Blocs for iPad - Officially Released šŸŽ‰

What a disappointment! I was so excited about the new Blocs for iPad, but Iā€™m gonna have to say I pass. I am sick of subscriptions. Come up with a one price deal and Iā€™ll think about. These subscriptions are bleeding me dry.

1 Like

On a slightly more positive note, Blocs for iPad V1.1.1 is now available on the app store :tada:

6 Likes

Iā€™m not sure this is a good litmus test. Truth be told the economy stinks and cash flow may be whatā€™s keeping them open rather than closing shop. The world ainā€™t what it used to be and only getting worse.

1 Like

I need to buy another iPad to run this on, but if memory servesā€¦ is it not possible to just pay the Apple Store for Blocs a whole year up front? Then you only pay once per year. Pretty much normal for most apps.

Yeah, Blocs for iPad has 2 price options $4.99 per month or $49.99 per year.

7 Likes

Well hopefully everyone sees this. Should make it easier. To me it just makes good business sense for a small box like you and Helen. I canā€™t imagine that $50 is going break any particular persons business. These days, even as a hobby thatā€™s super cheap. For many that just one night at the bar, or maybe a long weekend for others. The software should make that up in one website invoice. I hope people think this through. Donā€™t mentally trap yourself in a corner.

6 Likes

Exactly. Cheers :beers:

1 Like

Just wondering, is it possible to keep different app versions with a subscription model? Iā€™am pretty happy to have kept versions since blocs 2 to open my specific projects ā€¦

Congrats to the new app! Will definitely try it.

@Norm

Do you plan to streamline the iPad and Mac apps?

I used to dislike subscriptions, but in the meantime I like this model. Pay for software, when you need it.

I did not purchase Blocs 5, yet. Will you switch to subscription there, too? Or will you even offer a big universal app for iPad and macOS?

1 Like

Happy to report that Blocs for iPad works fine on iPadOS 17 developer beta 1 :+1:t2:

4 Likes

You beat me too it!

2 Likes

I know that @Norm said that Blocs 6 will remain a one-time purchase product, but I actually agree with @Plangin that having a single subscription for both apps would be cool. Perhaps it could be offered as an additional option alongside the one-time payment. I believe Agenda does something similar with their app for Mac, iPad, and iPhone.

I can think of at least a few reasons why software subscription service is something many users are growing tired of seeing. (1) Some of us are reaching what I would describe as subscription fatigue. Itā€™s literally everywhere. (2) Itā€™s hard to keep track of all the subscriptions and the ā€œvalueā€ goes out the window when you forget you have a subscription to a service you no longer use (3) most subscription models provide regular updates, whether you want them or not. Sure, itā€™s a benefit on some level, but also a problem if the upgrade causes issues. You typically cannot revert back to the previous version with a subscription, so you are now at the mercy of the developer to correct the problem (4) The developer can change pricing anytime and for any reason. Of course, at that point, youā€™re locked into that ecosystem. (5) Some subscriptions need to phone home and require internet connectivity. This makes it more difficult to work on your project on that transcontinental flight or while working in a foreign country. I have absolutely no issues with updating to newer versions, as in the model currently deployed for Mac. Developer gets paid for the software they offer and when they improve it, add features, and release a new version (assuming end user sees additional value) they get paid again. Whatā€™s wrong with that approach?

I agree with everything you said. A subscription model like the one used by Agenda makes sense because it isnā€™t really a subscription if you think about it. Itā€™s more like buying incremental improvements over time. On the plus side, Adobe gave us Affinity and other great options by choosing to extort its user base with a subscription model on their software

Happy to be out of that cycle. :sweat_smile: