Blocs project not being saved

Thanks, I will have a play around and see if that works for me. Hopefully the issue is resolved soon, so I don’t have to be on my guard all the time! Like someone mentioned above, closing my macbook whilst having an unsaved project open seems to kill the ability to save… I’ll just need to be careful until a fix is found.

So if you close your laptop it breaks save every time? Are you using Catalina?

I’m wondering if this issue relates mainly to people using laptops. Blocs appears to be an app that doesn’t prevent sleep which means that if a laptop goes into sleep mode, the app will not continue running in the background. Maybe when the laptop comes out of sleep mode while blocs is fired up, it loses its ability to save upon being woken up. Certainly, if a project is using hosted assets on a cloud server, the connection to the server would be lost when the app goes into sleep mode, which may cause an issue or two. I understand that disabling sleep mode consumes more power, but it may be something that is contributing to the issue. Therefore, it may be an idea to have a user selectable App Nap option enabled in the app info window. As the screen shot below shows, blocs doesn’t currently have the option to turn this function off and on. Presumably, app nap is enabled by default.

Certain apps, such as Apple music DO continue running in sleep mode which means it continues playing music when the lid is closed on a laptop. See the activity monitor screenshot below.

1 Like

It certainly appears to be the case, I’ll have to play around and see if I can replicate the issue consistently by closing the lid. Yes, I’m on Catalina.

1 Like

I’ve just tried editing a project and then both closing the laptop, and putting it to sleep manually before saving, and it saved the project fine… sorry, that was what seemed to be causing it for me, but obviously not.

It could be, it may just take extended periods. I’m guna started testing this theory on Monday when I’m back in office.

1 Like

Hi Norm, I’ve experienced the same exact problem on Catalina (10.15.6) and wondered what the root cause was.

I noticed someone else posted that they experienced the issue when a user was controlling the screen remotely, and then realized my setup isn’t all that different. More precisely, I sometimes use an app called Barrier that allows me to control my PC using my Mac’s keyboard and mouse. In my case, the Mac is the master while I control another machine remotely, but I figured maybe there’s something in this type of setup that’s causing the problem.

Since carefully quitting Barrier and all its processes on my Mac before running Blocs, I have not experienced the same problem and the app saves everything normally. This doesn’t definitively prove anything, of course, but it may be worth looking into.

Blocs is wonderful and incredibly valuable software. Thank you for all you do!

2 Likes

Unfortunately, it is still happening and frustrating. Sometimes it saves the project, sometimes there is no content when I open it again. The assets are visible, but all the pages are gone.
The files with the purple icon are the bad ones

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-14 um 17.46.59

Which version of Blocs?

With Blocs 3.5.3 if save fails, it should keep the save dialog open, if this happens generate an app system report before you restart Blocs. The report should include the crash report if the OS issues one.

Apologies, the issue is pretty inconsistent so it’s making it very tricky to track down.

Hello,
yes it was 3.5.3
The thing is I can not see when saving fails. It behaves normal, but reopening is not possible.

Still happening for me… Just lost a load of work again… I didn’t close the laptop or anything like that, just tried saving and it didn’t work. It’s becoming very frustrating.

Sorry about that. Im still investigating the cause and I have sent you a DM with various questions regarding the issue.

If you could please follow that up it would be a a great help thanks.