CSS Grid

Just wondering if the new CSS Grid system will become part and parcel in Blocs.
It seems to be gaining great traction and being support well in browsers. Besides that the concept is great and will be the next revolution in webdesign I think.

https://gridbyexample.com/examples/

2 Likes

I’ve been exporting Test Blocs projects and importing into Pine Grow where CSS Grid is Native. It’s almost like tables. But the terms tracks and other things seem to not entirely intuitive…:slight_smile:
Anything that requires less lines of code and works on more browsers is bound to get adopted over older frameworks. This seems to be what CSS Grid and Frameworks 7 are touting. CSS Grid allows the browser to design your page to an extent. Rather than try and create breakpoints, floats and such the “Grid” just allows a natural flow. At least that’s the theory.:wink:

To my understanding Blocs 3 will continue to leverage Bootstrap, with Blocs 3 being updated to Bootstrap 4 which is based upon Flexbox, that in itself will be a big improvement. Users can always choose to intermingle CSS Grid themselves via the HTML Bric, Custom CSS, or via custom Brics, etc., if they desire.

But given the core reliance upon Bootstrap by Blocs, the near focus of the app might not be providing a visual way to work with CSS Grid via the app itself for some time. Only @norm could shed proper light regarding such things moving forward and the direction things will ultimately go.

Yes that might be so but I believe css grid will be the default layout tool and already flex box plus other components play very well with grid even at this early stage.
By its rapid uptake already and the excitement it’s creating around the web, technologies not based on it will struggle and be left behind I think.

Great to hear what you’re thinking though appreciate your reply.

:wink:

You needn’t try to convince me regarding the purpose and benefit of CSS Grid as it pertains to moving forward concerning web development. You’re playing to the band. :–)

But the fact still remains concerning Blocs:

Your interest and intent is fully understood however.

EDIT:

I am sure @norm likewise understands its importance and how having some sort of CSS Grid inclusion (or its absence) will impact Blocsapp heading into the future.

Dun Dun Duuuun …

@daveedwards, here is some news “CSS Grid” is 100% coming to Blocs according to @norm.

CSS-Grid-Blocs-App

Still remains uncertain when, but hopefully it reaches fruition.

I watched the video on the new CSS system grid and it looks like Tables to me. :smile:
Love his presentation, he has made it very clear.
Does anyone know @daveedwards, @MDS, @HMM of or used a new CSS Grid System Generator?
Here is one I found.

I know this topic is about 2 years old now, but are you @Norm still going to implement css grid into Blocs?

1 Like

Although no UI options yet, you can still use grid easily enough. My tutorial on making a responsive table uses Divs and CSS Grid. I also show you how you can set it up to see your changes on the canvas live.

1 Like

Oh, is that on your YouTube channel? Ah yes, found it :slight_smile:

1 Like

@pumpkin using a similar process you could use Grid on the Blocs Canvas :slight_smile:

I’ll try that for sure. Need to get a bit more familiar with the CSS part though :wink:

Certainly thats a valid inquiry though @pumpkin.

Maybe the above tidbit from Norm gives some indication or then again maybe it doesn’t (ha,ha). On one hand a Bloc-ified approach to work with CSS Grid through the interface GUI would allow various ways to optimally accomplish certain visual outcomes for users. Though using CSS Grid would certainly change aspects of the code output that Blocs sites would then use for those areas of a site that utilize CSS Grid.

Maybe we’ll see it within the version 4 release lifespan or maybe not until version 5 and beyond? Perhaps Norm will post here with an update as excited as the 2+ year old tweet response above.

Lets just hope he’s not waiting for the new Level 2 Subgrid (3% support) to get to the same 95% browser support that CSS Grid has before Blocs users see it available via the GUI. :grin:

At some point we would like to see it visually exposed in Blocs.

But we have no ETA :man_shrugging:

2 Likes