Search & Replace!

When will it be available? This is so 90’s, or actually 70’s as this was probably possible also in WordPerfect for DOS in the 80’s…

2 Likes

No one has something to say here?

I’ve replaced Wordperfect with Ms Word a while ago. From here I copy/paste my text into Blocs and add some classes for styling. I’m using Blocs as a Website builder, not as text editor. Just my 2 cents.

Maybe you’ve already seen these other threads as it has been discussed previously. Though there has never been any indication if or when such a feature within the app may be added or accomplished.

Maybe someday? As users there is not much others can respond with, only Norm.

1 Like

Since I just received an email notification of this thread…

I have a lot to say, but I will try to contain myself. :slight_smile:

I love Blocs, but I do not worship the current feature set status quo. I’m thankful to Norm for all he does, but I don’t let my genuine and heart-felt thanks stop me from making bold suggestions, even at times when my manner irks others in this forum. Progress is a must for any software to remain relevant, and Blocs is no exception. This is not me criticizing Blocs or its current features at all. It’s merely an observation of fact. We must move forward, and by speaking out, we help move the ball forward. Seriously, we do.

Norm is the developer and he is doing a great job. If anyone disagrees, I will be first to jump in a defend him. He has a lot on his plate. Some people say similar words of praise for Norm, but only as an excuse for why things don’t change. I am not using my praise for Norm as an excuse though. Indeed, Norm does in fact need us (end users of Blocs) to occasionally remind him of important additions to Blocs. That pretty much goes without saying and is why a WISH LIST even exists! The more that people mention and trumpet an important feature (however brashly they wish to trumpet it doesn’t bother me), the more likely it will be added at some point. Also, contributing in some way (helping others in the forum, etc.) isn’t required at all, but it’s an insider secret (shhh! don’t tell!) that helping out will get you and your favorite Wish List features more recognition and consideration.

All said, I used to be a Softpress Freeway user. That’s no longer true, but I mention that history because Freeway had search and replace from the get-go, and I started with Freeway waaaaaaaay back in 1999. I used Freeway consistently and exclusively all those years until about 2016 when Softpress closed it’s doors. They’ve since reopened, but I made the move to Blocs.

It doesn’t matter at all to me Freeway is a different sort of app than Blocs. A lot of people who defend NOT having such a Search feature would benefit from it too. Believe me, if Search & Replace was in Blocs, most Blocs users would use it – even those folks who say they wouldn’t. It’s just too useful a feature NOT to use.

So there you have it. I support your Wish List and Hearted it too. Why? Because I’ve asked for it too. And you aren’t wrong to ask for the same. Thank you also for the video, as it emphasizes the need for it.

Keep the good ideas rolling!

–James

2 Likes

Thanks guys. I guess this is a very, very difficult thing to implement in BLOCS, as this “standard function” has not yet been included. It’s still high on my wish list and I’m as kind as I can when I say this, I never want to be rude and I agree Norm is doing a great job with BLOCS in many aspects.

3 Likes

You weren’t rude at all.

What you’ll find in this forum is no different than any other. There will always be some who dislike some or all of pretty much anything anyone posts. But I feel it’s important we stop being so sensitive, just be who we are, and let anyone chime in and speak their minds on all topics pertaining to Blocs. And let’s face it, sometimes one needs be a tad bit provocative to get replies. You weren’t provocative at all though. Indeed, you were obviously and clearly only asking for a very important feature to be implemented. I applaud you for that.

So when something comes to mind, please go ahead and post it without fear. And if anyone gives you a hard time, just tag me in a post and I’ll be there for you. If I’m not tagged or otherwise subscribed to a given thread I may not see it because I am not one who has setup camp in this forum. I come here whenever I can make time to do so, and thank goodness for email notifications that alert me to important threads like yours so I can chime in.

The entire purpose of this forum is for us share things about Blocs and help each other.

Best wishes,

James

1 Like

Thanks, JDW, very kind of you!

1 Like

I think search and replace would be useful in theory and it certainly feels that way as I trawl through a hundred page site that is being renamed. This is requiring updates to both on page text and structured data by hand. In practice I suspect it could also unwittingly break a lot of things.

Think about responsive breakpoints, spanned text, custom coding, custom brics, hyperlinks and the rest. Finding and replacing one or two instances is easily checked and fixed if needed, but replacing a hundred might open a whole new can of worms. I suspect Norm would have added this to Blocs 1 if there were no reasons to avoid doing so.

