Blocs app buyer's perspective

Well well if you are so unhappy why not chose another app and load all your unconstructive critisms on another forum…

2 Likes

Thats interesting. Did you try Google in the W3C validator, It doesn’t look like they care about W3C either. Here is some of the most popular websites in existence, all have errors and warning according to W3C.

Google - W3C score

Yahoo - W3C Score

Bing - W3C Score

Apple - W3C Score

Microsoft - W3C Score

I’d like to throw my 2 cents out there, I started using Blocs and was slightly furiated at what I thought was limited capability, its only through spending some time playing around, watching videos, the help of this forum and building a 50 page website with over 1,800 images that I’ve learned new and more advanced things when building a website, and if I had to do it all again, it would be completely different. Unfortunately, its very hard to make something incredibly easy to use for beginners but also extremely advanced and in-depth for professional. As a business owner who thrives on a good reputation and customer service, I think @Norm is doing a perfect job considering he dedicates a lot of his time to developing Blocs, plus his family time, and responding to feedback, bugs and helping others out with issues they encounter as much as he can.

7 Likes

Ok, this post thread looks like a good place to throw 2 cents. :smile:

This is mine. I talk mostly about Blocs in this video.

6 Likes

Eldar, Thank You! This video really sums up what many Blocs users have experienced. I had the same intial thought about Bloc 1 until I kept learning how it works. With the advances in mobile devices many web designers have had to change.

Believe me, I’ve had my share of Blocs frustrations along the way (just ask Norm). I think the most important thing anyone can take away from Eldar’s video is stop trying to exploit its weakness and find it’s strengths. It has many, just look around at the sites that have been built with Blocs.

Casey

4 Likes

Well done, thats a really nice video and perspective, as always @Eldar.

Also your corresponding Blog post.
https://eldargezalov.com/how-my-passion-for-helping-people-has-changed-my-life.html

@norm There are portions of this video (directly related to Blocs) that may be worth adding on the home page of Blocs app. Perhaps under some heading such as “Coming from another web designer app?” followed by a list of those various apps, then this video.

@Eldar You might also consider making basic singular videos or Blog posts (for each popular app people may come to Blocs from) showing the mindset and workflow differences to help people coming from other apps more easily adjust to Blocs. Having these basic comparative videos free and public may help those coming from other apps to Blocs and help both Norm and yourself.

3 Likes

@Blocs_User As always, thank you for kind words!

The video (and the post) was actually part of the process of rebuilding my new website. I wanted to tell my story on my new about page, but your suggestion is actually very good! I didn’t use all of the apps out there extensively (ex, webflow, wixdotcom, etc), but I can do that for the ones I have mentioned in the post and video. Thank you for your suggestion.

Cheers,
Eldar

1 Like

Google? Apple? Are these really good examples? :slight_smile: These sites have millions of visits a day without search engine positioning. They could only contain errors. :smiley:

The google search engine does not like sites that have errors and this has an impact on the positioning of the site. You do not believe? Ask a friend who knows.

And what about the form? Will still send emails with a hardcoded message in English: “You have received a new message.”? Will the form still display hard-coded in English: “Not a valid email address”?

Let me tell you something. You want to scold me and downplay what I write. I do not mind. But to downplay such trifles is not seriously treating the client who would like to help improve the application. I feel very disgusted.:woozy_face: EOT.

We get the problem with the email form. I’m sure it’s on the to-do list. No point in going on about it.

The W3C issues, I think for most of the Blocsapp community it’s not regarded as a serious problem. You will need to decide how important the issue is and how you might improve things.

Nobody is scolding you.

You aren’t in a battle. You have no need to feel disgusted.

I think you are at one of those crossroads. Either embrace what blocsapp is, or find a better alternative.

3 Likes

I’m not scolding you, I’m simply making my point and providing evidence on why W3C validation is not somthing you should loose sleep over. I’m trying to reassure you and broaden your knowledge.

Trust me, if this was an issue, I’d be out of business, infact if it where that bad you wouldn’t even be here as the Blocs site is built with Blocs and google wouldn’t rank it so no one would find it to buy it.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a modern site pass a W3C validation test. I’d love to see some good modern examples.

I’ll take a look at the form issue and I’ll see if I can improve the validation, however I’m not sure it’s going to be possibly to get a full pass especially if you use embeds, but I will try to improve this :+1:

3 Likes

I tend to find that most Blocs pages pass validation or fail for really silly points, like the transparent lazyload.png not having an alt attribute. One point that crops up is success-msg not being allowed on an element form, but I cannot honestly see that impacting your site in any major way.

Out of curiosity I just ran a check on a couple web pages done using Foundation and they were laden with validation errors that I didn’t expect, yet nevertheless they rank well.

3 Likes

Yeah, maybe coders just got lazy but I’m going to try an improve it For Blocs sites.

1 Like

Hello, I was just browsing and stumbled across this thread as I’m interested in becoming a customer.

And I believe @c0mp0ser has been misunderstood by what he refers to as client he actually means being a blocs customer. So his intention to point out expectations and experience with the software is valuable and should be considered, as @Norm openly did.

Have fun
Andy

3 Likes

Andy I went back to look at the first post and I think you are absolutely right. It’s never been about clients wanting to take over their websites, but simply the client vs developer perspective.

So a good chunk of my posts and some others is just plain wrong.

My apologies for the misunderstanding regarding handing over websites to the clients @c0mp0ser.

Paul

2 Likes

Quick update I’ve fixed up various W3C warnings relating to forms. These fixes included in Blocs 3 which is weeks away from launch. I’ll address the form language issue next.

Keep the faith :fist:

7 Likes

Sorry guys, but my english is far from perfect. :stuck_out_tongue: Obviously I have not enough skills to describe properly what is on my mind… Sorry for a mess!!!

1. I love the Blocs App
  2. I would be glad if this app would be the best it can be
  3. I’m trying to be helpful for developers, nothing more. And I’m trying to help to improve the things which are painful to me and as I suppose maybe to the others too.
  4. In the future I will try to be precise with my statements, without this unnecessary additional “philosophy”. :wink:

Thank you for the patience. Happy working! :ok_hand:

BTW. TWO of the websites created by me using the Blocs app are still present online and they are doing well. Both are almost 100% W3C valid.

6 Likes

I’ve just added the ability to set the greeting message via the sidebar in Blocs 3. So next week this is no longer going to be an issue. :+1:

7 Likes

“Next Week” Spoiler alert lol. Checking my piggy bank for funds.

1 Like

As far I know - “Not valid email address” is still not translatable using the Blocs 2 interface … I have to check it in Blocs 3.

EDIT: Still the same situation in Blocs 3. Form messages should be all translatable using Blocs interface. The way of this feature implemetation depends on you … :slight_smile:
I hope my english is understandable … :roll_eyes:

not_editable

Leave it with me!

4 Likes