Bootstrap 4 - how long left?

Hi all,

I am building a website for a business of mine and I started to build it in BS5 - but a few little things which I use are not ready yet - so my question is, If I build the sites still in BS4, how long is this supported for?..is there a timeline when its pulled? - obviously there is a long long long time left with BS4, but would love to find out how it all works…does it get pulled after a long time?..or does it just stop getting supported?

There are still people making websites in BS3. So you have awhile. Legacy support never really gets dropped. We just keep adding more shiny new stuff to the browser code.

1 Like

Fab ! thank you,

Ill jump back to BS4 for this project then !!, im using an older version of Blocs at the moment as using Card Designer a lot on this project, so will stick with this.

Cheers @Monark

1 Like

Eons. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

You’d be surprised, its a literal plethora of patchwork out there on the web, always has been since day one. For instance there is a Fortune 500 global payment provider that uses BS v4 Alpha 2 (pre-release). Along with a Fortune 500 global financial software site that still uses BS v4.1.2. Tons of sites still use versions of BS v3 and there are even sites that still use all the way down to Bootstrap 2 (even an actual few still using v1, eek).

So fear not you’re plenty safe, most sites are not actually keeping pace. Of course not considering security and exploits, even CSS / HTML / JS that has been officially depreciated will still work 99.9999% of the time without issue. Thankfully the tensile strength of the :spider_web: web and browsers backwards compatibility are very strong - so the web just keeps working.

If / when the time comes Blocs Migration Feature should help those whom need assistance with the transition forward to newer BS versions.

@AdieJAM It’s not a problem with Blocs and BS4, but if you cast your mind back to the previous version of RW Foundation, which was on sale until a year or so ago the contact forms will only work up to PHP 7.4 and an old client site already had something patched by Kualo recently as a security risk. I can’t even open RW projects on my computer now!!

If you think the site will be online for a year or two I wouldn’t give it a thought. If you think the client might want to keep it there for the longterm I guess you want the latest version of Blocs and BS framework available for maximum future proofing.

I’m working on something for an older client at the moment. Their original site was BS3. The job didn’t require it. But I migrated everything to BS5 yesterday and removed a bunch of header CSS and put it in custom classes. Stuff that wasn’t available before and you had to code.

The task I was given didn’t require it, but I know that I have some future updates on this site to do, so it’s prep work really. Because it’s easier using the latest version of blocs :grin:

In saying that, I’m only updating it because of the work I will be doing, other than that it would have been fine until they decide to rebuild their site in another couple of years.

When things slow down a bit for me, I’ll be approaching older clients suggesting updates or rebuilds.

I am doing much the same. If it is an older site that will only have a couple words changed I’ll leave it as Blocs 3 or in one case Blocs 2. Anything being actively worked on is likely to see a migration to Blocs 4 and BS5, as long as it doesn’t break any old custom coding and that would need to be tested.

It is also a chance to tick a few boxes like enabling canonical links, plus any custom brics that I use by default like flexy foot https://blocsbuilder.com/flexy-foot-custom-bric/

Obviously my comment was not suggesting people should sit on the sidelines of the past and forgo advancing forward the web tech in which they use. Though you could literally make a frustrating career out of advising the majority of current live sites (rampant across the web) to do the same regarding various end points which they presently have in use.