Blocs 4.2 Beta Build 2

Hey everyone, here is the second beta of Blocs 4.2. This release comes with a range of major new features, we recommend you read this carefully before you use the initial betas of Blocs 4.2.

Build 2 addresses most of the initial issues that cropped up in the first build. It also has beta 3 of the Bootstrap 5 framework, which came out yesterday.

Bootstrap 5 :rocket:
It’s here, but please remember the framework is actually still in beta. We have a feeling the official release may happen during the beta testing for Blocs 4.2, however, until then we do not recommend using Bootstrap 5 for live production sites.

Migration :dizzy:
You can migrate up to Bootstrap 5 but not backwards, so as this is a super early beta only migrate with backup projects and again don’t migrate and push to production, it’s way to soon for that. :no_entry:

To migrate, open a Bootstrap 4 project and head to project settings, you will see a new framework dropdown, change this and you are good to go!

Javascript Rewrite :writing_hand:
Almost all of the javascript Blocs generates for light boxes, special navigations, scrollFX etc has all been completely rewritten in vanilla JS so regardless of whether your project uses bootstrap 4 or 5, please test every feature of the site before you move it into production. It’s a big rewrite and there may be some issues in these early stages, that will break functionality once exported.

JS Updates :face_with_monocle:
Jquery and the lazyload javascript have both been updated to the latest versions.

Bonjour, Hallo, Hola! Our none native English speaking users will be happy to hear Blocs now speaks French, German and Spanish. You may notice a bad translation, some text cropping or another little interface oddity. Please let me know if you spot something and it’ll be fixed up in no time!

CSS Selectors :nerd_face:
For those interested in the new CSS selector support, you can now add these manually to classes, below is a list of newly support selectors.

• :first-letter
  • :first-line
  • :selection
  • :first-child
  • :last-child
  • :first-of-type
  • :last-of-type
  • :placeholder

Solis :sunny:
You didn’t see that coming! :facepunch: I know many have wondered what is happening with Solis, and you may notice there have been some fixes added to 4.2 for Solis. Work on Solis has already started up again and we hope to have version 1.0.7 beta 1 of Solis out later this week. V1.0.7 will fix a bunch of issues and also add full support for Boostrap 5 Blocs projects.

Summary :grinning:
Please don’t be put off using this version of Blocs, just remember there are a lot of big changes in this release, so only use it for none critical, none production work, at least for the first few betas anyway.

Enjoy testing and thanks so much for your continued support! :beers:

Download Blocs 4.2 Beta Build 2

Don’t forget to hard reload your browser if the beta doesn’t show!

3 Likes

Just migrated that animation project to BS5 using b2 and now have no easy burger menu at all with this beta. If I remove that bric I see the normal menu burger. Also curiously found that resetting the bric makes it turn black with larger text and I wondered if this was intended.

Screenshot 2021-03-24 at 17.10.52

I’ll take a look at this @Flashman.

Awesome @Norm. BS5 Beta 3 with .offcanvas! :dancer:t3: :dancer:t3: :man_dancing:t3: :man_dancing:t3: https://blog.getbootstrap.com/2021/03/23/bootstrap-5-beta-3/

1 Like

I don’t have easy burger installed so didn’t test with that.

But particles, the menu icon and carousel all worked.

1 Like

I have sent Pete the project to look at. I just tried removing that bric to see how the navigation menus are working and they are still messed up on dropdown menus, which have gone white with page links only appearing on hover. More importantly the pages are out of order and misaligned when scrolling through. Is this something that is likely to improve or typically require a fresh setup from scratch?

@Flashman Fixed… I will roll out an update, likely tonight.

4 Likes

Don’t rebuild anything yet, it’s very likely more fixes will come for migration.

I didn’t check the drop downs, I have the file so I’ll take a look and see what is up with those.

1 Like

I’ve fixed the Bric Placeholder. But holding off any changes to do with replacing the toggle until the menu system is more stable.

1 Like

Just to double check does the menu work fine when you open the project in V4.2 but don’t migrate the framework?

Yes it looks correct as BS4, but goes wrong following migration to BS5. Just the dropdowns are problematic.

1 Like

That’s great thanks. I’ll get that patched in build 3.

3 Likes

Looks like a great update! but one we should all be very careful by taking steps not to break anything.

One thing I use a lot is card designer and Scroll FX Extra from @Whittfield - so hoping they will work fine after the update.

The brilliant Easy Burger from @Malachiman too, but thats being sorted as we speak!

Nice one everyone.

I had Tab Anything break on a migration to 5 with the first build. But its early days of the migration.

1 Like

Yepp, a bit early and still running High Sierra and Mojave on my Ladies… :green_heart:
Hope you Dev´s can cope :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Love your supports a lot!

Remember folks, custom Brics will also need to be updated to support bootstrap 5. If they are written to use bs4 classes or data attributes they will need to be updated by the developers.

Migration will do most work, but it will not guarantee Brics build for bs4 will work at all, in bootstrap 5.

3 Likes

This is fixed and ready for 4.2 beta build 3 :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Hello, is there a way to choose the language for the blocsapp application? Although Spanish is my native language, I prefer to choose the language I prefer for blocsapp.

Yes, you can do it from you main system prefs.

Select language, then hit the application tab and select Blocs, then select the language you want it to run in.

I searched in sytem preferences in languages and regions(Sprache und Regionen, -> german), but there is no tab apps(I’m at High Sierra)! I run all my applications(except finder and safari) in english. Is there no way to set it in Blocs?