Just a simple list with bullets

Can you change the bullet points to dashes?

No need to stoop to dashes: you can insert bullets of many types using Edit–> Emoji. I found the bullet shown after searching for circle. It’s called “black circle”

One way (shown at right) is to make separate small paragraph brics for each line, and insert the bullet you like as a text item at the front of each.

1 Like

Tony Now I have tried this - I’m not sure it works - are you suggesting that you can replace the list bullet with an Emoji or symbol as I can’t see a way to insert it
As for the second option ( on your post Right side) adding a bullet to the first character doesn’t stop the overflow lines from aligning with the bullet and not the actual text.

Here’s an animated .gif showing how I put the bullet in. I have the bullet in my favorite list, but you’d need to do a search for one (like the “black circle” I mentioned). All I do in the animation is place my cursor where I want the bullet and then double click on the emoji – then it inserts. I agree with you that if you have bullet text long enough to wrap back this may not be the best way. The point of my post was that the emoji was superior to using a dash. I’ve also attached the .bloc project.

My Site.bloc (728.9 KB)

2 Likes

there is a shortcut for bullets: e.g. (german keyboard layout): alt+shift+ü. Test it on your keyboard. i am sure you find the shortcut for your layout.

for non QUERTZ keyboards alt+shift+9 will also work.

Thanks But isn’t this getting away from the OP request to align the text part when lines break to a new line.

Also my secondary query was changing the default list character to something other than the bullet.

BTW option 8 always adds a bullet character on a Mac.

A trick to make bullets is to use a background image for the bullet (left-aligned), and then use padding to move the text to the right of the bullet.

Norm, I am trying to make a list of notes appear at the bottom of a site. Following your advice, I now have a List and within that list I have added Paragraphs to each list item – which is a real pain because I have 26 list items! Anyway, when I click on “List” in the left sidebar and then look at the right sidebar, I see Appearance > Style and bullets. That’s nice and much better than using emoji bullets like other suggested because you get the proper INDENT for each line (i.e., I may have several lines for each bullet point). But the problem is, I don’t want bullets. I want a NUMBERED LIST. I can do this in Freeway very easily. And while I could manually type in “1.” and “2.” and so on, I would lose the INDENT. In other words, all the text should be left aligned and the “1.” should be further to the left than that. It’s the same when you choose a bulleted list. The bullets shoot off to the left of the text, as they should, and all lines of text for each bullet point is beautifully left-aligned.

So how do I get numbered lists in Blocs?

Adding the Code Widget bric is the only solution I can find, and it’s certainly NOT a lovely solution, let me tell you. It would be nice if I could just choose bulleted lists or numbered lists in the right sidebar. Freeway lets me do that rather easily.

Thanks,

James

Regarding the amount just set up one and then select the li in the tree and duplicate it with duplicate keyboard shortcut.

No way to do numbered lists. I’ll see if I can get that added.

1 Like

Hi @JDW

You can use the code widget with the code you’ll find in the post I answered some time ago:

MDS

MDS, yes I saw your code in the other thread. And I understand how to modify the code. But what I was trying to say was that it is EASIER to edit text in a WYSIWYG way, inline on the page. If Norm can add numbered lists to the right sidebar in the future, that would be the ideal fix here.

Thanks.

Hi @JDW

Okay. Maybe then it would be better to request it under the wish list category instead. However, I see @Norm has already replied and hopefully you’ll have this in a future update.

MDS

1 Like

I need simple lists that can be used in text/content. I know how to do it in Blocs, but the way it is way now is too time consuming. Take a look at other word processors like CKeditor, TinyMCE etc.: CKEditor 4 Demo - WYSIWYG HTML Editor

It should be this easy in Blocs. And while I’m at it: although I generally like the idea of placing Brics, if it was up to me i would move all text markup to the inline text editor where you can already make text bold, bullet list, paragraph etc. Like this:

This would speed up my workflow big time

1 Like

this changes the font that i usually have to helvetica(?)

I hope we get “normal” ordered & unordered lists soon. The so-called “Blocs structure list” is cool, but I really need a no-fuss way of writing plain old lists in text. Please make it easy like TinyMCE, CKeditor, Word, etc. :slight_smile:

so any idea so that the font does not change?

Sounds like an opportunity for a custom list bric developer

1 Like

Interesting topic. Blocs still only has the slightly awkward list brick. I make quicker lists in TextEdit formatted with bullets and copy/paste it into a text brick. That works for short list items, because at line breaks it’s not perfect.

You could use the Markdown bric Markdown Parser | Blocs Store

1 Like