Site Broken after update

Many links don’t work, accordions are broken…

Suggestions on a quick fix are welcome…

Thanks

Rich

Hi @WeatherguyNH, I believe all on the forum are happy to assist with a “quick” fix but in order to do so we will need to understand the issue (quickly :grin:) better. What have you done? Which Upgrade? Blocs, Bootstrap or both? What’s not working (in detail)? Is the site somewhere live to inspect (or any screenshots)?

1 Like

Thanks Jerry, of course, you are correct.
All I did was upgrade to Blocs 4.2.
I did nothing else.
Accordions no longer work, Tab anything has stopped working, links are broken in the main menu…

Thank you

Rich

Link: RichLefko.com

Did you by any chance convert your old project (Blocs 4.1 used Bootstrap 4 only) to Bootstrap 5?

Hi @WeatherguyNH, to me it looks your file got corrupted (for whatever reason) all your links have disappeared. Tab anything is working perfectly (normally) on Bootstrap 4.6. If you would have upgraded to Bootstrap 5 TA would have stopped working, but you didn’t do this as I can see. I would suggest to go back into you backups (File —> Open Backup Vault) and restore your corrupted file with a previous version.

I did not update anything to BS 5.
Jerry, when you say back up, do you mean Blocs 4.1 or the backup of my site files?

Thanks everyone…

Rich

OK…Open BU Vault…did not know that existed.

Doesn’t work anyway…Blocs

Last night I exported my site and I back up separately, so I have BUs…

Please be specific…Go backward to blocs 4.1 or use one of my BU Site files.

Thanks again…

Rich

All:

Anticipating problems (I can’t wait to upgrade to Big Sur) I made several back ups last night.
I reloaded one of those and now, under Blocs 4.2 I think everything is working as it should.
I am a huge believer in back-ups and I strongly suggest you make one BEFORE upgrading to Bloc 4.2.

Thanks for the help…

Rich

3 Likes

Here’s my take on backups and if you follow this you will NEVER have a problem that leads to panic moments.

I will also say that even I can cut some corners sometimes…

1. Keep your own backups of blocksapp project directories and keep ALL used assets in them.
  2. Don’t rely on a single point of failure - ie use one device for development and backups
  3. Have backups offsite or in the cloud not just in other devices - anything can be taken in a robbery.
  4. Never go from blocsapp to overwriting a website without having a backup of that site
  5. USE A TEST SITE. Export your website to a test server or create a test subdirectory on your normal webserver, or have a local webserver on your development machine.

NEVER, EVER deploy a blocsapp website over a live site without testing it first on another webserver or test space - particularly large sites.

2 Likes

Well, you never have enough backups. I’m even running backups of my backup. Call me a maniac but I’ve never lost any documents.

3 Likes

I keep an offsite BU of my hard drive in a safety deposit box at a bank. If fire or worse destroys my house, at least I will have a place to start from again. Family pics, important scanned documents, etc.
Your suggestions (and those by Jerry) are extremely important. Like you Jerry, I keep multiple CCC back ups and I also have time machine running.
If you have a mechanical HD in your Mac, it is going to die at some point. They all do. Less so with SSDs, but there is still that chance.

Good point Pauland about setting up a test server…

Rich

If I develop a client site, I create a sub-directory on my server webspace and transfer their website there - they then get to see the running website in a subdirectory of my webspace before I update their real website.

It’s so easy.