully tested and stable) should hopefully make working with Blocs even more user friendly and cause a lot less headaches.

Support for Embedded Assets
Blocs 3.4 has an upgraded file format, which allows project assets such as images, videos, additional style sheets etc to be saved into the actual Blocs files. This change took A LOT of work, I’ve tested it internally for weeks, but of course this is a beta so expect the unexpected. This feature is enabled by default on new projects and can be switched off in project settings (misc).

Asset Embed For Old Projects
If you want to embed all of the assets in a pre 3.4 project, you’ll be happy to learn that I’ve added a feature to do that. One click and your projects assets are all embedded into the project file.

File > Project Assets > Embed All Assets in Project

Generate Package Support
So if you don’t want to embed assets in projects, but want a way to make transporting files between Macs easier? You are going to love the new Package generator. One click and everything used in a project is stored in an organised directory ready to be moved to another Mac.

File > Export > Generate Package

Asset Manager Workflow Improvements
The Asset Manager is used to assign assets in Blocs with the exception of the project settings and the class editor. This is now rectified in Blocs 3.4, when you opt to change the project favicon or a classes background image, the Asset Manager is now used.

Minimum MacOS Requirements
Blocs 3.4 now requires MacOS 10.12 minimum, the app will no longer boot on anything lower.

This is just a few of the improvements in Blocs 3.4, you can view the full change log on the download page for a more detailed breakdown.

As this version of Blocs (3.4) makes heavy changes to project files and structures, please ensure you only use backup projects with it until the dust settles after the first few beta builds.

Download Blocs 3.4 Beta Build 3

5 Likes