Blocs 5 - Two Macs?

It’s not that easy. Every new user will not equal a new support request. :blush:

Let’s agree that simplifications might still get the point across.

1 Like

The best support that users can get from, in my opinion, is from from fellow users.

That’s why we have this community forum for users to discuss each other issues.

I try not to get tech support from developer, unless it has something to do with the software itself, like crashing all the time, etc.

Hi @Pixla - before the refund which Norm will honour as he’s a top guy, See what he does as there might be a solution or at least mention what might happen going forward as his is a concern for users.

If this is such a big thing to have 2 - why not buy 2? I understand the business model is different from before - but it’s relatively cheap I think and 45% off right now!!!

Good luck on how it works for you as Blocs 4 is still damn good!!! But you might be kicking yourself if you get 5 refunded and buy it in 2 weeks time at full price again.

3 Likes

Honestly, what is the difference between:

1. always switching the licence on and off
  2. blocs software does not allow simultaneous use of a licence.

For Norm nothing changes, the two variants are practically identical. But there is a big difference for the user - with the first variant I have the feeling that I will always be considered as a potential fraud, apart from the fact that it is not comfortable and not up-to-date.

And, frankly, I don’t want to be reminded of this mistrust every time I switch a licence on and off.

3 Likes

And this is not about money at all, but about trust!

3 Likes

I use Sitelok a lot for live streaming websites with Blocs, and one option in the backend is when a user is logged in to say a desktop & they log in to a iPad at the same time, then it kicks off the desktop user. This is purely to stop users sharing the code and 2 people benefiting from one login.

Of course the user must be online for this - but something like this could be incorporated?

And if 2 users need to work fully at the same time - then BOOM 2 licences.

Or if this can’t be done……buy 2 at 45% off!

That’s my last comment on this as Norm is looking into it….I’m more than happy with how it is now - and my time is now being put into saying how bloody amazing Blocs 5 is at a price that’s unbelievable!.

It would help me to know where this is coming from.
Is it 1: “we feel that Blocs is a software that a single user should license per computer”?*
But then it doesn’t make sense to allow for limitless activation/deactivation. Unless they just want the process to hurt in order to boost sales.

Or is it 2: "we have had issues with license sharing where two single users (not living in the same home) are sharing a single license between two MacBooks?

I am a single user that only needs one license for this one software. I had 4 computers at one point. I would actually expect my licensed software to work on all of them at the same time. But the industry standard has become to at least allow two to cover the most common use case: desktop and laptop.

Will not be buying after the deal period ends. Hoping this gets resolved somehow. Was happy with my purchase until this morning.

• = if this is the case, I’ll most likely revert to 4. The other cases can probably be solved somehow.
1 Like

Paying twice for the same software for own use is not fair, no matter how cheap it is.

Many other software companies out there are adopting 1 licence 2 computer installs, but not use at the same time. To name a few.

1. Rapidweaver
  2. QuarkXPress
  3. Adobe

Some others have unlimited install on unlimited computers, pay 1 price, and these developers trust their customer will not use them simultaneously:

1. Affinity Suite
  2. Sparkle
  3. Hype 4

Fair use. That’s all. I used Blocs since version 2, upgraded to 3 and 4. Why suddenly change from version 5?

4 Likes

I also got the 404 page. I just hit the little reload button on the page itself and I was redirected instantly. Browser cache problem. Hope it helps.

Hm, while I can understand most of the arguments I still scratch my head when I read complaints from users that have the cash to buy two MacBooks, or a MacBook and an iMac, using their MacBook when they visit clients.

Yes, deactivating and re-activating the license is annoying. People are generally comfortable. But if you have clients, I don’t‘ see an issue to purchase a second license.

But hey, I can talk. Only a MacBook and no clients yet in sight :cry:

3 Likes

It’s not as cheap as you might think when you convert from US dollars to pathetic Australian dollars.

I’m yet another who is used to all but a couple of apps being licenced for a desktop and a laptop. I don’t want to use the same app on both computers simultaneously, but I do want to be able to pick up my laptop and continue the work in another room.
I don’t share software. I don’t use pirated software. As others have said, 2 computers (usually desktop and laptop) is pretty much the norm for most software … certainly for the ones I use.

I did upgrade from Blocs 4 but I didn’t realise that if you bought a second licence it would be at a big discount (lax marketing, Blocs). Nevertheless, the point remains, 2 computers for the licenced user would be greatly appreciated.

