Blocs 5 Publishing

I am a new user to blocs, but I have been using Rapidweaver for years. I am having an issue publishing the site. I am using Dreamiest and when I test the connection it confirms the connection to the server. When I try to publish it starts but quickly gives me an error “Connection Error, Check Server Credentials” I am using the same server information that Dreamhost provides. I use these in Transmit and Rapidweaver without error. The path to the site is /home/user/sitename.com

Try Path: public_html
Works for me.

Tried public_html/site. And public_html/username/sitename

Neither one worked. Are you using dream host?

I only use public_html
Nothing else.
With me that works. I don’t use dream host. Antagonist.

Thanks. But Dreamhost server is not setup like that. I have multiple sites on one server so I need to specify a site directory.

did it work?

That was it for me then. Can’t tell you much more that works for me. Maybe the next suggestion will be more successful. I’m sorry. Good night.

Are you using the right port number?

Yes. I using port 22

Try to switch the protocol to FTP:
Blocs5 Protocol

@Norm helped me massively, and updating you can test the connection before trying to publish. but leaving the path blank worked for me

Hi,

Try just using /public_html/ for the path if that directory exist.

or just use /sitename.com/ seems like this would work.

If you are using Sftp the connection is going to drop you into /home/user/

Maybe this will work for you.

Also Dreamhost may have some alternate port number for Sftp like 2222

1 Like

Strange that there are a dozen possibilities to enter the correct data. If I upload my website with “ForkLift3” it goes fine when I fill in nothing at “Path”. If I upload the same website with Blocs and I fill in nothing at “Path” and I test the connection first it gives a green light. When I try to publish it starts but quickly gives me an error “Connection Error, Check Server Credentials”. Then under “Path” I enter public_html and it goes fine. Years ago, I used “Freeway Pro” to create my website. This one also had built-in FTP. There I had to enter
" /domains/mywebsite.com/public_html ". So mywebsite.com without “https://www.” Hang in there. Eventually it will work out.

Thank you for your advice! I changed the path to /sitename.com/ and the server as https://sitename.com as well.

Works like a champ.

I am also using dreamhost to host my site and having the same issues. I am following the thread and trying the advice shared, but still cannot get blocs to publish. The connection is successful with username and password, but the server, path, etc. does not seem to be working. When you say /sitename.com/ do you mean your domain or the alternate domain that dreamhost provides. I got my domain through Google.

Hi @jenkman61 @mattmgut

I’m with Dreamhost and also used RW. Now the RW was a FTP application that ropey. I find that the path with DH is normally the domain name. e.g mysite.com

If you need any more help let me know.

Ray

I’ve been using Filezilla forever. Never had an issue. Simple and straight-forward FTP client.

M@

1 Like

Hello.
how to see in filezilla a site created in blocs for further publication?

Resolution: Apparently I had not finished setting up my DreamHost hosting preferences before trying to upload. DreamHost responded quickly via email/chat and set me on the right track. Everything is working as expected. Thanks for responding to this thread.

Matthew

Hi,
I was having the same problem for some time now.
I had tried every possible combination of settings.
As you know, a FTP user has a home directory. If you created your FTP user in cPanel you designated a folder to be that user’s home.
When you try to connect to your server with a FTP user, you will end up straight into that directory.
What worked for me in Blocs is I created a special FTP user that had the home directory in that website home directory. And in publish settings I only used "/"for path, as Blocs already knows where to go when it connects to the server.
It took me a long time to figure that out and I hope it will help other people.

3 Likes