Image optimisation, format and Volt CMS

I use affinity photo and try to find a good compromise between quality and file size when exporting, usually this is done very quickly with the presettings. Then I use ImageOptim. By the way, ImageOptim automatically removes all meta data from images.
And now I’m watching the sun rise and enjoying my coffee. Black, of course!

1 Like

Lots to look into here thanks. All information is of value to make an informed decision.
MILK! All that sugar. It has to be black, or with thick cream; almost no effect on the bold sugar with all that taste. C’mon you know I’m right!!
The sun’s not up here yet @wolfganghofer .

… or the elderly!
@PeteSharp, we’re also lucky to have grass fed cattle here in the UK, so our farm produce is as good as yours, and I live in the countryside.
:yawning_face: :coffee: :coffee: :milk_glass: :fire:

@Jerry :rofl::rofl: yep black coffee all the way.

@apswoodwork apples and oranges. Best dairy :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: that’s why we export it.

1 Like

It sounds like you are on track to become a vegan. I’d stick with oat milk though.

2 Likes

Actually mostly lactose intolerant :joy: but it makes the best chocolate :crazy_face:

@PeteSharp Best dairy, whatever man.
The lamb’s good tho.
Going off track a bit here!

Most are to a degree. We’ll the only mammal that drink the milk of another consistently.

1 Like

True. Didn’t meant to high Jack the thread.

I’m latte to the party, but I use my RAW processing app, Capture One, to optimise images. Also have Affinity Photo, and have been known to use that too.

The best way to use ImageOptim is to use it on the exported blocs file. This will allow you to use your full size images in the blocs project and only optimise them once the website has been exported. Just open the images folder, select all the files and open with imageOptim. All the files will be neatly optimised and retain their file names. All of the original files used in your project will be completely unaffected.

2 Likes

Squoosh is in a league of it’s own IMHO.

It was ceated by Google when they developed webP in 2010 and is free to use.

I used to use jpegMini but after using Squoosh, I realised that jpegMini is not really focused on web use, but is focused on on reducing storage size while preserving the image. Squoosh is very much aimed at web use.

What is significant is that Squoosh can resize and then optimise without doing an image degrading save between the 2 processes. It has lots of settings but the default ones are just right. There is also a slider to compare the originaland optimised side by side.

I find that a 75% optimised and resized webP, jpg or png looks good and is significantly smaller than a jpegMINI jpg or ImageOptim png image.

Don’t confuse Squoosh with Squash.

3 Likes

There is actually a Squoosh desktop app, though I haven’t tried it.

2 Likes

And I guess a Google developed app will tick all the boxes.
@webdeersign, Thanks for the heads up Gary.

This shows as ‘Unverified’ so I’ll keep away.
Worth a try though.

That’s partly why I didn’t proceed to test it.

I think we should acknowledge that Blocs Plus has a built in image editor that can also resize and optimise images, along with other changes.

Having been a professional photographer previously, I tend to tweak everything using apps like Photoshop, but for some Blocs may do all you need.

Squoosh is open source and available for anyone to create an App with if they choose.

The primary way to use Squoosh is to use the web service at https://squoosh.app - this is not an app BTW. It is a web service.

There is also an actual multiplatform App called Squoosh Desktop available at https://squoosh-desktop.vercel.app.

I have used both and there is not much to choose between them.

Hi @webdeersign
It’s the desktop app I tried that’s unverified.
Looks pretty good on web interface though

I was looking at the jpeg mini site not long ago after @apswoodwork mentioned it and I cannot help thinking not many would buy that for web usage nowadays. It’s expensive and Jpeg itself is starting to feel like a legacy format for web usage. Apple hasn’t helped in that regard.

I have also tried the Realmac Squash app as a demo, but it sure is slow on my intel mini, particularly on AVIF files with lots of screaming fans while brewing a cup of tea. The price on that one also seems like a hard sell.

In Affinity Photo I like the fact you can select different Jpeg algorithms depending on the type of image. It’s kind of surprising though that there is no option for either WebP or AVIF at this point. Certainly WebP is way overdue.

For PNG it’s hard to beat https://tinypng.com if you need images with transparency.

1 Like

Me too it’s great.

Indead tinypng.com is cool and I used it often.

Anther online tool which earns my respect is
https://123convert.com

https://squoosh.app is one image at time, unless there is something I am missing.

Also when taking an original image down sizing it to say, 1024 X 768 px is not possible. So in other words you can set the exact size of width and height.