What are your export settings?

Hello everyone, just getting a general thought as to what your export settings are? What do you check, what’s left unchecked etc.
Clean page URLS is a must for me because of Volt Blog, as for the rest - really not sure that they make much difference to me, and I hear Lazy Load is probably dying a bath because of being built into browsers.
So your thoughts? Here are my settings for the last project I did.

1 Like

I disable Cache Burst on final builds… well if I remember. Often I quick export :grin:

1 Like

I don’t minify html or CSS during development in case any troubleshooting is needed. These are enabled on final export though.

Under miscellaneous I do not enable lazy load, though I shall test this again under Bootstrap 5, since I gather it has been updated and may be improved. For sitemaps I tend to use an app called Scrutiny, though the sitemaps produced by Blocs are much improved with version 4. Cleans urls are always enabled.

Cache bust CSS and JS are more or less essential during development, however this should be disabled for the final site when it goes live for improved performance.

3 Likes

that’s a very good hint. Thanks a lot!

1 Like

Thanks everyone, good info.

Thanks, wasted today 2 hours due to minify. :grimacing:

1 Like

Great topic, thank you!

What are the differences between Quick and Standhard?
Any documentation?

I had a lot of problems with my Cookie Consent script from Daschmi’s Notizblog. After more than a full day trying to get it to work, I finally discovered I had to turn off the minifying options during export. I haven’t yet narrowed it down to which minify was causing the issue (main.css, JQuery, etc), but I just turn them all off to be sure.

You can set preference to export location and your default export settings (i.e minify cs/js etc) so rather than export and go through the options again it will just export to your specified settings and location.

1 Like

Pete, why do you disable Bust Mode?

Because it’s just used during development. It forces the CSS and JS to be reloaded.

Check out the Blocs documentation.

1 Like

https://help.blocsapp.com/knowledge-base/exporting/

well… I advise everyone to be very careful with the “minify html” option… no offence @Flashman… but this tip just caused me 3 sleepless nights of troubleshooting.
I didn’t realize it for some time, but activating minify html caused an error on my page, meaning one custom script stoped working.
You can ready more about it here:

@Reg this could maybe help you with your problem with the cookie consent script?

Whenever a site goes live you should test it in every aspect, including contact forms and general functionality. If it was fine during development and only gone wrong after changing your export settings that is an obvious clue.

I cannot recall ever having a problem minifying html or CSS on a Blocs site under BS4. Minifying essentially works by removing spaces and comments in code that are not needed by the browser. It could be that the custom code you were using required specific spaces.

One thing that has caused me problems in the past has been the use of over complex server arrangements, especially when a CDN is involved and I have tried to be too clever by switching on every option. A site might be developed with a basic setup then it goes wrong when all the tricks are enabled and conflicts emerge.

thanks for the explanation. :slight_smile: For a coder this all might be obvious, but I, as a total no-coder, just never expected activating one little checkmark could cause this much problem (and even you say this never caused you any problem).
You know since I activated it, I had 2 bigger updates on the website, also changing some 3rd-party Apps etc. Everything w/o any problems (testing and live).
So the problem didn’t show after activating “minify html” directly… but when a few days ago I wanted to implement a little script, this didn’t work and a SyntaxError was occurring. In older versions and new files the script worked…
After checking and reverse engineering all my changes of the last updates (as a noob I of course thought this must have been me, doing sth wrong) only by chance I finally remembered this post and tried my luck.