I suspect this pricing decision might cost more than anticipated. I know if I were buying it for the first time and saw it was only allowed on one computer and that the price in Australian dollars was not insignificant, I wouldn’t buy it. That would be a shame because it’s a fantastic program.

1 Like

Hopefully some kind of middle ground can be achieved between how the developer wants to manage the licensing and what many users (including me) expect from the app, which is to be able to use a single license on two different computers, (but not at the same time obvs).

I only really use Blocs to manage my own websites, I make zero profit from web design so a second license is out of the question.

I’ll probably upgrade this time, but if it turns out to be a bit of a ball ache I’ll be looking for other solutions moving forward.

2 Likes

Having a desktop and a laptop is a risk management decision as much as anything.

In Australia, that’s an extremely expensive exercise (with the way Apple price gouges us), but important to have a backup computer in case one dies (just before a deadline). Also important to have a second one for taking to clients, using for presentations, etc.

Believe, if there were a way to not spend the money and be able to ensure you had adequate risk management (i.e. system redundancy), I wouldn’t spend the money. I’d much prefer to put it into retirement fund!

I should add that I do not use Blocs for building websites for clients. If I did, the second licence would not be a problem. I only use Blocs for my own website. Currently, semi-retired and earning only a trickle income. Blocs is not cheap in Australia (our exchange rate sucks!).

Same. Only use for my own website, but do want to be able to work on it when away from the desktop.

Note: I just tried the deactivate/activate thing to get the thing to work on my laptop.
Be warned: when you deactivate, it wipes out the activation code and email. So, it seems that every time to you want to reactivate on that computer you’re going to have to retrieve your activation code! Yet another step.

On the topic of x2 Macs, @Pixla’s suggestion of including that as part of the Plus deal, seems a good idea, @Norm .

2 Likes

To at least include it with the Plus version (which I actually bought for other reasons) seems like a no-brainer.

2 Likes

Hi folks, I’m glad that the operating version isn’t higher than OS 10.15. Otherwise I would either have had to continue working with the 4th version or spend 4500 €… Of course I have an iMac 27 + 2nd monitor + MacBook Air. I don’t work with the customer because it’s much too cumbersome for me on such a screen (iPad for me, among other things, therefore also uninteresting). All customers understand. However, many also work mobile for customers. Hopefully you also earn money with customers :slight_smile: After 1-2 hours it would be out for the 2nd license. + taxable. Only the model might be worth considering. So easier, I think Norm will do it. An ABO model would have been “over” for me. I look forward to the new program.

Very Much well said :clap:

After a night’s sleep and following this topic decided to purchase Blocs 5 after all. Despite the new 1 license / 1 Mac policy, it remains a more than reasonable price for a wonderful app. And Blocs is the nicest toy I have. Well … almost :smirk: :blush: . I am now, like all previous times, very happy with the new Blocs. Thanks Norm.

Sorry, I did something wrong. It wasn’t especially for Piet.

4 Likes

Same here. I bet try other apps once. Working with them ]gives you a true feeling of working on a Native macOS app as against Blocs whose interface is a lot laggy when you stretch the window on the big iMac screen at highest resolution. You can actually see the Blocs screen redrawing itself just like the window screen in 90s.

Even I might plan to move to another app in the future as they have much better and customer centric options when it comes to upgrades.

Hey @Vermaji Blocs uses the standard native WKWebView to display the website you are creating on the design canvas. This gives you an almost true representation of how the code will render in a browser. It’s basically the same rendering engine as inside of Safari.

You know, Apples native web browser?

The technique Blocs uses is referred to as “building in the browser”. Creating right inside of a web rendering view.

Apart from the actual website code you are creating and manipulating, almost the entire UI of Blocs is native. The windows, menus, Bloc/Bric bars etc.

So your observations and assumptions are simply misplaced and incorrect.

We have been building Blocs for a long time now and have 5 major launches behind us. With every launch we see a few community members like yourself try and mock Blocs, make accusations, pull it apart. Of course once a new version goes out there are bugs, things we need to improve.

But as you can see, we are still here, going strong, listening and learning :muscle:

We absolutely love to hear feedback, over the years we have had some brutally honest critics here. Their feedback although harsh and to the point, was well intended.

We have also had troll-like feedback, feedback that is simply intended to disrupt, demotivate our team and this community. It’s fairly easy to spot.

Reading some of your recent (flagged) comments, they are beginning to look less like feedback and more like trolling.

If that is the case, just go and put your time into something else more positive.

You won’t disrupt this team or community.

23 Likes