Will Blog Functionality Ever Happen in Blocs?

I include them on the site.

If you’re using a CMS it’s easy to implement using a blogging system that you just disable displaying the date on. So 1. It’s easy for the client to update or create and 2. If they abandon the idea or are inconsistent it doesn’t matter.

A lot depends on the clients and their area of business. A blog may be the best thing.

I use the motto “just because we can do something, doesn’t mean we should”.

3 Likes

I am building a website at the moment for a client who has an existing WP blog on a separate domain and I advised him it would be better bringing it all under one roof.

The plan is to build the main site in Blocs, remove the blog from the current domain and set up a redirect. Afterwards we’ll copy over the database and place it in a directory on to the Blocs site. I’ll simply create an empty blog folder on the server and place it in there, along with a menu link from the main header.

The real problem with this plan is that my wife has dragged me to a garden centre to look at the Christmas decorations. I first have to escape.

7 Likes

“The real problem with this plan is that my wife has dragged me to a garden centre to look at the Christmas decorations. I first have to escape.”

@Flashman: I feel sorry for you…

3 Likes

That’s exactly how it’ll work.

1 Like

Hi,

i’ve started a project and use this little script to include a blog into a blocs-site: Design Blog PHP
The configuration an setup is really simple and the support fast & easy.
And there is also a CMS-Script available.

Cheers

2 Likes

This will eventually be happen inside Volt CMS.

5 Likes

@mr_xing, this is intriguing! Does this solution allow each of my clients to have their own unique login and dashboard portal?

@Jannis… Eventually?

Hi,

I think this question is best answered by the developer.
And there are also corresponding demo pages for the products: Simple CMS PHP DEMO

Cheers

I am currently concentrating on the pure CMS features, and based on user feedback, I will integrate blog functionality also. Let’s see :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks to @mr_xing, I have found a blog solution Simple CMS PHP DEMO that seems to integrate very well into Blocs projects! Here’s a link to my blog which I’ve just completed. (I’ve added 4 older posts that were on my old non-Blocs website).

https://creativevisualmarketing.com/blog.html

This is BIG NEWS as I have needed a decent blog plugin for quite some time and thus far, I’m quite pleased with this one! @Norm, what do you think? @Eldar?

Here’s a screenshot of the CMS admin panel. There’s a ton of options for modifying the blog to fit the styling of the brand and website color/font scheme, and if you’re familiar with editing CSS, you can do further modifications (which I did to tweak the styling for mobile):

2 Likes

This is the one I plan on putting to good use.

4 Likes

do you have a link showing it being used in a website? I’d be interested in seeing it for comparison!

Blog functionality will come to Volt CMS in the next months.

1 Like

Jannis a.k.a., @Jannis, made a really cool video that may help you.

At the present my El Capitan OS X will not support it. I was so impressed with VoltCMS and it ease of use, I decided to get it and wait until I get a new Mac.
2 Likes

I just checked out the video on the Volt website and from what I can tell, it’s a simple to use CMS, but of course a blog system would require certain unique functionality that a CMS does not, for example, automatically moving and ordering archives and updating menus to reflect added posts, etc. I will keep Volt CMS in mind though for CMS projects. Up until now, the CMS I’ve found that works well enough for my use is Cushy CMS Free and simple CMS » CushyCMS

That’s cool, not being a coder VoltCMS is right for me.

1 Like

for a CMS, I agree. But unless I’m missing something, for a blog, Volt would not currently do the job.

Sure.

A blog does not have a “menu”. Or you have to explain your understanding of this.

As said, it’s on the roadmap :+1:

1 Like

This plug in is super easy to install on the server. The database runs using My SQL. Part of the quick install process involves creating a username and PW for logging into the admin CMS panel. Once it’s installed, making most modifications to the blog (text styling, colors, etc) is really easy from the admin panel. As I said in my earlier post, advanced styling is possible using a text editor if needed. I used Adobe Brackets to do some styling (for mobile breakpoints) outside of the CMS admin panel.