Trouble viewing index.php file in browser

I have created a folder for a bloc’s Volt CMS project and uploaded using Transmit to the web. However, I can’t view it in a browser. Can somebody tell me please why you can view an index.html file whilst not an index.php? Now, what am I doing wrong?

Thank you
Sabina

Solved apart from a
" Fatal error : Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function Volt\getBlogContent() in /home/customer/www/st-john.or.jp/public_html/Writer/index.php:1 Stack trace: #0 {main} thrown in /home/customer/www/st-john.or.jp/public_html/Writer/index.php on line 1"
on the first page.

Sorry for keep bothering you all, but I am still having persistent problems with you must think quite easy. I got www/st-john.or.jp/public_html/Writer/index.php to open once. Now I can’t get it to open in either Cyberduck or Transmit. Where am I going wrong, please?

Sabina

Got the site viewing again using Cyberduck with the same error msg:

Fatal error : Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function Volt\getBlogContent() in /home/customer/www/st-john.or.jp/public_html/WRITER/index.php:1 Stack trace: #0 {main} thrown in /home/customer/www/st-john.or.jp/public_html/WRITER/index.php on line 1"

does anybody have any suggestions, please?

Should the “writer” folder not be within your st-john.or.jp folder?
This is what shows on the second image.

1 Like

You’ve installed Volt CMS inside a subfolder (WRITER). As documented, this is not supported. The Volt CMS project must be installed inside the root of the domain (st-john.or.jp).

If you want to use a test space, you have to use a subdomain (like test.st-john.or.jp).

Sorry for this circumstance.

1 Like

Jerry I’ve tried putting “writer” in the st-john.or.jp/public_html folder in transmit to no avail

I don’t know why transmit wants to use st-john.or.jp>st-john.or.jp (twice) but that is what I am getting. If I try to open the index.php file here I get:

That is in Transmit

Now with Cyberduck I get the following:

and WRITER appearing at the bottom of that folder

and while it has opened in a browser twice now, I am having no luck now. It says 404 - Not found

Ok InStack, I will go away and try your method and see if I have any more luck. What with the PHP troubles and now CMS I’m not getting past first base.

Again, you are not able to install a project with Volt CMS in a subfolder.

1 Like

Sorry, not sure what you mean!! I’m a little dense. I have got the index.php to open at
https://st-john.or.jp/WRITER/index.php

but with the same error showing on the first page.

Fatal error : Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function Volt\getBlogContent() in /home/customer/www/st-john.or.jp/public_html/WRITER/index.php:1 Stack trace: #0 {main} thrown in /home/customer/www/st-john.or.jp/public_html/WRITER/index.php on line 1

What may be causing this?

Thanking you.

Out of curiosity, why are you using capitals for the writer folder. It seems the url is case sensitive.

Thats attempting to use volt in a sub folder, as Jannis has already pointed out that doesn’t work. You would need to create a sub-domain if you wanted to test.

1 Like

ok tried putting “writer” (lower case) in http://st-john.or.jp/writer/index.php
or
st-john.or.jp/writer/index.php

and 404 Not Found

in either Brave,Chrome, Safari

As Jannis said, you need to test your website on a subdomain like writer.st-john.or.jp

You should be able to create this subdomain inside your Siteground account.

2 Likes

Thank you, Eldar. Did that:

but when I try to open that I just get the same gibberish

same when I try the html.php within that folder

What next can I try?

Stop keeping everything in a sub folder :grin:

Move everything from the writer folder to the root of the subdomain you made.

1 Like

First, again, root of the domain.

If the “gibberish” you’ve pasted is shown in the browser, the server you are using isn’t processing PHP.

will be back tomorrow after sleep and refreshed hopefully. Sorry I know that it all seems so simple to you all but it ain’t for me