Problem adding local video w/2.5

I am new to this program but have watched the videos here and youtube and gone through the knowledge base (surprised not to see anything regarding adding a video in the base). I am merely trying to add and learn how to use the various elements of the program. I do not want to put the video into the background. I have a drone aerial photography business and I want to display videos and stills taken on various sites.

In drop mode I added a video ‘place holder - bric?’ into a bloc in the global area without any problem .

I now (after numerous attempts) have a 2.5 mb mp.4 in the asset mgr but am unable to get it into either the video place holder bric? or the video sidebar setting window. It took me a long time to even get to this point. As mentioned in a previous post about video problem I could not even get it into the asset manager. I still am not sure how i got it in there despite following directions (from the forum).
I also can drag the mp4 from the asset manager into the bloc and a video bric appears with a centered arrow but can not get the video to play or even appear in the windows

As a final resort I put in an id and created a class and still can not drag the mp.4 into the sidebar or the highlighted video place holder.

Anyway there seems to be some sort of relationship established between the mp.4 in the asset mgr and the video bric. When i click on the video place holder it is now in blue and the mp.4 is also bordered in blue but I can not drag it to either place. Clicking on the + does nothing. When I click outside of the area the blue highlighting goes away as expected. I also have a jpg in the asset manager. These are the only two elements in the asset manager.

Twice when trying to get this dragged over Blocs locked up my entire system 10.13.3 40G. I had to hard reboot.

I am at a loss how to accomplish this, i believe to be a simple highlight and drag over without success.

I have the local / remote setting and I can view the mp4 via the project assets preview mode. So the video is present. When I drag the mp4 into the setting sidebar i see two arrows wrapped in a circle pattern.

After numerous attempts to drag the video into the placeholder (remember there are only two items in the asset mgr. A blocs video appeared and started playing ??? I deleted it and tried again this time the correct video appear and started to play. After deleting it and trying to reproduce my effort it no longer works.

What am I doing wrong?

There might be a bug with dragging the video to the placeholder, support for that was only recently added and depending on the video format it can be iffy.

Remember videos won’t play in design mode only in preview mode (v) on keyboard.

Aside from that if the video won’t play it may be that it’s not correctly encoded as an mp4. I’ve seen movs encoded with some tools that still show as .mov in the info pane in finder.

This is how I add videos, drag the video from finder into the asset manager or directly from finder into the design canvas. Tap V and you can the preview it on your site.

Norm
Thanks for the prompt reply. Tapping V solved the view issue.
Rich

1 Like

Yeah videos can’t be played in design mode, it would be a bit distracting :+1:

Hi @Norm,

I am using Blocs 3.5.1. Video is getting added for me to Asset Manager through the plus icon and there, video icon is getting shown in the center with the filename below that for that added mp4 video file, unlike the photos where preview is shown in Asset Manager. When I try to select that specific video from LightBox video in Image Bric or through Video Bric, I am not able to select the video and the sidebar is showing a black screen with a refresh icon at the center and when I try to drag the video to the placeholder, then also, it is not getting added. Also, when I run the project, the video bric shows striked play icon as it doesn’t have a file. I am attaching the screenshot. Request you to help.

Thanks.

Screenshot 2021-01-04 at 3.38.04 PM

Hi @kunal, Please double check if your .mp4 video file is original and not just a renamed .mpg file as it will not work. There’s a handy and free video tool around called handbreak. It will convert your video to .mp4 format.

Hi @Jerry,

I downloaded a sample mp4 video from https://sample-videos.com and when I am trying to add that respective video, it is just showing the first frame of the video like it was with the earlier image as the first frame of that earlier video was black screen. But that is still not getting played. And when I run the project, I am still able to see the striked play icon over the video bric and empty video modal for LightBox video in Image Bric.

There can be a few problems with videos. One of the most common I’ve come across is videos that are not web optimised. These videos tend to hang at the beginning because they are not set up to stream. So the web player is often waiting for the whole video to load before it starts playing. This can be overcome by using handbrake as @norm suggested. There is an option in the interface to web-optimise the video so that it starts playing immediately. Maybe you should try this option.

Hi @hendon52,

I tried using Handbrake and checked on the web-optimized option and saved the video. Then, I added that video to the Asset Manager and added that video to LightBox video of Image Bric and to the Video Bric as well but still the video is not getting played. I am attaching the screenshot for both.

I’ve just tried on my system and everything works ok. What I DON’T do is add the video to the asset manager first. Instead I drag the video file directly into the interactions section from my desktop. This automatically adds it to the asset manager anyway.

And this is how it displays when I click on the poster image

If your video won’t play in a standard video bric, then there must be some other problem. Can you open the video in quicktime Player? Did you try previewing in a browser?

Hi @hendon52,

I have tried dragging the image as you did, but still no luck. The first frame shows upon my Video Bric during page designing but when I run it in the Blocs app, it shows the strikethrough play symbol like the screenshot attached.
Yes, I have tried opening the video in Quicktime and it is playing fine there. Also, I am just previewing the page inside the Blocs app by running the project.

That strike through icon is usually an indication that there is a problem with the file format not being recognised by the player. In order to try and isolate the cause, it may be best to close Blocs, open a new empty project and add a single video bric to the blank page. Drag the video into it to see if you’re seeing the same thing. If that works, then there could be something on your original page that is causing a conflict of some sort. If you still see the same thing in a new blank project, I would recheck your video format.

Open the video in handbrake and select the Fast 720 preset. Make sure to check the web optimised box and align AV Start. Switch to the Video tab and make the settings as shown below:

And here is what the main settings should look like

1 Like

Hi @kunal, There must be something interfering your videos. I just downloaded a few videos from the site mentioned and all play without any issues on 3.5.7.

I’ve tried all the above advice, but I’m having exactly the same problem. The play button is ‘struck through’ in Blocs preview and the play button is clickable in browser preview, but the video doesn’t start. I’ve tried all variations in the Handbrake settings and still my video won’t play. I’m running Blocs 4.

I’ve discovered that I get nothing when browser previewing in Safari, but do get the audio (but no picture) in Firefox and Chrome.