Silence in the Forum

Where is everyone? The Forum has had just a few replies since this morning. We all know @Norm is extremely busy dealing with the next Beta.

We are all busy resizing our images for mobile devices :rofl::rofl::crazy_face::crazy_face:

4 Likes

I’m on ROFL

Have you checked out Squash 3?

• Been working on some small improvements to my job’s website
  • Finishing up some design changes to my portfolio site and working on new freelance website for my local web design clients and friends
  • Met a cute girl. Trying not to blow it.
  • Got a new M1 MacBook Pro which has been overkill for most of my workflows
  • Ready for the next Blocs Beta :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
2 Likes

I checked it out, thanks for sharing that.

Releasing new stuff…

7 Likes

Having an extremely busy job that pays the bills on the side. :smiley: :grin:

3 Likes

Hi @TMRJIJ , No I haven’t tried it. I usually just use https://squoosh.app I think it has come up on the forum before in previous discussions though. Maybe @Flashman mentioned it?

It was a little joke on a previous thread of @KBConcepts

Painting a Labrador (not literally), on a canvas.

Squash 3 is a Universal app and requires macOS Big Sur or newer…

1 Like

Sounds interesting, thanks for that.

I was interested to see that Squash supports WebP and Avif, so I downloaded it for a test run.

It looks well put together in terms of features, however the initial results were puzzling with Avif or WebP images being larger in size than the original Jpeg, unless I cranked the quality down to a point where it was visibly rough. I tried again with the same image and suddenly it was a lot better, so I guess I’ll just experiment some more. Perhaps the video demo will provide some pointers.

There are some oddities like setting the export size at 80% and seeing the image larger than the original. I always tread carefully when Realmac are involved based on past experience.

For me, we really need a user friendly solution in Blocs that handles AVIF or WebP with Jpg as a fallback before an app like this would see regular use for me. If it’s just Jpgs saving for web I see great results with Affinity Photo and very good with ImageOptim, which is free. For PNG it’s always been hard to beat TinyPNG.

5 Likes

It’s the holidays in France and this is the time when we have the most work in our guest house with busy days from 7am to 11.30pm. So it is difficult to be on the forum.
Have a good holiday.

made with blocs of course !

I’m also using Affinity Photo, Image Optim and ImageAlpha (for PNG’s) for great results. But what caught my interest was the fast resize feature, of course I could do this also in Affinity Photo (with Macros), but in this App this looks really easy and fast. Maybe i should also try this one.

Affinity Photo 2 cannot be far away I would hope and that will likely include support for both AVIF and WebP. I still have old CS versions of Lightroom and Photoshop installed on the old Mac Pro and hoping that Photo 2 will allow me to finally drop them completely. So far I have managed to avoid the subscription route.

Yes, I’m also really excited to see what’s new for the Affinity Programs (in Version 2).

I too noticed a slow down in activity in the forum too - I do think lots of the regulars have had work on, which still using Blocs though ! but busy on their own projects.

I have not been on hardly in 2 weeks due to my events work getting busy, but I am going to be honest and considering moving into the website work a lot lot more - with the website work I had some structure in my life and had family time - recently I have been back to working 18-20hrs a day and sleeping for only 3hrs while event work has been full on. I am eating awful food while on the go and do not feel safe around crowds while covid is so high again in the UK.

I have some major decisions to consider.

I just looked after a few events for Ferrari for the new launch of their hybrid model.

Sounds like web work to me :rofl:

2 Likes

Hi @KBConcepts. You might be able to help me on this one: