The future of Blocs + macOS Big Sur

IMHO, I would not buy an Intel machine now if I don’t have to. Any not necessary hardware updates might be postponed until ARM machines are available.

2 Likes

@InStacks I would agree. If you don’t need a new machine right now it is better to wait and that was my original plan. The only reason I went ahead and bought a mini recently was due to the heavy workload I have with websites that need to be built. My nightmare is being left for weeks waiting for a replacement and it might still be a year or more before a suitable ARM alternative appears.

We are basically at that point where the best option is holding out for 2nd gen ARM in 2-3 years is the best bet in when everything has settled down if you can manage it.

5 Likes

Cheers @Flashman - I’m safe!

I agree with this! I have also upgraded to a 16-inch MacBook Pro last year, even though I have expected ARM Macs soon. I don’t think Apple will release ARM-based 16 MBP or Mac Pro this year, and the really polished version of these Pro machines might not even come in 2-3 years. Until then, I will be happy using the machine I have right now. I expect at least 4~5 years worry-free usage, which is a norm for me.

2 Likes

If we have a Mac ARM machine, wouldn’t then the iPad be able to execute macOS 11? :wink:

1 Like

Hey look over there, its a new version of Blocs with fixes for Big Sur :slight_smile:

5 Likes

It will help with universal apps or better Sidecar Features but I’m not sure Apple would want to muddle the lines between Macs and iPad that far

Same with me @Eldar, as you know I brought my 16" not long after you. I wasn’t keen to jump the gun for the first gen ARM. And my 2013 13" MacBook Pro wasn’t keeping up - video work was painful.

Now the only painful thing is the likely massive drop in value for this beast :laughing:

2 Likes

I thought the same.

1 Like

Just do a back up of your machine before you install MacOS 11.0.

No. You can run any iPadOS app on the Mac, but not the other way around, at least not yet. It IS headed in that direction though :grinning:

My understanding is that the ARM Mac hardware running ARM Big Sur that is being distributed to some developers is based upon a modified iPad Pro CPU board in a small box.

3 Likes

Great, roll all the negative comments online about a pre-production system benchmarks. :thinking: :rofl:

Pretty impressive considering its a ‘gimped’ A12Z with half of its cores in use.

I have a MacBook Air with a T2 chip on it which I installed Big Sur on it and was able to reinstall Catalina on it by using recovery and TM backup.

1 Like

Why did you un-install it?

I put it also on an iMac, because it was running so well with my apps. Actually pretty few problems for first beta. At any rate I wanted to also have a machine running Catalina to compare issues when I encounter them…

:open_mouth: , actually, i’m far more interested by what the new version of Bootstrap may provide as opportunities to Blocs & his community than Big Sur …

For Sure )

1 Like

Yes. I am very curious about what will be the future of Blocs app with the new OS…what new functions Blocs will have to make it more powerful but also more “designer friendly”… it is designer friendly but idk…more design functions/options etc…

Another month has gone by and a couple more betas. Any updates on Big Sur in general and running it with Blocs in particular? I seem to be OK with Catalina, however I am aware it hasn’t always enjoyed the best reputation for trouble free operation.