There is no problem asking for this but your guess is as good as mine if it will ever happen. It’s pointless comparing Blocs with defunct apps from the past. The code base of Freeway started life as a desktop publishing app in the early 1990s. They never did manage to enable multiple undos.

Just to contribute to this thread, the only reason it’s never made it into the main release is because other features took priority.

It will need substantial testing, so expect to see it in a major upgrade rather than an update.

6 Likes

Thanks for this information, Norm.

1 Like

You inspired me to look at the new Xway. Not a good start! Unzip, move to Applications and it doesn’t show. I know it’s a beta, but …

Yep, I looked at Xway about 6-8 months ago and it was just crash, after crash, after crash.
So gave up.
Shame, the Freeway support team were a really nice lot.
But I’m happy with Blocs!

Blocs is brilliant. It does far more than I will ever need.

1 Like

Blocs is brilliant. It does a lot. But can do more.

1 Like

With all due respect, it’s NOT “pointless” as per the fact what is being discussed here is a feature that some want and “reasons WHY” that feature is important to some. I gave but one example why I would like that feature. More specifically explaining “the point,” it is because FOR YEARS I had access to a search and replace feature in another web app. I don’t use Freeway anymore, nor am I praising it in any other way, nor am I seeking to return to it. Whether it is defunct or not, and whether it had missing features like Multiple Undo or not, is utterly irrelevant to my “point.” I merely pointed out the obvious; namely, that other apps have Search, that Search is useful, that Search is highly desired for those of us who relied on it for YEARS in the past in other web design apps, and that I personally think it’s great that others in this Blocs forum think fondly of Search too.

The fact that others want the feature is an encouragement for it to be included in the future. For truly, as Norm very kindly pointed out, it isn’t in Blocs now only because other more important features made it into Blocs. But as those more important features get implemented, Search & Replace then takes on new importance, and people asking for that feature further drive the importance, thereby making it more likely Search & Replace will make it into Blocs.

Again, the ability to speak freely about features important to us is the hallmark of WISH LIST. Ultimately, these suggestions get implemented and help make Blocs, and already great app, even better. That remains true even if some folks feel Blocs current feature set is all they need. Bloc keeps pushing forward, and that’s what I love about Blocs! Thanks, Norm!

1 Like

Who exactly is stopping you from speaking?

2 Likes

Before this gets stupid, and people mis-understand each other even more.

Let’s just agree, we all are in favour of Search and Replace as a feature. Some would use it more than others, and Norm will add it when the balance of time / need and no doubt a lot of app code is prepped to implement it.

Wish lists don’t need novels - make a suggestion and how that will help your current workflow / benefits and avoid documenting the history of time.

2 Likes

Search and replace, in a sensible implementation, should be for visible text (content) in web pages.

I have no idea if that is possible, but I imagine that search and replace for code and blocs is pie in the sky.

There is a difference between “stopping” and “discouraging,” and it was regarding the latter that end I’ve said what was on my heart in support of anyone who wishes to voice a forum opinion without fear of being “discouraged.” How do we not discourage others who have spoken out in for something they believe in? By either saying nothing at all or by voicing support in brotherly love for what they said.

I agree with your “let’s agree” part about Search and Replace! And thank you very much, Pete, for voicing that support! But the mention of “novels” and “history of time” speaks negatively of my obvious and clear tendency toward giving a complete opinion. So the mention of “novels” and “history of time” within the context of your post is actually a prime example of “discouragement.” We need to encourage freedom of expression and thought, not hinder it.

@Himmelstrutz, Thank you again for voicing your opinion. As you can see, forums can get testy, but the point I made before remains. Just voice your opinion about Blocs without fear of being “discouraged.” It’s quite obvious you love Blocs because if you didn’t, you wouldn’t have cared enough to have made time to post in the WISH LIST.

Thank you also for having chosen Blocs. It really is a great app, and believe me, I tested a lot of web design apps when I was making the transition away from Freeway. Norm has done an amazing job on it, and the best part is, he continues to invest significant sweat, blood and tears in making it better. Some features won’t come quickly, but again, don’t be “discouraged”! :slight_smile: Goodness will come in time, and I personally don’t think a “reminder” now and then is out of place either. We all need to be reminded of recommended features that have been on the back burner, such that one day they get the developers full attention.

Have a great day, folks!

1 Like