Custom 404 error page

In particular I created the page in blocsapp in html and when uploading to the server just change the extension for .shtml

aqui

it worked perfectly for me

Hola @nelo Mine is on php :confused:

@Stewie_Griffin You don’t have different versions of your website, you only have one. What you can have is different transfer protocols (HTTP or HTTPS) associated with your domain and its site pages. Think of it as having two domain URL’s - one is prefixed with HTTP the other with HTTPS. They both point to the same pages in your website. However, if someone enters your domain name into a browser without specifying a transfer protocol, ordinarily they will access your site via the insecure HTTP protocol. If, on the other hand, they specify HTTPS in their browser they will access your site via the secure HTTPS protocol. The same pages are delivered, but the method of delivery will be different. A bit like choosing between DHL and FedEX for delivering a package.

When you set up a secure site, ideally you want everyone to access your site via the HTTPS protocol. You can force this situation to happen by using redirects to ensure all requests for your domain are directed to use the HTTPS protocol - regardless of what site visitors may enter into a browser. Search engines, such as Google are simply visitors to your website. If Google gets forced to direct its crawlers to use your HTTPS protocol, it will list your site as a secure site - The pages it indexes are exactly the same pages.

The same is true of most www prefixed URL’s. Ordinarily, there won’t be a physical site exclusive to the www version of your domain. Instead, most modern servers create a sort of internal redirect that diverts www requests to your normal webpages. It works like this.

If someone enters “www.yourdomain.com” into a browser, the name server contacts the .com name server and asks if its heard of yourdomain. If it has, it will direct the request to your hosting server and ask it the question “do you know of www.yourdomain?” Your host will normally reply Yes and divert the request to your web pages using the HTTP or HTTPS transfer protocols.

So, by setting up correct redirects, Google will eventually only index your pages via the HTTPS protocol and mark your pages as secure. It may take some time to do this, but it will happen over time. In the Interim it doesn’t really matter if your insecure pages turn up in a google listing. If you have the redirects set up correctly, anyone clicking a link to your insecure page will automatically get directed to use the Secure HTTPS protocol.

Where you can have a problem is if you don’t set up redirects. This can force search engines to index your site using both HTTP and HTTPS protocols. This can look like two websites and duplicate content. This is why it is important to force search engines to only use one protocol through redirects.

Thank you so much for the information! Trying to optimize my site as much as possible :slight_smile:

hi all,

Is this still the best way for a 404 page still or has this been made easier?
cheers

Still works for me.

2 Likes

You can update it on your htacceas.
Ex:

ErrorDocument 404 /path/to/404-error-page.php