Emails with host or external

Hi all,

A few months back a topic was brought up from @Flashman on emails. Now my personal email from my event business is done via google business email : Google Workspace (formerly G Suite): Pricing plans

Now my question is - I would feel much safer for my clients emails done this way than through my hosting, not just because of security, but mainly because the size of emails will take up less space than on the hosting.

I am not considering advertising all the business emails done via google workspace now and adding the fee to the yearly cost - or maybe getting them to take it out…dunno.

I have seen some web companies offer the emails are done via Office 365.

Just a thought !!!

Depends on client needs. For non profits office 365 is excellent price wise and I’ve helped people move away from local file servers to SharePoint. (Which does have a slight learning curve, understanding client workflow is a must here).

Good idea to set yourself up with the referral and affiliate programs. With google you get discounts to offer too.

1 Like

You have to read the small print with Office 365, since not all charities are accepted with special terms. I developed a website for a care home and they were turned down on the rather spurious grounds that they provided healthcare or something similar.

I wouldn’t be overly concerned about security if you provide web hosting, assuming you choose a respectable web host and users connect via SSL. The bigger issue is clients using up lots of drive space for email. I was caught out with this about 18 months ago and relieved to pass the headache on to another developer.

For most small clients it would be quite reasonable to set a space limit of say 3-5 gigs for email storage, but say anything more has to go on Office 365. This needs to be spelled out and planned in advance.

1 Like

Yeah - good idea. I will drop google an email over the weekend.

I am really happy with what google offer - my email has been rock solid and works perfect - and not a bad price as I pay ÂŁ7 a month and I get unlimited storage too. I have over 5TB of video and audio stored. I was an early adopter in their software so they kept me on their top package.

They are mainly businesses but thanks for pointing out.
I will prepare myself for 365, but I am considering google as my offerings - but know some businesses are anti-google.

I am using siteground for my hosting and to be fair - they are really really good, the best i have ever used.

I suspect you would find Office 365 is an easier sell to most businesses, not least because many will already be familiar with the way it works if they have ever worked in an office.

1 Like

A minor update is that MS will be increasing the cost of Office 365 next year.

cheers - i do think the price is pretty reasonable to be fair for business use, but I know many businesses moving away from 365 (funny enough, a client i spoke to just yesterday they had lots of issues with their emails and microsoft’s support was terrible, so moving over 650 staff to a new platform…not sure what)