Cookies?

Hello,

I am asking if a website made by Blocs installs any cookies in order to understand if I have to comply with the European cookie law.

Thanks,
daniele

Look here:

1 Like

Thanks, I know this site.

However I am wondering if Blocs installs cooked and therefore if I must include the privacy information

It doesn’t. At least I couldn’t see any (before I added Google Analytics).

1 Like

Hello,
although Blocs does not install cookies, if you use Google Analytics in your project, then if it is necessary that it complies with European law, because Google Analytics does install cookies.

On my website created a few days ago, I had to include the message for Cookies required by European Law.
My website only has Google Analytics cookies.
(view image):

1 Like

The only anatytics tool which I know, where you don’t need the Cookie information box on your website is Matomo (Piwik before)

1 Like

Anybody ever wonder why they should bother with these absurd cookie popups that annoy visitors when Facebook, Google or Amazon don’t bother? A little sense of perspective perhaps http://nocookielaw.com

2 Likes

Do politicians have to show that they are doing something?

This is one of those crazy EU directives that makes life complicated for the sake of it. The irony is that people click on the accept button out of shear frustration the moment a page opens, however they never read the details… The cookie directive effectively facilitates spying by unscrupulous webmasters and you agreed to it when you clicked the accept button!

There are a couple exceptions on the cookie law, such as when they are set outside the EU and also if it is required for functionality of a requested service like adding an item to a shopping cart. Personally I just follow the lead of Amazon etc and post a link in the footer to a cookies and privacy page that nobody will ever read.

I think you would have to look very hard indeed to find a site owner who had been prosecuted for failure to add an annoying cookie banner. Now of course we have the ridiculous GDPR directive coming into force on the 25th of May Planned 'cookie law' update will exacerbate problems of old law – expert • The Register

GDPR, arghhh that’s madness itself. I work in the health sector, imagine a patient demanding to be forgotten! The hoops we are jumping through you would not believe.

@MartinC My wife works at a local college and it often feels like the only real purpose of their job is to comply with regulations, rather than actually helping students. It’s all gone completely bonkers.

I’m in the process of putting together a quote for a website that aims to help children progress academically through the use of music and this GDPR nonsense is making everything far too complex for the prices I can reasonably charge. It includes a section that is reserved for teachers to watch videos of kids with learning difficulties, so I don’t want a situation where the client ends up in trouble and turns around to blame me.

I’ve received invites to attend training seminars about this law and they cost over £700 for a day…

The EU directive on cookies needs careful reading alongside that of the UK ICO.

I read them and my understanding is that you do NOT need to put up a warning if you use cookies to enable or facilitate the working of your website. e.g. you use a cookie to maintain the state of a transaction from one window to another.

Since we do not use cookies to track users across websites or to sell information on our customers, we believe that our website conforms to EU regulations. We do NOT display a banner asking the users permission to stire a cookie. We did try to get confirmation from the UK ICO but gave up on that fruitless exercise.

We added a section in our privacy page stating that we do not need to ask their permission to use a cookie to use our website. No one has complained so far.

I suspect that many organisations use EU directives on cookies and GPDR to create doubt and to drive business to their websites and seminars. We simply decided to read the regs.

Rob

My impression is that the UK government knows this legislation is a bit daft, but they had to keep up the pretence by putting it into law. Active enforcement is quite another issue and I don’t see any evidence of the information commissioner going after small site owners. In fact it was years before they even bothered to add a pop up on their own site.

Much like @rwillett I’m not tracking visitors on other sites and I don’t hold any information on them unless voluntarily provided via the contact form. There is a CloudFlare cookie for security purposes and on one site has a pop up shopping cart hosted by the billing company, so both of those fall within the category of strictly necessary, therefore I’m not going to mess up my website with a needless cookie banner. The link at the bottom of the page is quite enough and covered under implied consent.

The one that really makes my blood boil if EU VAT on digital downloads, because I am effectively paying an increased tax rate from a zero threshold, while forcing my customers to jump through additional hoops to comply with the buyer location nonsense. It was absurd to make this a requirement for small businesses.

hi, if i paste the code in html widget in blocs it doesn’t appear