Blocs 4.3 - Beta Build 3

Hey everyone, here is the third beta of Blocs 4.3. This build includes a new set of granular reset custom Bric options, so you can reset the entire Bric or individual portions of it (HTML, Resources, Template Files).

FYI Right click a custom Bric to access these options.

As well as that, this release contains a range of fixes for the new custom Bric container feature (Table Bric uses this) and a few other fixes here and there.

More to come next week!

Blocs Store Integration :shopping_cart:
You can now find store products and install them directly within Blocs. Products show up with normal search terms or use the search term blocs.store to show the 50 most recent products for the category (Brics in Bric Bar, Blocs in Bloc Bar and Page Templates in New Page window). Most 3rd party developers still need to prepare their products for inclusion in in-app search, so some products don’t show yet.

This feature can be disabled in main preferences :innocent:.

Hallo, Ciao, Olá! Our none native English speaking users will be happy to hear Blocs now speaks Italian, Dutch and Portuguese. You may notice a bad translation, some text cropping or another little interface oddity. Please let me know if you spot something and it’ll be fixed up in no time!

Quick Gallery and Carousel Creation :rocket:
You can now select and drag multiple images from either the Asset manager or the MacOS Finder to quickly create galleries or Carousels.

Drag Text To Canvas :spiral_notepad:
You can now drag text from word processors directly onto the Blocs design canvas to add new text Brics or replace the content of a Bric that is already placed on the page.

Quick Preview :arrow_forward:
Right click the preview button to quickly preview your site in any installed browser.

Visual Impairment Filters :eye:
Blocs now has support for visual impairment filters which you can enable to test your sites for visual impairment accessibility issues.

Show navigation drop downs on hover :computer_mouse:
You can now enable navigation drop downs to auto open when the mouse cursor is over them. (Only works on classic navigation drop downs on mouse/trackpad controlled computers).

Support for Brics within Custom Brics :onion:
The developer API now supports a new html tag (<bric_container></bric_container>) that lets any custom Bric have other Brics placed within it. Just add the above code to a custom Bric and it will gain a new input area that you can add Brics into.

Happy Testing :raised_hands:

Download Blocs 4.3 Beta Build 3

Don’t forget to hard reload your browser, if the beta doesn’t show!

Known Issues
There are various known issues with Blocs 4.3 that I plan to address during the text phase, so please be aware I already know about these issues.

Blocs Store Integration
Currently installed custom Blocs may show duplicates when you search the store for Blocs.

Visual Impairment Filters
This feature uses SVG filters to apply the visual impairment filters, unfortunately SVG filters don’t play well with the Safari webkit engine (which the Blocs canvas uses) so you will see lag when you apply a filter and scroll. Disabling the filter back to none will return scroll speed.

I’m hoping Apple fix this soon, so please bare with it.

Support for Brics within Custom Brics
I definitely have a few more grey hairs after implementing this, it’s been a real challenge. It’s still a bit rough in areas and you will very likely see selection issues if you nest Tables within Tables or Custom Brics within custom Brics within Custom Brics.

I’ve tested it a lot in house but I’m still able to break things, so developers please don’t roll out any products that depend on it until it’s rock solid.

11 Likes

Thanks so much for the recent api improvements :star_struck:

2 Likes

Sounds great. What have we to do there to show them? I guess they must be free and download link to a .bex file?

There are now “Bric ID” and “App Icon” fields in the Blocs store.

As long as you are using in app updates the only other step is place the ID of the custom bric into the Bric ID field and provide an icon.

3 Likes

Im still having issues with scroll to target :frowning_face:

Free and premium products show in Blocs.Store search.

1 Like

Check the new blocs.js for scroll intersections, it should give you the key to why your data attributes versions no longer work.

Off the top of my I’m not sure but that function has changed so it’s likely to require a code change at your end rather than in Blocs.

No problem, thanks for putting forward the idea :raised_hands:

2 Likes

Where I can find that? So now it´s more complex than before to accomplish the same?

Export your project with minify JS switched off and check the scroll to function.

It’s not more complex, just different. Since you are implementing this manually Blocs can’t migrate the functionality automatically.

1 Like

@chicuelo

Add a scroll to using the built in method. Then examine the HTML markup for the attributes being used. That’s one method.

I am using toggle visibility as a built in method, and data attiribute to scroll down because the button triggers 2 actions. It closes the menu and scrolls down. I also have some links with 3 actions, toggle, scroll and change tabs inside tab anything (that is working fine with data attribute)

1 Like

@Norm Did anything change regarding the ‘onclick’ function in js? I recently updated one of my sites with Blocs 4.2.2 and now the mega menu no longer works on mobile.

Oh, how I long to use Blocs in the English language again! :cry: :crying_cat_face: :sob:

Yes, English is my primary language in MacOS:

But even if this bug is found to be exclusive to High Sierra, I cannot upgrade. I require the stability of this fabulous OS to get real work done.

Next…

This second bug in High Sierra is also driving me absolutely insane.

I know there must be at least one among us who still uses Mojave… It’s time to show yourself so as to do some real beta testing via the 9 steps below:

1. Create a new document in 4.3b3.
  2. Create a new Column.
  3. With that Bloc selected, click Image in the right sidebar to add a background image.
  4. Click + in the Asset Manager and choose Add Hosted Asset.
  5. Copy/paste this example URL and then click the Add button: https://kiramek.com/img/Cars_At_Dusk2f_2560X586_Q35.jpg
  6. Click on the graphic to apply it. You should then see it appear on the Canvas.
  7. Now add a paragraph so that you have at least some content in that Bloc to display when you Preview.
  8. Preview (in Blocs or browser) and note that the background image doesn’t appear! That is the bug.
  9. Now download that graphic, remove the Hosted background image and use that same image as a Local background image, then Preview and you will see it displays fine! This proves the bug pertains to “Hosted” background images only.

Thank you.

Wow sorry @JDW, I’ve no idea why you are getting this issue.

It’s so odd that it’s the Dutch translation that is being auto loaded.

Maybe your Mac wants you to learn Dutch :joy:

I’ll hopefully get this addressed in build 4.

2 Likes

Dank u.

Als ik tekst kan kopiëren en plakken, kan ik Google Translate gebruiken om tekst naar het Engels te converteren. Maar in het geval van de gebruikersinterface kan ik dat niet doen.

2 Likes

So your Mac knows your native language and chooses to apply that to Blocs despite your language settings… kudos to Apple. That‘s one hell of an AI :eyes:

Glad my Mac hasn’t yet noticed that I’m German :no_mouth: Guess I was lucky, not enabling Siri at all.

@pumpkin
Mein Mac kennt meine bevorzugte Sprache, weil ich ihm meine bevorzugte Sprache mitteile. BLOCS kannte die Sprache meines Macs, aber nicht mehr. Jetzt denkt BLOCS, ich spreche Niederländisch.

Und um allen hier ein Beispiel von dem zu geben, was ich leider in BLOCS erlebe, habe ich mich entschieden, Google Translate zu verwenden, um mein Englisch ins Deutsche zu konvertieren. Genießen!

Sorry, I meant to be funny. Guess it didn’t work.

Remotely hosted images working fine on Mojave. @Norm

2 Likes