Blocs 4.2 Beta Build 3

Hey everyone, here is the third beta of Blocs 4.2. This release comes just in time for the weekend and patches some outstanding issues with Solis (Requires 1.0.7) and Bootstrap 5 dropdown menus.

Bootstrap 5 :rocket:
It’s here, but please remember the framework is actually still in beta. We have a feeling the official release may happen during the beta testing for Blocs 4.2, however, until then we do not recommend using Bootstrap 5 for live production sites.

Migration :dizzy:
You can migrate up to Bootstrap 5 but not backwards, so as this is a super early beta only migrate with backup projects and again don’t migrate and push to production, it’s way to soon for that. :no_entry:

To migrate, open a Bootstrap 4 project and head to project settings, you will see a new framework dropdown, change this and you are good to go!

Javascript Rewrite :writing_hand:
Almost all of the javascript Blocs generates for light boxes, special navigations, scrollFX etc has all been completely rewritten in vanilla JS so regardless of whether your project uses bootstrap 4 or 5, please test every feature of the site before you move it into production. It’s a big rewrite and there may be some issues in these early stages, that will break functionality once exported.

JS Updates :face_with_monocle:
Jquery and the lazyload javascript have both been updated to the latest versions.

Bonjour, Hallo, Hola! Our none native English speaking users will be happy to hear Blocs now speaks French, German and Spanish. You may notice a bad translation, some text cropping or another little interface oddity. Please let me know if you spot something and it’ll be fixed up in no time!

CSS Selectors :nerd_face:
For those interested in the new CSS selector support, you can now add these manually to classes, below is a list of newly support selectors.

• :first-letter
  • :first-line
  • :selection
  • :first-child
  • :last-child
  • :first-of-type
  • :last-of-type
  • :placeholder

Solis :sunny:
We have also spent some time working on the Blocs companion app Solis, basically patching up some longstanding issues bringing in support for Bootstrap 5. You can download Solis 1.0.7 beta build 1 here.

Summary :grinning:
Please don’t be put off using this version of Blocs, just remember there are a lot of big changes in this release, so only use it for none critical, none production work, at least for the first few betas anyway.

Enjoy testing and have a great weekend! :beers:

Download Blocs 4.2 Beta Build 3

Don’t forget to hard reload your browser if the beta doesn’t show!

5 Likes

Three Betas within a week! :tada::dancing_women:‍♀:dancing_women:‍♀:champagne::pray: Awesome @Norm !! Have a great weekend all :beers::beers::hamburger:

1 Like

Bligh me. Someone’s been burning the midnight oil!

1 Like

Easy Burger 1.2 seems to be working for me on Blocs 4.2b3 using bs5. Tab Anything 1.5 does not work correctly for me in preview mode, although tabs show in edit mode.

Great job by Norm putting out Blocs 4.2 betas!!!

2 Likes

@Norm
I suggest (again) some small translation errors:
Capture d’écran 2021-03-24 à 20.17.32
Here I would translate as “Ajouter à la bibliothèque de Bloc”
Capture d’écran 2021-03-27 à 09.37.48
and " Gestionnaire de Classes "
“Gestionnaire de Bibliothèques de Classes”
“Gestionnaire de Menus”
and finally I have a doubt about “Wordpress custom data manager” because I don’t use this function yet. If it is the manager that is customised, the translation is good, but if it is the data, then you should write “personnalisées”

I continue to browse these beta versions with great interest.

Have a nice day and congratulations for this remarkable job.

1 Like

Thanks so much for taking the time to provide these :raised_hands:

@Norm At the end of this you will have to update your CV to include polyglot under listed skills.

2 Likes

If my historical knowledge does not deceive me, there was something with France and Scotland… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :rofl:

Hey @norm,now the fullscreen nav works fine. :+1: But all the parallax background images are gone.

1 Like

In bootstrap 5?

Yes in bootstrap 5.
I found the issue: Background images works fine without parallax.

1 Like

I have a problem with a double dropdown menu after migrating to BS5. When clicking on the second link the menu simply closes without showing the contents. I will send you the project file.

1 Like

Good find!

Does parallax fail in all blocs or just some?

The issue is in some projects only, not in all.

1 Like

A curious one but if I make page links in the nav bar invisible and also exclude the linked pages from the export they are still showing up in a sitemap scan as 404 not found pages.

Hi @Norm, You might want to have a look at the “Toggle Class” Interaction as It’s not functioning in 4.2 B3. When opening the same file in in 4.1 it works as a charm.

2 Likes

Thats because the URL still exist in the page code, they are just hidden with CSS.

1 Like

Yesterday I replaced a remotely hosted image with an alternative one using the same file name. The replacement image remains in use on the home page.

Later when choosing to delete unused images from the asset manager I was surprised to see this file name included in the list, but with no preview. I went ahead and deleted it with no ill effects but it seemed surprising Blocs was still making that connection to the replaced image of the same name.

In another thread @Eldar posted links showing the browser and OS compatibility differences between Bootstrap 4 and 5.

Broadly speaking, it looks like BS4 covers everything to date, whereas BS5 has backwards compatibility with browsers going back 4 years. Given that most people rely on auto updates this probably covers the vast majority of potential site visitors with some exceptions.

When I used Foundation it had issues with older versions of IE, however there was an option in the project settings to set a redirect page if one of those older browsers was identified, rather than showing them a jumbled mess.

In my case I would select the option then redirect them to a simplified html page advising the visitor they cannot view the site because they are using an outdated browser, while pointing them to a web page e.g https://browsehappy.com with a list of modern alternatives. I wondered if Blocs could/should offer something similar.