IPad V1 Beta app crash after connecting fonts

Hey, @Norm. Not sure yet your preferred way of communicating issues found regarding the iPad beta. I posted one through test flight and will do it here as well. I’m sure you will share your fancied way here.

When opening an existing project on the M1 processor it crashes when starting to connect fonts within the project. To be more specific it crashes when connecting the last font out of a range. I opened 3 different, existing projects. The first one uses 5 different fonts and the second and third only 2. in all 3 cases when connecting the last font the App crashes. However, in two cases after a restart, the fonts were added and in one case (the 5 different fonts project) the project crashed twice before running properly.

Both projects had custom Brics installed. Not sure if this could be part of the issue.

Yeah I noticed the ticket in TestFlight too.

I was going to ask, the fonts, are they local or Google fonts?

There are a few crashes with fonts I’ll have fixed up in the next build.

Hi Norm:

Is this where you want us to report “stuff” with the iPad beta?

Thanks
Rich the Weather Guy

If Blocs crashes you can file a report via test Flight. I’ll create a new thread here in for for feedback. Put it all in there.

:sunglasses:

1 Like

Feedback here :point_down:

2 Likes

Local fonts.

1 Like

Any chance you could please uninstall the fonts on iPad via Blocs Font Manager and then open the project and install the fonts. When Blocs crashes send the crash report to us via test flight it should be automated.

From that I can probably see what the issue is.

1 Like

Ok, done.
I drilled it down a bit. The app crashes when adding a folder with multiple fonts inside. When I just reconnect one (1) font it works like a charm.

1 Like

Ok this is helpful.

When you say multiple fonts inside, do you mean multiple sub-folders with fonts inside of those or a folder with just multiple font files inside.

The file only uses railway medium. When disconnecting this font only and reconnecting after a restart there’s no issue. The folder contains the whole font family in different formats. Could this be the issue? :thinking:

2022-05-23_18-28-33

@Jerry Are you using a very old version of Font Plop? I see you have eot and svg, which are pretty much pointless these days and were removed from Font Plop as font formats.

I actually never used it. I installed it looooooong time ago and should delete it from my laptop. The laptop is only 2 years old but Font Plop is around on it since 2017 :rofl: :thinking:.

I’m using: https://transfonter.org which works pretty sweet for me.

EDIT: Deleted :grinning:

OK that’s the latest version and such a pity it is no longer being developed. I wondered, because I saw the FP logo on the graphic.

If you try converting the same files with Font Plop does it still crash Blocs or throw up an error message during conversion? It may be your source file that is a problem.

Not sure as there’s no issue when replacing 1 font only.

I wonder if the Italic version is tripping Blocs up as it has a different name.

Could you please try removing the font from iPad again.

This time before you open the project, remove the italic variant out of the folder so its not used in the initial scan.

I also don’t have a crash report from my end which you should be able to send from the iPad.

No luck with that one. In a second trial, I removed all fonts except WOFF2 format. It still crashes.

1 Like

@Jerry Just to show you on font format compatibility, eot is only supported by legacy versions of Internet Explorer.

The picture isn’t much better for svg fonts. That is basically just Safari and you are already covered with woff, woff2 and ttf.

I would go as far as to suggest the recommendation to use eot and svg should be removed from the Blocs documentation, since they have effectively been pointless for years. This is even more the case if you are using Bootstrap 5, which does not support Internet Explorer.

Practically everything is covered by woff2 with woff as a fallback. Woff2 is the fastest loading.

So I emptied the whole font family folder and left inside only the 2 missing fonts to reconnect in WOFF2. It still crashes.

EDIT: I did the same with .TTF without luck.

1 Like

I’ve just pushed a new build(27) of the iPad app, it doesn’t include a fix for this but I’ll investigate further later in the week.

1 Like

Hi, I’m new to Blocs and to the forum but this thread describes exactly what I’m experiencing.
I bought Blocks licenses for iPad and Mac, and a custom webfont to use in my website.
The webfont has 10 styles. On the Mac it works ok when I install the styles one by one. But on the iPad it will install one or two and then crash. The app then also crashes immediately when I try to reopen it so I have to delete it and reinstall.
I was all wondering if it would be possible to embed the fonts in the project so when I install the fonts on the Mac they will automatically appear when I open the file on the iPad…
Thanks in advance for your help! I’m really enjoying using Blocks especially because I can use it on the iPad as well.

Update: I made a new project on the iPad and tried to install the fonts one by one into it, and the same thing happens. When I do the install I select the folder which has two font files in it (plus some other files), extensions are .woff and .woff2
Another thing is that the fonts don’t show up with their proper name in the dropdown menu under Type Settings, they’re called something like font000000002a6be84f…