Blocs and PHP?

One of my clients, whose website I maintain, has received the following notice from the web host:

“The life cycle of the PHP 7.4 version will end on November 28. and its use should be abandoned for data security reasons. It will be removed from Zoner’s web hotels on January 31, 2023, and it will not be possible to use it after that.”

And they request that the pages are PHP 8.0 compatible in the future. What does this have to do with pages made with the Blocs app? I had Blocs version 4.5 and just updated to 4.5.2.

You should be fine. Blocs works well with PHP 8. I cannot vouch with 100% certainty for older versions of Blocs but no worries with Blocs 4.

This is actually something I’m potentially facing very soon with an old client site I build with Foundation in Rapidweaver that will not support any PHP version beyond 7.4. In practice the main site will continue to work when PHP 7.4 is removed at some stage, however the mail contact form will break. I contacted the client about this a year or so ago but never had a reply.

I would go with php 8 or 8.1. They are faster and more secure. Older versions work but it is better to use the new ones.

Just addressing this bit… If you’re using a contact form, the site is using PHP.

1 Like

There is no contact form on the website!

One more question. I have updated the page into 4.5.2 and when I made a new export command, duplicate folders were created from certain folders?
Näyttökuva 2022-9-27 kello 18.24.39

Why so?

I think, but not certain, that it’s an occasional issue with iCloud.

The PHP email from the host will be generic, they won’t be looking at each client to see if they are using PHP. If you’re not, no problem.

I’ve seen the duplicate folders various times if I export to an iCloud location without first deleting the entire contents of the relevant folder for the exported website.

I export to my computer, not to iCloud. I checked when the duplicates started appearing. They started appearing in February of this year! I made the test; I saved in to a completely new folder; no change – duplicates still. Apparently there is a bug in the program?

If you are certain that folder is not backed up to iCloud this sounds unusual. Try running some tests to see exactly what is happening and then submit a bug report. This is not something heard from others, so it may be something particular to your setup.

Maybe we’ll look at export settings first; are these correct?
xx

I don’t see anything wrong there. Just note that cache bust is good during development but disable it when the final site goes live.

Could you clarify a bit more about this cache thing. What does this have to do with Blocs-app’s double files in the export?

It has absolutely nothing to do with the double export files. During development this option forces the browser not to use the cache, but once development has finished you should disable it, so that visitors see better page load performance.

My original question about the PHP level has been resolved. I had misunderstood the webhostel’s announcement. The web site is moving to use PHP level 8 and I just need to make sure that my www page material works on that PHP 8 level. And this has already come up here, that Blocs App also works at the PHP 8 level. And I have also tried it and the pages seem to work normally.

These duplicates are still unanswered. How do I report this to the developers of the program?

You can always file a bug report (if applicable) via Reporting Bugs – Blocs – User Documents