I want you to improve the operation of the RETURN key in text input of Blocs4

I have a Japanese environment.
When entering sentences, a process of converting from hiragana to kanji is required.
The RETURN key is used to confirm the conversion from hiragana to kanji.
However, if you do this, Blocs4 will finish the input itself.
Perhaps Kanji-speaking people face the same problem.
If this is left as it is, the input will be very difficult to use, so please improve it :sob:

MOVIE > In Blocs4, input behaves strangely in Japanese environment #1 - YouTube

I tried to record the input status.
bloc3 was able to input Japanese without any problem.
But in bloc4, the word disappears every time I press RETURN to confirm the Kanji conversion.
It’s pretty frustrating.

I made the video a little easier to watch.

Shows the key input operation in a Japanese environment.
The key input operation is displayed at the bottom left of the screen.
In text input, words are selected during Japanese conversion and disappear when you try to confirm the conversion by line feed input.
ーーーーーー Input Japanese

After all input is not possible properly in Japanese environment.
Especially, I feel that there is a problem with the operation of LINE BREAK.
I’m in great trouble, this doesn’t allow me to migrate to Blocs 4.

Confirmed environment:

• MacOSX 10.15.7(19H2) Catalina / Japanese
  • Blocs 3.4.7 > No problem
  • Blocs 4.0.0 / 4.0.1 > There is a problem

That is basically the bug I reported to @Norm, the developer. It’s fine in Blocs 3 but a big, BIG problem in Blocs 4. You type にほんご and then hit spacebar to convert to 日本語 and it does convert but that 日本語 part is selected, which is the whole problem. When you hit space, it should convert, and then you should be able to hit return to continue, but the current Blocs 4 functionality doesn’t allow that. Again, that’s a huge Japanese functionality bug in Blocs 4. Please join me in reporting it here.

Thank you for your reply, @JDW. I also send a bug report.
However, I am writing in the forum because I do not get a reply about the problem of Japanese environment.
I wonder if there are few users in Japanese, and the reply from you is very encouraging.

1 Like

Folks I have this fixed and ready for 4.0.2, it should be available before the weekend!

Apologies for the oversight, I’ve never used multi language on a Mac before :relaxed:

3 Likes

Thanks to @Norm , the behavior has improved dramatically.
However, not all have been fixed and some issues remain.
In particular, it is difficult to use line breaks that have special behavior.

The first ENTER key when entering text is still misidentified as a line break.
Why is the line feed behavior different only in the Japanese environment?

I am running Blocs 4.0.2, and I am seeing a small problem related to pressing Return, but that seems to be different than what you are reporting. I see that Blocs 4.0.2 is now requiring 1 extra press of Return after typing Japanese in order to get a Line Break, as shown here:

Behavior:

1. Type Japanese.
  2. Press Spacebar to convert the Japanese.
  3. Press Return to enter the Japanese (so you can keep typing more).
  4. Press Return again – this should cause a Line Break, but for some reason it doesn’t. That is the bug in the Blocs 4.0.2 behavior.

I then changed the MacOS UI language to Japanese via System Preferences here:

After that, I relaunched Blocs and tried the same 4 steps again, and I found the same problem of it requiring 2 presses of Return to get a Line Break. I am running MacOS High Sierra.

UPDATE! I see it affects English too! When I relaunch Blocs in the default English UI (System Preferences), and start another new document and type only English (Japanese input method totally turned OFF), when I press Return, nothing happens. I must press Return a 2nd time to get the Line Break! However, if I click to insert my text cursor I-beam inside existing English text and press Return, then and only then do I get a Line Break. Very odd behavior indeed!

I’ll check this out.

I was able to solve my problem.
I guessed it was a configuration-related environmental issue because there was a gap in the problem, so I used MacCleaner to wipe out all the old data in Blocs and performed a clean install to fix the problem.
I have a problem like myself, so it may be better to adjust the update program.

P.S.
Pressing the RETURN key twice is easy and I don’t think it’s a high priority.
Instead, give priority to problems that you can’t solve, such as forms, which you can’t solve on your own. :joy: