New Feature Vote - Help us

Hey everyone, we have lots of big new features coming to Blocs for Mac later this year. We would like your feedback on how you think we should spend our remaining development time.

There are 2 more big features we would like to implement this year, unfortunately we can’t do both.

Which one is most important to you?

• Built in Solis Style Previewing
  • CSS Grid

0 voters

7 Likes

CSS Grid… nice :call_me_hand:

2 Likes

What is CSS Grid and why does Blocs need it?

1 Like

CSS grid sounds awesome, but better previewing experience is really needed. Especially considering how good it is on an iPad.

3 Likes

CSS grid!!! What will happened to Solis as a standalone installer? I have the last version. It’ll receive updates?

1 Like

Tough decision, but I might be a bit more on the Solis side. Better / more preview options would be great.

1 Like

Sorry but this “getbootsrap.com” thing doesn’t say anything to me. Or in strait german: “Io capisco sonamente stazione”.
I’m the “non-coding-average-Blocs-user” and I use Blocs as it is.
If it comes to CSS Grid in Blocs, one should be able to use it without any coding.
Folks please keep Blocs simple.

1 Like

CSS Grid is a game changer. Coupled with Flex Box, it allows you to position content wherever you want, with ease.

The Blocs implementation of pre built layouts would be ideal for pre built CSS Grids.

3 Likes

CSS Grid would be great to have more placement options :heart_eyes:

1 Like

There is a great possibility to see the website on any screen size at Safari. It works good for me.

Personally, I think css grid in a builder seems like overkill. Unless you’re building by hand, for the most part you’re doing very similar to Flexbox in the results. CSS Grid would actually serve me as a developer more than it does the average Blocs user.

For this reason, coupled with the fact that iPad is coming soon, I’ll opt for the Solis style review.

6 Likes

Thank you Whittfield.

1 Like

CSS Grid and Flexbox are quite different and are used in different ways.

CSS Grid would be typically used instead of using a Column layout. Then, Flexbox would be used to position the content inside the Grid items in the same way that you might use Flexbox to align content inside a column.

Heres an example that uses both CSS Grid and Flexbox.

In my blog here, I used CSS Grid to create the grid - checkout how it behaves as the screen width reduces. Also note that selective grid items can be targeted and stuff such as promotions or features can be turned on or off or selective grid items can be resized. The content of each grid, is positioned using Flexbox.

On any post item you will see the top display uses CSS Grid to create an overlapping display with the content being positioned using Flexbox.

The 2 very much compliment each other.

1 Like

I’m probably missing something but I don’t really see anything that can’t be done with Flexbox alone.

I’m not saying it doesn’t have it strengths, it just doesn’t offer the average user substantially more. The true magic I’ve found is in hand coding which does offer more benefit.

1 Like

I’ll be diplomatic and say I’d like to see both. That seems fairer and less discriminatory, so each one has an opportunity to be part of Blocs. :slightly_smiling_face:

If we have Solis style preview I’d like an option where the preview can be moved to a separate display with live adjustments in edit mode being viewable on the second display in realtime. That would be massively useful and save a lot of time, as long as it works genuinely well and accurate.

1 Like

As Solis is already built into Blocs (iPad) the only option left is CSS grid. :upside_down_face:

As I suspected this is pretty much neck and neck so far.

3 Likes

Personally I love network preview and you can’t replicate the feel of testing on an actually device. I’d say a lot of people are not even aware of this existing feature.

@Norm as I understand it the bootstrap CSS grid is still in the early stages. Is it good enough to deploy already?? I think this could be a deciding factor??

I do think CSS grid is the future of bootstrap though.

1 Like

Css grid would potentially be independent of bootstrap.

2 Likes