Blocs Lost Classes Solved!

I was working on one of my projects and everything seemed to be normal. I saved the project and when I opened it everything was messed up. Blocs are not recognizing classes and even the menu background is gone, the hero image is gone. Not sure what happened. I downloaded the new Beta thinking the normal 4.0 had been corrupted. But when I made opened any project in the new beta the same thing is happening.

Any suggestions?

Casey

I don’t have an answer for you but obviously this is not right. My only suggestion is that you send the project file into @Norm with a full report and hopefully he can find the cause. Do you have a recent backup you can access?

It’s deeper than that, it’s affected all my projects. It’s like Bloc is not recognizing any classes?
I’ve got things backed up but even using them it does the same thing?

When I migrated I backed up version 3 and I can open these in version 3 and everything is ok. So my guess is something has corrupted version 4 and the beta. Not sure if I should delete 4 and try starting over. I was waiting for some advice from @Norm? It’s the weekend and I didn’t want to bother him.

Casey

Hmm that doesn’t sound good at all. Do you have an option to open a project on another computer? Didn’t you have some upgrade issues to Big Sur a while back? I only mention this because nobody else has reported anything similar with Blocs.

Just a thought, but what happens if you start a completely new project, add a couple images and text etc with some custom classes. Do they disappear?

I went back and did not install Big Sur. Luckly I had everything back up. I’ll try starting something new and see what happens. It just came out of the blue?

Casey

I tried a new project and if I even try to apply a color to a header it just stays black? Crazy…

Casey

Any other issues like applying fonts? I wonder if it might be an idea to try completely uninstalling Blocs 4 and reinstalling, but keep backups of custom blocs and brics etc.

Another thought worth trying is if you preview a project in Safari does it look correct or still wrong? I’ve had times where previewing in Safari seems to fix issues in Blocs, though nothing on this scale.

Ok, I tried this and everything looks good. In app preview and Safari. But as soon as I go back to edit mode its all messed up. I tried closing and restarting Blocs and then my Mac. Still have the same problem?

Something happened, not sure what?

Casey

OK that sounds like nothing has actually been lost, which is good news. The problem seems to be access in edit mode.

Resetting the SMC and NVRAM might help as well. It can sometimes clear out glitches that might otherwise take forever to troubleshoot. I remember a time when Blocs 2 was behaving horribly for me and reinstalling the OS greatly improved the experience.

Yikes, doesn’t sound good.

Send in a copy of a project and I’ll take a look tomorrow.

Do you get the same results on a new project?

I reset the ram and did a clean and nothing is still showing in preview. Tried a new project and it’s like it does not recognize and classes or even setting a color to a heading. I’ll send you a test project file that has some classes.

Casey

Did you try redownloading the App?

No, I can. Do you want me to just install over the current version or delete the current and install?

I just had a thought…

Have you checked to make sure you don’t have wireframe mode enabled on the canvas?

https://help.blocsapp.com/knowledge-base/the-design-canvas/#canvas-settings

This removes styling in app to help focus on the structure.

2 Likes

Your thought was spot on!

Casey

2 Likes

OMG, that was it! I feel pretty stupid. I’m not sure how it was changed?

Thank You
Mark Casebeer
casey1823@comcast.net

1 Like

Maybe you accidentally turned it on with the keyboard short cut.

Glad you are all fixed up! :+1:

That has to be how it happened, funny I don’t even know what that shortcut is!

Casey

1 Like