Lock video

Is it possible to ‘lock’ an embedded, locally housed video on a site to prevent it from being downloaded? I’ve enabled site wide image protection, but that doesn’t appear to apply to videos. I know there are other ways a visitor could capture the video, but it I still want to be able to prevent them from being directly downloaded.

Hi @reg, add the following to your .htaccess file and make sure the page uses .php

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} \.(mp4|mp3|avi)$ [NC]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http://sample.com/.*$ [NC]
RewriteRule ^.* - [F,L]

Note: This will only make it more difficult but not impossible. If you don’t want to share, don’t put it on the internet. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

@Jerry Great, thanks for the code (and taking the time to answer). Yes, I know it’s hardly a 100% solution, but no point making it easy!

Thanks again and enjoy the palm trees (it’s -4 with 40cm of snow here in Zurich) :cold_face:

1 Like

Yeah, it’s survival. It’s a bit chilly today; only 33 degrees. :desert_island: :beach_umbrella: :palm_tree: :coconut:

3 Likes

33c is the perfect temperature to be in my pool. You can see the steps handles, sticking out above ALL THAT SNOW!

1 Like