Love Blocs Hate the Menu system

I’m so frustrated with the menu system in Blocs! It should just work! I’m sick of wasting time trying to get them to work correctly… Made a simple menu, didn’t change anything but the menu text color to white. Left it in the default drop down menu. Works great on laptop, phone displays great, but when I rotate my iPad to portrait and the menu changes to the mobile icon when I click on the dropdown background menu is white so the text links does not show up. So how does the mobile view on my phone work great and the mobile view on the iPad doesn’t.

Changed menu to to slide out. Yup background color is black which is ok. The problem is now I can’t even touch a link and have it go to the page. The menu just goes back really fast.

I must say I’ve been a long time supporter of Blocs but these menu bugs are getting the best of me!

Casey

Sorry for the frustrations @casey1823, the navigation in Blocs is a more technical area that does still need more development. Could I just ask, is this using the most recent version of Blocs 2.3.1.

The reason this happens is because the design adjusts based on the width of the screen not the actual fact it’s on a mobile device, It’s most likely a blind spot.

Going forward I’m hoping Blocs will eventually allow you to add custom breakpoints so you can fine tune designs on each possible screen width if you want.

If you could also DM me the file I can test it directly with how your design is setup.

@casey1823
I’ve had the same. It took ages messing with custom classes.

You can say that again.

Just to clarify this is an issue regarding text colour on the iPad dropdown menu?

Yep. Sorted it with sub-classes tho. :v:t3:

Hey @casey1823, quick update here. The iPad nav colour link bug is fixed and ready for todays beta build 6. Im still looking into the special nav link not working when being clicked.

Thanks Norm, I sent you the information you wanted. I know it’s a very complicated issue, thank you.

Casey

1 Like

here a problem with my nav is so messed up i need help

Even with Blocs 4 navigation menus are a complete pain in the ass. You shouldn’t have to use the None setting and individually style menu components. Margin and padding are problematic and make positioning the navigation menu even more challenging than it needs to be.

I think a more detailed Navigation Menu settings in the inspector would go along way to making Menus less challenging and work intensive.

What kind of options would you like to see?

You can still use the menu system and style the navigation.

Let me get my thoughts together and I’ll post them in a day or two.

Thanks

2 Likes

I would like to see basic styling and positioning settings.

MENU

• Logo
  • Menu/Submenu: Styling: colour, font with states, borders
  • Menu/Submenu: Alignment: within navigation contain in relation to logo or company name
  • Menu/Submenu: Positioning: Padding, margin

Menus are one of the most important features of websites and being able to easily and quickly set the above noted settings would be much more streamline then having to add a bunch of custom classes. Perhaps even add these editing features to the Menu Manager.

BULLET LISTS

I also think that lists should be in the Right Click text edit context menu where H1, etc. are located and the Project Settings/Typography/Objects list (Bullet - Numbered - Alpha). Lists are not really structure and from a design standpoint it makes more sense to be able to highlight text and convert it to bullets rather than going through the multi-step process currently required. Unless I’m missing something about how to implement bullets in Blocs.

Then, if users want to further customize they can use a custom class(es).

I hope this makes sense. Let me know if you have any questions or would like more input.

Best Regards
M@

Thanks for the feedback. Some is already possible, but not as simple as it should be.

It’s also the most complicated element on the page and very easy to break, this is why it’s so limited. But we have a bunch of improvements in the pipeline to offer more flexibility.

Depends what the list contains. A list of images and text, or a list of buttons, some would regard these as structure.

The navigation in your website is a actually a list.

Maybe an option to quickly create a text list would be handy. I’ll see what I can cook up. :grinning:

2 Likes

Blocs menu features didn’t satisfy me because I needed a multi-column drop down, so I had to spend many weeks in the past putting together the menu system you see atop the following pages of this website:

Try opening my URL above in a desktop browser and see how it collapses.

All built by hand, with a splattering of code offered to me by @Pealco and other kind people in this forum.

Man, I wish there was an easier way to build that, but now that it’s done, I just add to it or subtract from it very easily. So basically, if Norm can put together a tool that can more easily help people create what I created (in a single day, rather than weeks), I think it would satisfy just about anyone.

Menu is indeed very important but there are a lot of workarounds and the help of the forum is incredible fantastic - And as @JDW mentioned, ones this is done spend yourself a beer :beer:
I decided to create a mega menu this time and it took a while (especially fixing it for all breakpoints). But as you see a lot is possible with blocs already.
This is my test site:

1 Like

A couple of years ago I made this multi-column menu, super easy and in blocs, speaking that it was a very distant version of what is now blocsapp. But making a multi-column menu wasn’t that complicated.

look here

Although if there were improvements in the way of doing the menus, it would also be a great improvement in the workflow.

1 Like

You can do some sweet sub-menus in Blocs with only a few lines of java.
2022-03-03_22-00-59 (1)

2 Likes

Bravo! Considering how long that is ago :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

A me - Mi piace tanto! Ancora…