Let's Encrypt SSL

A little heads up that the Let’s Encrypt’s Root Certificate expired today and will need to be renewed. This should be automatic and unlikely to affect reaching any websites, however it could be tricky for some email clients or other services.

I just had about 40 emails come in for various domains saying the certificate had been renewed so I figured something was happening. This is affecting all cPanel platforms globally and any platform which uses Let’s Encrypt to issue certificates.

There is a long geeky article here below, but in summary just check your sites and email. If you have any issues probably best to contact your web host.

Now that was one interesting article. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Do you think every platform will be impacted in some way? Do you think everyone will have a solution?

Most of this is way above my technical knowledge and I am just relieved we have a free option that is easy to apply these days. At one time having an SSL certificate installed was a big deal.

From what I have read it will likely impact some users of older OS versions and I saw some complaints on twitter from Chrome users. No doubt some found themselves with an unexpected headache today.

As far as I can tell my sites are fine on every device I have tested. I did have to accept the certificate for email on my client server, which wasn’t needed before.

My web host posted this 8 hours ago and labelled it as recovering:

Our engineering team have been applying changes to mitigate the effects of this issue and continue to do so, working with high priority to reduce the number of impacted customers while awaiting an official resolution from cPanel.

Our apologies for those continuing to be affected by these email SSL connection problems.

I would simply suggest people check their websites and devices, then verify the situation with their own web host.