Blocs 4.4 Beta Build 7

Hey everyone, here is the 7th beta of Blocs 4.4. This release patches up a bunch of issues new and old.

Still more improvements to come…

Dark Theming
Blocs 4.4 introduces a range of improvements to aid the workflow of creating a website that supports dark and light theme modes.

The class dark-theme is added to the body tag when a Blocs site is run on a device that is running a dark OS theme.

Within Blocs you can emulate this using the canvas dark site mode option to switch the dark-theme class on and off within Blocs, this is also applied to in-app preview, but not preview in browser (that is depended on your Macs own theme option).

In the Class Manager if you right click a class you can also now opt to create a dark theme version of a class. Any changes made to this will only effect the site when run in dark mode. Notice it’s just a duplicated class with the leading dark-theme class before it.

Thats basically how you target dark theme .dark-theme .yourclass

The video below is a quick example of setting a Bloc background dark for dark mode.

Dark Theme

Missing Font Manager
The Missing Font Manager will be shown if a missing font is detected when opening projects, adding custom Blocs and page templates. At this early stage of testing, it may be triggered without reason so keep an eye out for that.

Kon’nichiwa! Our Japanese speaking users will be happy to hear Blocs now speaks Japanese. You may notice a bad translation, some text cropping or another little interface oddity. Please let me know if you spot something and it’ll be fixed up in no time!

New Wordpress short codes
Some new short codes for Wordpress.

• %WP_singleCatTitle% = <?php echo single_cat_title();?>
  • %WP_singleCatIdVar% = get_cat_ID(single_term_title("", false))
  • %WP_postCatIdArray% = wp_get_post_categories( get_the_ID(), array( ‘fields’ => ‘ids’ ) )
  • %WP_getPostArchiveLink(PostArchiveNameGoesHere)% = <?php echo get_post_type_archive_link('PostArchiveNameGoesHere'); ?>
  • %WP_categoryURL(categoryGoesNameHere)%) = <?php echo get_category_link(get_cat_ID('categoryGoesNameHere')); ?>

Happy testing folks! :beers:

Download Blocs 4.4 Beta Build 7

Don’t forget to hard reload your browser, if the beta doesn’t show!

Additional
Im still working on a few other outstanding issues such as missing background images so please sit tight those will be addressed soon.

3 Likes

Thank you @Norm for all the time you’ve put into this beta. :smile: Reading through all the fixes, shows us how dedicated you are in helping us. We truly don’t know what you do to implement all the changes, but we grateful.

1 Like

Beta 7 is still looking for Lato font and wanting to update blochead.dev Brics every time I open it. Also sent @Norm a Bug Report for Blocs not allowing duplication or editing.

@KBConcepts Have you been running earlier betas on the same project? Blocs is simply finding references to that font in the project and asking you to reinstall them. Alternatively you can remove all reference to that font and solve the problem that way.

The issue with a couple brics from Whittfield asking to reinstall every time has been there for a while and I am hoping he can resolve this with Norm. I’d like to see a fix for the store ID mixup as well. None of these are major issues though and should be easily fixable.

Yes, same issues. I’d already remove the “missing” font many times and re-installed, but it did not work. Yes, been waiting for @Whittfield to resolve this issue. I was going to purchase Smart Nav, but I’m waiting for his fix. To me they are a major issue, because I cannot use his Brics.

I don’t see why this would stop you using the brics. It’s just a case of updating the store id, so it matches the brics. It’s really not a big deal. The update issue doesn’t stop us from using the brics either. It’s more like a false notification for an update that doesn’t really exist.

Hi, @Norm. When using toggle visibility it’s a bit ‘bumpy’ when showing. Hiding is smooth tough.
Kapture 2021-09-22 at 08.57.13

When Blocs makes a backup we select a location, but if I leave for a while without saving after making changes I come back and it no longer says edited, suggesting the open project has been saved whether wanted it or not. That sounds potentially dangerous if it saves the active project at the wrong time.

Screenshot 2021-09-22 at 13.08.28

This is indeed how Blocs backup works, it auto saves and stores the state.

An option could be added to only make a backup, when a project has saved changes, which would prevent this.

2 Likes

That could work or perhaps some means of separating the two via a preference option. The current preference gives the impression it is creating a backup project, but failing to advise it auto saves the current project file a well.

To give this some context, I was playing with a new layout for a contact page and wasn’t 100% sure if I wanted to go ahead with the new route or revert to a previous layout, so I avoided saving the project at this stage.

I then had to leave the house and when I came back I realised Blocs had saved the changes automatically. It might be I could have accessed the old layout through a previous backup, but depending on the timing and user settings that option might have been lost.

3 Likes

I agree with @Flashman on this. This is a UX issue that should be corrected. I found it risky when working on exploratory changes. To me auto-backup implies saving changes on the currently open project somewhere in a predefined location in case of disaster, but not overwriting the original project.

Although I like the idea of auto-saving, but not knowing this upfront can be bad.
One scenario in where this hurt, is spending several hours exploring concepts and ideas only to find I’m not able to revert to a state I preferred (and thought I could - because I didn’t save it) but found out I couldn’t because it was auto-saved. And checking the backups didn’t help because I didn’t specified a huge number of backups to keep.

Perhaps remove this action from backup and add as a separate feature.

Edit: just realized I basically said the same thing @Flashman said in terms of how it affects users. At lease this confirms there is an issues with this. :wink: :slight_smile:

1 Like

That wretched issue is back where I am unable to save the project following changes without creating a new project. This happened once before and I mentioned it in another thread, but I am struggling to find it now. It never happened before 4.4.

The name of the project is missing from the interface and after making changes there is no reference saying it is edited.

iCloud sync involved?

I’ve found all kinds of odd stuff with iCloud over the last few weeks.

The file is stored in the iCloud folder but no other computer is connected. My understanding is that iCloud files are first stored inside the user’s account on the main drive before uploading, so these problems are perplexing and I’ve not seen this elsewhere.

It’s rare though and just seems to come out of the blue. This is the second time now and it’s an Intel mini. Both times with the same project.