[GUIDE] How not to get confused with photos when adding them to the site

I wanted to say a few words about how to live when the project has a lot of photos, and you choose which ones to put on the site.
Example - yesterday I was sent 500 photos with resolution of 5696 x 3797 and weighing 5-6 megabytes each.

The task was to choose 19 photos for the slider.
Also about 50-100 photos for the gallery.
Also separate photos for different sections of the site.

Also for all the photos except for slider on the main page you have to create some preview. For previews, I use 1200 by 800 pixels and impose a sharp filter so that the picture would look nice.

How to choose all the photos for all sections at once?
With the help of tags. I use colored tags.
I use the red circle - the photo is no good or a duplicate. Delete it can not be because then it can be useful for social networks.
Green - already added to the site.
Purple - photo on the slider.

Inside Blocs I create a poppy name that coincides with the date when I received them.

All files before I start, I rename them according to this format:

“290_backyard_Interior_Royal_13”

Explanation:

“290” - each photo always has its own unique number.
Conventionally speaking - if I need to make a preview of a photo - then the file with the photo preview will be called this:

«290_backyard_Interior_Royal_13_1200_800»

The number of this photo will never change. The original photo is always called “290_backyard_Interior_Royal_13” without specifying a resolution.

Why is it needed?

When you add the photo directly to the page - all you have to do is type the photo number into the search - and you will get only what you directly need - no matter what folder the photo is in.
This has made my job a lot easier.

How to do it:

1. For tagging, I use MacOS’s built-in tools. It’s great that you can assign multiple tags to each photo - because for example I want this photo to be in the slider in the gallery and on the online store page. So I put three tags and that’s it.
  2. To rename, I use the macOS built-in rename tool. It becomes active when I select two files at the same time. It allowed me to sort and rename 500 photos fairly quickly.
  3. Always implement all the content in the project. A photo or file can be accidentally deleted. You would not be likely to delete a project file.
  4. In my case, I had to replace all the old photos in the project with new ones. To do it, I found all unused photos in Asset manager with one button and deleted them.

I know that the guide may seem a bit useless - but take my word for it - I got such a headache for not naming photos and files in the projects - that I would not wish this on anyone.

1 Like

Might want to consider the importance of image name SEO these days. A high percentage of searches are for images.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for taking the time to put this together.

Even though these are WordPress, I think it would be great to have something like this in Blocs. I’ve brought this up many times in the forum, but have not received much input.

1 Like

Are you referring to inserting - (hyphens) between each word?
Example 290_backyard-Interior-Royal-

1 Like

Nope. The name itself.