Blocs, RW, Everweb for specific purpose

Possible on the rollup, but browsing the Artisteer and Nicepage forums didn’t leave me warm and fuzzy. I may need to re-review their pricing, but this is what they show:

That quote wasn’t mine, it was @hendon52 - I have multiple sites, but a majority of which follow a similar, but not to that extent, issue.

The majority of the content is not really blog entries but it’s close enough and probably similar enough to @hendon52 's use case. A number of categories with a lot of content under each growing over time. Allow comments. No multiple editors. I’m not a fan of Wordpress or web-based editors after some experience with the former and lots with the latter.

Certainly I’m throwing a wrench in the works somewhat combining design/layout + content from one tool, but it’s also not something insane either. I have no need for web-driven input forms via Wordpress or a full-blown CMS for my primary use case. I would like the ability to add Disqus or other comment mechanism, however.

I think this is telling - it’s not the first time hearing it either. Any regrets on the switch for your purposes?

Ah, I now see the Ultimate pricing, but only when you choose/click “need more” in the Pro colum for over 10 licenses. Then you see the ultimate option. Sorry, I didn’t suspect you needed 10+ licenses. :–)

Oh ok, I read it in your post where it was not quoted as such. But still think the same for such a situation. Given your criteria I wish you all the best with your search for an app with the features you desire/require and much success with your overall endevour.

Considering I’ve excluded RW8 at this point, I went ahead and bought both Blocs and Nicepage , Blocs because I want it to get where I can use it for my purposes, and NP for ‘crap, I need to do something soon’ and hoping I’m not burned on it. I should have spent more time with NP before the purchase (you are correct on their pricing - there’s not a whole lot of actual info there, but the $60 ver…), but was scrambling for ‘need to update and add content even if it’s a temporary tool.’

NP is nice in a single-to-couple-pages kind of way, and does have some interesting capabilities.
Some limitations immediately apparent in NP, some of which apply to Blocs for my use as well.

• Images have no options for captions, very basic slider
  • File Mgmt for multi-file sites = pretty much same issue as Blocs. Different, but equally problematic if dealing with more than a couple of files.
  • Their templates are all assuming single page while page types are limited…great if doing a single page or 2 page site, but not of immediate value to me for the most part.

I’ll be playing with both for a bit without the trial limitations. I can probably make something work with either, but neither have an ideal workflow for my specific purposes…will be putting some things into the Blocs v4 wish list and see how it goes.

2 Likes

Welcome aboard with Blocs.

Good luck with things.

1 Like

I am a little out of touch with the latest RW developments. There has been a new version of Stacks for example, so there have no doubt been a few changes. At the time it had become quite evident over a three year period that RW largely receives cosmetic makeovers with each major release that would then be followed by 6 months of agonising bugs. Sometimes it actually seemed to be going backwards.

All the big functionality in RW comes from third party developers and the prices just seemed to be going up and up. I felt it was becoming a little absurd and when problems occurred there was often a lot of finger pointing without solutions much of the time.

Blocs 2 was a little frustrating after making the switch, however Blocs 3 was a huge jump forward and from what I know of version 4, sticking with Blocs is a no brainer, so no regrets whatsoever. The rate of development with Blocs leaves RW for dust.

To put this in perspective I build sites for a living and I pay for Blocs like every other forum member. It basically paid for itself with the first page on the first site. Every month it pays the mortgage and the other bills. I just wouldn’t use it if I thought there was a better option.

3 Likes