Publishing an interactive PDF or e-pub document

Thank you for your kindness and sorry for taking so long to get back to you. I have managed to create a flip-book but I can’t get it into blocs. I have included screenshots of what I have tried but I feel that our server setup

Screen Shot 2021-05-28 at 11.43.08

may be half of my problem. Our site currently resides in www2.st-john.or.jp and works perfectly well with blocs web site.
I tried placing the “my_flipbook” with the .html file into that folder with no luck

I then tried raising the level to the following:

with no luck as well. Can you suggest where and what I am doing wrong please? Is there a way to maybe get this flip-book which is just what I wanted hosted somewhere else and maybe linking it into blocs? Or is that out of the question.

It looks like your domain isn’t correctly set up. If you type http://st-john.or.jp into a browser, a not found error gets returned. Your hosting should be set up to point to your domain so that when the domain name is entered into a browser, users will be directed to the index.html of your website. This isn’t happening so you have to check your website settings. Once the domain can be reached, it’s very simple to add the flip publication. You just publish the flip book folder into the root of your domain so that it can be reached by entering the full path into a browser. E.g. http://st-john.or.jp/my_flipbook.

I know that is how it is supposed to work. However, for some reason our provider here in Japan doesn’t work that way. If I just post in http://st-john.or.jp it doesn’t work. It has to be: http://www2.st-john.or.jp/ Then the following hierarchy:

I encounter the same problem with trying to use hosted assets. It just doesn’t work.
I have tried a free web site but they only produce .ftp, not .html, which blocs won’t accept.
Sabina

From what I can see on your directory listing, your main website has been installed in a directory named ww2.st-john.or.jp. which is a subfolder of your main domain folder htdocs. Unless there is some quirk with your web hosting company, it would be more usual to place your website files directly into the htdocs folder. This would probably explain why you are seeing a 404 Forbidden error message when you access the normal domain name - there is nothing in the folder that can be displayed, so the message shows up because the viewing of the folder contents is forbidden. However, if there was an index.html page inside the htdocs folder, the site would display using just your domain name - without the www2 bit.

Once your website is working correctly, all hosted assets will be available to you. It may also be of benefit to not have your site published with clean URL’s. This sort of publishing places each page of the website in its own folder. It may be easier for you to better understand your site structure by simply publishing as normal. This will create a set of html pages and various folders containing images, CSS, JS etc. You can then upload these via any good ftp application directly into the htdocs folder.

On a final note, I would suggest you ask your hosting company to install an SSL certificate on your website. At the moment, the site displays as being insecure, which doesn’t look very good - in some cases, browsers may even block access to your site.

Yes, it is installed there cause that was where our provider placed www2.st-john.or.jp and directed us to use. I have just tried moving the “my-flipbook” folder into the htdocs folder without any luck there either. “not found” It is a quirk of this provider I am sure but nothing I can do. I have discussed this matter with them previously and come up with the same result. Zilch. And yes, I know about the SSL certification which is something that I can do. At this moment I am looking into a good “free” web hosting site or an extremely cheap one to upload my “flipping book” into which doesn’t have all these issues. I found one that worked but it came at a price. Lots of their advertising popping up. Does anybody know of a good place - either free or extremely cheap, where I can upload some 32mbs of a flipping book which Blocs will accept? I know that it can be done, just not with my provider it appears.
Thanking you
Sabina

Hi Sabina,

Your flip book is published and on line - accept the hosting as a gift!

I’ve sent the links to you in a private message.

2 Likes

Thank you very much Hendon. All sorted out and now working perfectly

Sabina :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like