Blocs 4.4 Beta Build 9

Hey everyone, here is the 9th beta of Blocs 4.4. More fixes and improvements.

Dark Theming
Blocs 4.4 introduces a range of improvements to aid the workflow of creating a website that supports dark and light theme modes.

The class dark-theme is added to the body tag when a Blocs site is run on a device that is running a dark OS theme.

Within Blocs you can emulate this using the canvas dark site mode option to switch the dark-theme class on and off within Blocs, this is also applied to in-app preview, but not preview in browser (that is depended on your Macs own theme option).

In the Class Manager if you right click a class you can also now opt to create a dark theme version of a class. Any changes made to this will only effect the site when run in dark mode. Notice it’s just a duplicated class with the leading dark-theme class before it.

Thats basically how you target dark theme .dark-theme .yourclass

The video below is a quick example of setting a Bloc background dark for dark mode.

Dark Theme

Missing Font Manager
The Missing Font Manager will be shown if a missing font is detected when opening projects, adding custom Blocs and page templates. At this early stage of testing, it may be triggered without reason so keep an eye out for that.

Kon’nichiwa! Our Japanese speaking users will be happy to hear Blocs now speaks Japanese. You may notice a bad translation, some text cropping or another little interface oddity. Please let me know if you spot something and it’ll be fixed up in no time!

New Wordpress short codes
Some new short codes for Wordpress.

• %WP_singleCatTitle% = <?php echo single_cat_title();?>
  • %WP_singleCatIdVar% = get_cat_ID(single_term_title("", false))
  • %WP_postCatIdArray% = wp_get_post_categories( get_the_ID(), array( ‘fields’ => ‘ids’ ) )
  • %WP_getPostArchiveLink(PostArchiveNameGoesHere)% = <?php echo get_post_type_archive_link('PostArchiveNameGoesHere'); ?>
  • %WP_categoryURL(categoryGoesNameHere)%) = <?php echo get_category_link(get_cat_ID('categoryGoesNameHere')); ?>

Happy testing folks :sunglasses:

Download Blocs 4.4 Beta Build 9

Don’t forget to hard reload your browser, if the beta doesn’t show!

Additional
Im still working on a few other outstanding issues such as missing background images so please sit tight those will be addressed soon.

9 Likes

I’ve just had that saving issue again on this project for the fifth time now, so I saved it with a new name, then moved it out of iCloud and into my user folder.

As soon as I opened the new project from outside of iCloud it tells me the project has been edited before I have even touched it.

1 Like

With the beta?

Yes with this beta.

1 Like

If the project file was somehow corrupted while in the iCloud (not by Blocs), could it still be corrupted even though saved with a new name and moved out of iCloud?

I think what is happening is the path is changing on iCloud or at least the Mac thinks that and once this happens during use Blocs loses its save location.

Biggest problem right now is I’m still yet to replicate it :sweat_smile:

So far no other app has had this problem and it has only occurred with a single project in Blocs, though I haven’t worked much on other projects recently. Prior to this I have developed multiple Blocs projects while stored in iCloud without a problem, however this has been happening fairly regularly since 4.4 with this project.

Now the project is outside iCloud I will obviously keep an eye on it to see if it happens again.

2 Likes

Just found that if I place the cursor in front of some text following some line breaks and hit the back button it doesn’t delete the preceding line breaks as expected; instead it creates new ones after the text. The line breaks have to be selected and removed individually, which doesn’t feel very Mac like.

1 Like

I’ll check that out.

Another point I have found is that sometimes you can clear the contents of a paragraph or header and it effectively becomes invisible on the page, however it is still there in the layer tree and exported with the site.

A couple times recently I have clicked on elements in the layer tree and just see a thin blue line appear on the canvass with no content. It can then be deleted, however this is easily missed otherwise in teh general flow of work and it would be helpful if Blocs had some means either highlighting or cleaning this more effectively.