Gallery suggestions

Hi, as some of you know, I’m primarily a dog portrait artist now after many years of graphic design.
I’m currently updating my website and just after some opinions on galleries and bandwidth.

Previously I’ve had a page for each year of painting, but I’d like to combine these pages into a single page, which obviously will have some ‘weight’ to it (like me!).

So at the moment it’s 4 year’s worth of paintings and I was thinking of the following scenario:
The gallery page shows the current year’s work on opening.
Below that, a modal each for the other 3 years (so 4 modals)
and I will be using Volt cms throughout for regular updating, and the Lightbox option, so need decent size pics for full screen. At the moment each picture is optimised down to about 400kb

I suppose my questions is, will the modals all load at page opening (the pictures loaded in the ‘closed’ modal), or do they load when the modal is opened? Just thinking of how to possibly keep down page load times. And open to suggestions!

Hopefully that makes sense.

Thanks all.

Hi @TrevReav ,

From knowledge the modals will all load if all on same page. I had over 60 PDFs on Modals for a live stream website once and it was not very quick, but manageable for what the client wanted - noticed a delay vs the rest of the website. There might be a way to only open them when they are clicked, but I believe this is not the case.

So with the above in mind I personally would do a page per year but thats just me as in time this will go to 5…6…7…etc.
I would prefer a page per year anyway as a user, would find it nice to navigate…but im guessing thats all depending on how its delivered.

Good luck either way! your work is tidy, so will be nice to see how you do it.

1 Like

Thanks @AdieJAM, answer appreciated. I was basically trying to condense the site down from the main menu, but now thinking of having links to the separate years from the main 2023 gallery page - that’ll still keep the menu small-ish.
It’ll be nice for ME to see how I do it!! :hushed:
Cheers.

1 Like