Blocs 4.2 Beta Build 5

Hey everyone, here is the fifth beta of Blocs 4.2. This release patches more migration issues with Bootstrap 5 and also introduces some new features to help developers prepare for the new multi framework version of Blocs.

Bootstrap 5 :rocket:
It’s here, but please remember the framework is actually still in beta. We have a feeling the official release may happen during the beta testing for Blocs 4.2, however, until then we do not recommend using Bootstrap 5 for live production sites.

Migration :dizzy:
You can migrate up to Bootstrap 5 but not backwards, so as this is a super early beta only migrate with backup projects and again don’t migrate and push to production, it’s way to soon for that. :no_entry:

To migrate, open a Bootstrap 4 project and head to project settings, you will see a new framework dropdown, change this and you are good to go!

Javascript Rewrite :writing_hand:
Almost all of the javascript Blocs generates for light boxes, special navigations, scrollFX etc has all been completely rewritten in vanilla JS so regardless of whether your project uses bootstrap 4 or 5, please test every feature of the site before you move it into production. It’s a big rewrite and there may be some issues in these early stages, that will break functionality once exported.

JS Updates :face_with_monocle:
Jquery and the lazyload javascript have both been updated to the latest versions.

Bonjour, Hallo, Hola! Our none native English speaking users will be happy to hear Blocs now speaks French, German and Spanish. You may notice a bad translation, some text cropping or another little interface oddity. Please let me know if you spot something and it’ll be fixed up in no time!

CSS Selectors :nerd_face:
For those interested in the new CSS selector support, you can now add these manually to classes, below is a list of newly support selectors.

• :first-letter
  • :first-line
  • :selection
  • :first-child
  • :last-child
  • :first-of-type
  • :last-of-type
  • :placeholder

Solis :sunny:
We have also spent some time working on the Blocs companion app Solis, basically patching up some longstanding issues bringing in support for Bootstrap 5. You can download Solis 1.0.7 beta build 1 here.

Summary :grinning:
Please don’t be put off using this version of Blocs, just remember there are a lot of big changes in this release, so only use it for none critical, none production work, at least for the first few betas anyway.

Enjoy testing! :dizzy:

Download Blocs 4.2 Beta Build 5

Don’t forget to hard reload your browser, if the beta doesn’t show!

Additional
Custom Brics now show a warning symbol in the Bric Bar if their framework doesn’t match that of the project. Many of our custom Brics have been updated so they flag the new framework setting in the Bric Builder, you can download the updates for those using the Extension Manager.

There is also this new knowledge base post that should help with any custom code migration issues you may encounter when trying out Bootstrap 5.

6 Likes

No need to respond to most of my bug reports… solved! :grin: :dancing_women: :dancer:t3: :man_dancing:t3: :champagne:

1 Like

The close button issue of the hamburger menu on XS breakpoints still needs some attention.

2 Likes

Love this!
“Custom Brics now show a warning symbol in the Bric Bar if their framework doesn’t match that of the project.”

1 Like

Not that it will be around that much longer, but in Blocs prefs if I enable Drop Mode (Legacy) and then click the Bric library tab on right side, for some projects, Blocs 4.2b5 crashes every time on my M1 Mac Mini. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I should mention that if any of you have been beta testing with an older document like me, if you migrated to BS5 using beta4 and you open that document in beta5, your Modal close boxes will still be broken because there is no second migration that give you the beta5 fixes, and you cannot switch back to BS4 and then BS5 again to trigger a second migration. So basically you need to reopen the original BS4 document and start testing that in beta5.

2 Likes

Good find I’ll get that fixed up!

Yes, good point! :+1:

1 Like

HI guys I don’t think anyone mentioned that the nav bar is not sticky anymore in both BS4 and BS5
in version 4.2 build 4-5 is this the case or just by me?

Thanks

I haven’t experienced any problems with a project using sticky nav in 4.2-b4/5 with BS4 or 5. Even after migrating an existing project to BS5.

@Norm I just reopened one of the bug report tickets pertaining to the Modal Closebox which has been closed. Although the close box now functions properly to close the Modal in 4.2b5, the close box becomes invisible after migrating to BS5.

1 Like

Yeah, I have the same. reported it yesterday already.

EDIT: I exported a second website to Bootsrap 5 as a trial. In this case the Navbar remains “sticky”. It seems to me a random issue.

I just launched 4.2b5 and saw there are Bric updates available:

So these new Brics are designed to work fine with BS4 & BS5, correct?

Yes, they just have added support for the new framework data value. No new features or code changes.

2 Likes

This is fixed and ready for build 6 (early next week)

1 Like

I keep getting a notification that Text Marquee cannot be updated.

Screen Shot 2021-04-09 at 10.05.37 AM

1 Like

I’ll double check that.

I had that as well.

1 Like

Having a crash and able to replicate, not sure if others can. Running on a Mac M1, Big Sur 11.3 Beta 6

Not sure if this is specific to me but I open my project and I am greeted by this:

I click Update All, it disappears, when I edit some text, specifically the footer, as soon as I press backspace is crashes blocs immediately. If I load the project back up, I am greeted by the 4 brics that need updating again.

@Norm do you need my project file?

1 Like

Yes send me a copy :+1: