Does Blocs have reusable components / symbols?

I’ve had a look through the forum and docs… am I right in understanding that Blocs doesn’t have reusable components?

I’m referring to bits of UI that can be placed in a page as instances and will be updated when their “parent” is updated. e.g. something like Symbols in Sketch, Components in Figma, Masters in Axure, Includes in PHP, etc.

I just read your first post : UI prototyping - is Blocs right for me? and I realize that my previous answer wasn’t at all adapted to your problem… Sorry !

No, no symbols. The closest thing you’ll come to symbols is working with classes. In regards to components, mostly low level components. Not something I would say you can just DnD, wire-up, style, and you’re done. There are components, but it still involves a development process in order to make use of it, such as using custom classes if you’re not already aware of existing BS classes. And you will still likely come across situations in where things might not work as you’d hoped and the fix will likely involve coding of sort.

So as I mentioned in previous response, it’s not impossible, but because it wasn’t intended for app prototyping, it’s not an easy, or straight forward, process.

1 Like

no. Blocs is not a prototyping app [i.e. Sketch], but a website building app.

However, with custom classes all ‘objects’ that share a custom class will all be changed when you make any change to their shared custom class(s). Objects can have multiple custom classes, so changes occur following any available attribute in the custom class editor.

Additionally, you can save blocs & brics (with their applied custom classes) to a library for reuse in the same or other projects.

What are you looking to do in terms of reuse?

Thanks @DanielF. I realise now the Sketch component comparison isn’t so helpful - a better reference would be Dreamweaver’s “Snippets”.

Custom Classes would get me half-way there, but as far as I can see they let you re-use and update common styling. I want to do the same but with content and JS behaviours. If I change a Blocs or Brics in a Library, can all instances be automatically updated?

@emcee Basically create self-contained UI elements that can be re-used on multiple pages and updated centrally. I think Blocs has some support for this with Headers and Footers, but I want to do the same for sidebars, contact forms, right down to smaller elements when taking an atomic design approach.

Hi PatTheDog – Sounds like you could use a person with more expertise with JS questions than I can offer, so perhaps @PeteSharp will offer further guidance? best of luck!

Yeah, you can save your own custom Brics; However, in terms of the changes propagating each instance when modifying the saved model – I’m not aware of a way for that to be done in Blocs, yet. Hopefully soon…